+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 60 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Ronny's Corner

Ronny Guest

My name is Ronny, and I'm from Norway. This is my first post here.
    I race 1/8 buggy for Mugen Seiki, RB Mods, Racing +, Neo-buggy etc.
    I just had my Half8 with me to the 1/8 OR Euro warm-up in France, where I gave the car a real run for it's money on the 2005 Euro's track.

The car is equiped with Mamba esc, AC Mini motor, Orion mached 8 cell packs, oil-shocks & tuning springs, last but not least 3Racing alum.towers, motor-mount, carbon top-plate, titanium turnbuckles & tourq-rods..

Anyway, one of my sponsors timed my car while testing it at break-time, and at a nearly 350 meters track, my laptime was 4 seconds of his laptime with the 1/8 gas-buggy :eek:

My H8 cleared the whole 1/8 buggy track, jumping doubles, tabletops etc meant for his bigger cusine.. Needless to say, people was stocked by it's performance indeed. The speed of my H8 is approxamatly 53.km with stock 14.T pinion. The car is so dialed, that all of the other drivers testing it said, hey, what the, this feels just like my 1/8 :D

This car rocks after a little twiking & fiddeling, and the only other really needed options for my car now would be alum.steering knuckles, roll-bars and BALL-diffs if someone would make them. I have already introduced the idea for 3Racing ;)

The reason I want ball-diff versus fluid-diffs is simple. MUCH less rotating weight with ball-diffs. Ball-diffs can as you all know be adjusted to give a tighter/looser diff,. this is equal to go from f.example 3 to 5K in the diff with only a quarter of twist or so :D
    At the moment with the stock diffs, the center diff is making the front wheels spinning way too much, reducing forward traction enormously.

Btw, I have been browsing this site for a few weeks, and have to say I like the manor here. Much like on neo-buggy where I have my own tread called "Ronny's corner" under the Team section. We talk 1/8 OR there of course, but the rules apply for the H8 when it comes to setup's. My car is set up like my 1/8 Mugen Prospec, exept for the roll-bars which I haven't gotten yet..

Anyways, just thought I'd say HI as I'm probably gonna hang around on this great site now that I'm also able to play a little, not only die-hard racing :)

Have a nice weekend!

Ronny Arnesen
    Team Mugen Seiki
    Last edited by Ronny; 05-21-2005 at 12:54 AM.

...Ronny Welcome!! It sounds like we are lucky to have you...i am glad that someone at your level HAS the H8 and is it running it so well...we look forward to your input so that we can ALL have our cars as 'dialed' as yours is...

...ronny i hope you have a digital camera too because i think you will have loads of great pics...

...BTW guys I DO ship to europe I am an international phenomenon

Welcome Ronny! It sounds like we'll have our own Ronny's Corner thread going here soon enough! Can you post pics and details of your setup in the Gallery:

http://halfeight.com/gallery/

Thanks!

Ronny Guest

Hey guys:-)

THANKS for the warm welcome :D Well, I am at this moment not equiped with a digi.cam, but within a week or so, I'll make that happen :rolleyes:

Regarding setup, sure I'll spill the beans ;) But when talking about setup for the H8, it's something I'd like to point out that makes or breaks a setup!!

You guys have already discussed this elswhere in this forum,. namly weight-bias :rolleyes: I hear that most of you have a nose-heavy car!?!? How? One very important thing to remember regarding the H8, is the fact that it IS meant for a 8 cell pack which weighs 185.grams!! A Lipo 2 cell saddle-pack for example weighs around 100.grams :eek: So as you surely see, this will throw the balance WAY off,. and give you a nose-heavy car. A balanced car is Alfa Omega for nimble & precise behavior :)

So, with that said and done, here's my equipment, and how I have sat the car up with those components installed.

ELECTRONICS:

Mamba 25 Esc / Timing:Normal
    Mini AC motor / 16.T pinion
    Hitec 81MG servo / 0.9.sec - 3.5.kg
    Futaba 40FM rec. / Futaba 3PK Radio
    Orion GP1100. / 8 cell Mached packs
    ----------------------------------------

OPTIONS:

Kyosho oil-shocks
    Kyosho Tuning springs
    3Racing TI shocktowers
    3Racing Carbon top-plate
    3Racing TI turnbuckles
    3Racing TI torq-rods
    ---------------------------------------

SETUP: (Car weight = 884.grams RTR)

Front links & shocks:
    2 hole piston, biggest holes, 500. oil, Kyosho RED springs, no spacers, full extention on shocks, top inner hole on tower, and note that both the shocks are equal in lenght!!!
    Camber links, original position in tower, 5.mm space between plastic.c & arm.
    Steering links, 13.mm space between the two plastic cups.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rear links & shocks:
    2 hole piston, biggest holes, 450 oil, Kyosho RED springs, 2.mm spacers, full extention on shocks, top inner hole for the shocks in the tower, and again check that they are both equal in lenght!!!
    Camber links, original position in tower & hubs, hub in original position also.
    B block for toe-in on the rear. It's the original that was mounted as std.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

With the weight of 884.grams ready to go, and this setup - my F&R driveshafts sits perfectly level when the car is compressed and then relized again ;)
    It flies straight as an arrow upon take-off's, and generally performes very much like the "real thing". But I must add one thing.. For a setup to work the way you expext it to work after getting a setup handed over, it's very critical to make ALL of the adjustments in the setup, not skipping the springs for another or oil and such. Try this to the letter, and you will be standing there with a BIG smile on you face :D

Oh, I have some info that you might find handy! Too many racers are beliving that a 40.wt oil is the same as a 400.cc oil.. NOT the case. A 40.wt oil is actually 500.cc :eek: So, when you US guys are bringing your 50.wt oils and 45.wt oils to do this setup, you would actually pore 625.cc oil in the fronts, and 562.5.cc oil in the rears :confused: You have to multiply with 12.5 ;)
    For example,. a 35.wt oil.. 35 x 12.5 = 437.5.cc oil,. very very close to my 450.cc. So, 35.wt OR 450.cc oil in the rears. And 40.wt OR 500.cc oil in the fronts ;)

Also, I can very much recommend using the original 14.T pinion and the RACE timing on the Mamba esc, as this gives a little more snap out of corners. For tarmac, I would use the 16.T pinion and NORMAL timing on the Mamba esc.

Oh yeah,. a BIG thank you to JOE FORD at Castle Creations for hooking me up :p

TTYL guys :)

Shocks:
    Last edited by Ronny; 05-22-2005 at 12:55 AM.

Cool, great info Ronny, and, I've broken this off as your own "Ronny's Corner" thread!

Ronny Guest

Quote Originally Posted by halfEIGHT
    Cool, great info Ronny, and, I've broken this off as your own "Ronny's Corner" thread!
    Sweet, thanks. . I will post as much as I have time too:-)

Ronny

.5x8 Guest

ooo pro! lol haha good info! ill take all that in mind! thank U!

...Ronny you mean that you are at 884 grams with batteries and body and everything? Ok thats what i thought you meant

rstnboy Guest

Ronny,

Thanks for posting your setup info and welcome to the forum. I am sure your experience and input here will greatly benefit all of us in getting the most out of our Hafl8. I especially like the explanation of the different standards used to measure shock oil weight. It would help a little to know the track conditions your setup is for (i.e. dusty, loose, blue groove, etc) or does it really matter with something this small?

JonteJsson Guest

Hi Ronny.
    I am JonteJsson from neo.
    Do you know any place in Europe to get BL motors cheap?

+ Reply to Thread