+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Overheating ESC (w/ Speed 400 motor)

WeatherB Guest

Default Overheating ESC (w/ Speed 400 motor)

Hey guys,
    I'm new to these forums and purchased the Mini Inferno last night and installed a Graupner Speed 400 4.8Volt motor right away. I took the car to the track today and noticed that after about 5 minutes of driving the car would shutdown. I checked the temp of the ESC and it was 202°F

I then tried making some air holes in the body and even removing the plastic "heatsink" to allow more air flow. This time it shutdown after about 6 minutes or so.

I know many people are running the Speed 400 motor successfully, not sure why mine is overheating. Here is my setup:

Graupner Speed 400 4.8volt motor
    Stock pinion
    9.6volt 8-cell battery pack
    Really tight slipper clutch

thanks

EphiDelt490 Guest

I think it's just the stock elecs are junk. I don't know though, I never used the stock stuff. I'm just judging from the one-piece esc/rx from the Mini-T, as it was utter garbage. May just have to upgrade to new esc, rx, and servo to run the hotter motors.

WeatherB Guest

That's too bad. I just forked over tons of money for upgrades and the kit so I'd prefer to solve the problem without replacing the ESC or servo.

I suppose I can gear it lower or just install an X-Speed

46u Guest

From what I understand from reading this form you want the 6 volt and not the 4.8 volt. I am going to order a 6 volt this week. Will post my findings when I get it and try it. One other thing what battery set up are you running? I have an 8 cell on its way.

WeatherB Guest

Are you sure about that? I'm fairly sure everyone said the 4.8 volts.

46u Guest

Do a search and you will see that people say the 4.8 motor gets so hot that it melts the clear plastic cover over the diff and slipper gears.
    http://www.halfeight.com/forums/showthread.php?t=682
    See what others have to say. I am sorry they are saying to go with the rocket. I am going to get one of each the rocket and the 6 volt but I am staying away from the 4.8 volt.
    Last edited by 46u; 10-02-2005 at 12:22 AM.

WeatherB Guest

Just to clarify, the problem is the ESC overheating and not the motor.

There has been no talk about the 4.8 volt version overheating the ESC.

Also, you suggest a replacement ESC. Which ESC do you recommend for Speed 400 motors and 9.6 volts (8-cell)? All the ones I see are 6-7 cells.

46u Guest

Quote Originally Posted by WeatherB
    Just to clarify, the problem is the ESC overheating and not the motor.

There has been no talk about the 4.8 volt version overheating the ESC.

Also, you suggest a replacement ESC. Which ESC do you recommend for Speed 400 motors and 9.6 volts (8-cell)? All the ones I see are 6-7 cells.
    I would think if it is like my Mini-Z’s, micro RS4 and other electric cars I have one affects the other. All so I asked what battery set up are you running. If you are running the AA’s and not a good pack this could contribute to the problem all so I would think. I am not saying this is set in stone I am just telling what I have learned from my other electric vehicles. I will admit I know more about nitro then electric.

EphiDelt490 Guest

I would use a Futaba mc230cr or just fork over the $100 now for the Mamba setup and be done with it. You could sell the Mamba motor for $40-$50 and buy the AON 4900, or just use the Mamba motor (I use the 6800 and it works just fine, no cogging or heat issues once you put some heat sinks on it ).

WeatherB Guest

I appreciate any help you can offer...

It's a 2/3A 1200 NiMH 8-cell pack.

+ Reply to Thread