+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Got a Mamba: Have questions

WeatherB Guest

Default Got a Mamba: Have questions

Hey guys,
    I finally broke down yesterday and bought the Mamba Compeition X package with an RC18 12-teeth pinion. I installed a heatsink on the motor and ESC and have these questions:

1. How hot is too hot for the ESC and motor? I was running it in my house (without the body) and after about 5 minutes of running it not too hard it was around 150° for both the ESC and motor

2. When I come to start off from a dead standstill the car hesitates and I can hear the ESC doing something. Sounds like maybe the current protection is kicking in? I have to start off very slowly, but once it gets going there is no problem. I am running the Mamba with all the default settings.

Thanks

P.S. Here are some pics
    Attached Images          

EphiDelt490 Guest

What type of batteries are you running in the car? Good quality batteries will make some of the cogging go away. Also, set your initial power (whatever setup #5 is) to High, as mine would cog horribly when on the stock low. It still does it a little, but I think mainly because I run cheapo batteries that I made out of old cells. Make sure everything in your drivetrain is working properly as well, any binding will heat the motor up super fast. Hottest my motor ever got when I ran it was around 170-180 degrees, and that's after a full pack.

WeatherB Guest

I'm running brand new GMAXX 1200 8-cell battery pack. Thanks for that setting change, I'll do it.

It's raining outside so I'll need to check the temps tomorrow after running outside. What would you say is the absolute max temps for the ESC and motor?

EphiDelt490 Guest

Hmm... I don't know. I would say very low 200's at the absolute max. Email castle creations and ask them, as they will definitely know the answer .

WeatherB Guest

I'll do that

The drivetrain is very smooth and both items have heatsinks on them so shouldn't run too hot. I'll try running it outside when the weather clears to get a better idea of the temps.

EphiDelt490 Guest

Cool deal. Let me know what CC tells you, as I'm curious.

WeatherB Guest

Hey,
    I increased the starting power to High (setting #5) and although the cogging is better it still isn't good enough, I don't think it would have enough starting power to actually make it up a steep dirt hill.

Do I think I should increase the timing from Normal to Race for increased power?

WeatherB Guest

If it helps, the car is 898grams ready to run.

Trickpatrick Guest

Default Comp X :(

I have had the comp x for a few days and I have to say its a dog in the half 8
    I have tried all and the timing wont work it just puts the power band up even higher on # 5 set at 3 that helps a little but its pretty sad I think as has been said here already it just does not have the tourqe that the half8 needs period.
    If you use a 10 tooth pinoin it is better but still to slow on the start and then the high end is lower due to the lower gear so it just isnt right for it.
    I now will have to get AON for sure tourqe is first in this car. ;(

I'll just say it dont.... get the comp X for this car..

Trick

k_bojar Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Trickpatrick
    I'll just say it dont.... get the comp X for this car..
    Dude, you have got to be the only person with this problem...Don't go bad-mouthing a combo or the half8 without asking for help...

I'm putting a 6800 in my half8 and from everyone I know that races the buggy, that's too much motor.....

+ Reply to Thread