+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 1/8 Inferno ST

plain_simple Guest

I beleive you're absolutely right on the holding back issue. I also know ppl here that were Kppl and just bought the full package brand new because they couldnt convert their 777's.
    I guess it makes sense that Mugen wants the hype to their own brand before throwing something in the market that might take all that hype away. Maybe Bit can help us on that one... I can't wait to get one of those... i got the SP2 conversion kit already and it makes a world of difference from the Sp1 handling wise and i think it should be the same on the truck conversion.
    To be honest, i dont think that it will be available in Europe sooner then it will on the states so i guess we are both f***

P.S.: will you spec that truck with a .21 engine or are you thinking about some more muscle for that project?

Hawk Guest

We love the SP1 and have gotten really good results with it. I will be building a new 'A' car with all new in nov/dec time frame. With that I will put in the truggy conversion into a backup chassis (SP1) for the A truggy. The old SP1 will be the backup for the buggy and the truggy. We have had really good luck with lack of breakage as we got smarter so I have spare parts and a complete spare car (w/motor).
    We have already run a truggy built on the backup buggy chassis. The probs. w/gear ratio was obvious but not as bad as I expected. We finished well with a .21 and 48/13 gearing. The clutch took a beating but held up beautifully (RMV SpeedII by the way.) We used proline bowties on proline wheels that are for Ofna trucks. They have the standard 17mm setup and the correct offset for standard buggy arms. I use Futaba 9350 digital servos and they work well in this app. I put 30k/50k/10k fluid in the diffs and slightly stiffer shock fluid to compensate for the heavy tire/wheel setups. Driver had to back way down on the dual rate because the steering was too quick.
    With the longer wheel base, it should cut down on the wheelies that the gearing will help. Acceleration out of the corners with 13/62 gearing should be awesome. I think it is too high, maybe 14/62 is better, we will see. I don't know what to do about tire/wheel setups. T-maxx config. that comes with the conversion or use proline 17mm-23mm conversion adapters and use the Revo/40 series wheels/tires available. Not sure yet.

As for the engine, I was pleasantly surprised with a OS Vspec/SpeedII setup. Plenty of torque to wheely and top speed down the straight. I will stay with the OS .21 for now with the thought that if this winter shows it to be not enough motor that we could try a Collari 30/32(?) or the Nova .28. I know people that are having lots of problems with clutch life in the big motors. Helped a friend by introducing him to ceramic clutch bearings. He said that they lasted a whole race weekend instead of one or two races like he was used to. And they spin for days.

I will upgrade the A buggy to a new OS Vspec (maybe have it modded by Andy Brown) and use the Vspec in the current buggy with a new rod and bearings in the Truggy. As you can tell the Truggy is not the primary thrust of our racing program yet. I like it and it is a growing class.
    See ya on the track.

...im working on parts numbers and prices fellas...You find a link to the parts you want / need mail it to me first and see if i can beat it MAIL it to me...lets not air ALL our laundry on site

Hawk Guest

Don't worry Bit, when I start my re-building program you will have to rent a container to ship the parts. Too bad you don't have access to Harley Davidson parts. I got some building to do there too.
    Just chewing the fat about the sorry state of the sport and so on.
    Come November I will be building a Buggy and a Truggy. I want to see what this 1/8 ST looks like. I hope I can use that to build up instead of buying Mugen.
    So can you get OS engines too?

plain_simple Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk
    1- I put 30k/50k/10k fluid in the diffs
    2- Acceleration out of the corners with 13/62 gearing should be awesome. I think it is too high, maybe 14/62 is better, we will see.
    3- T-maxx config. that comes with the conversion or use proline 17mm-23mm conversion adapters and use the Revo/40 series wheels/tires available. Not sure yet.
    4- OS Vspec/SpeedII setup. Plenty of torque to wheely and top speed down the straight.
    5- I know people that are having lots of problems with clutch life in the big motors. Helped a friend by introducing him to ceramic clutch bearings.
    1 - i'm using 50k/70k/10k but that depends a lot on the circuits
    2 - I think you're probably right about the 14/62 setup as the best one, but again, it depends on the circuits.
    3 - T-maxx config. that comes with the conversion will give you less mass weight on the wheels to be pulled and as long it still gets power on the ground and the truggy reacts well on landings and steering should be the best option in my opinion.
    4 - I guess i will get new bearing and rod for my Picco Mod engine instead of buying a big block then and probably get a new O.S. or RB depending on the prices for the SP2
    5 - yeah, thats an issue for sure, special coz of the clutch bearings. By the way, could you also put a word for me on those ceramic clutch bearings?!

One thing is for sure, truggys will be a new scale not even related to 1/8 buggy's sooner or later. Here in Europe is growing big time too and in my country there's already people that will promote races next season. I think that truggys ended the "too heavy, too high and too slow" stigma the MT had till now.

plain_simple Guest

Is there any updates when that kit will be available? Bit? Anyone?

Hawk Guest

TTR Stadium Truck http://www.acehobby.com/ace/TTR6233.htm

Hong Nor X1CRT

There are subtle but important differences between the two approaches. I have also seen pics of the TTR ST 1, it follows the Inferno ST approach.
    There is the 1/8 Stadium Truck approach used by Inferno and TTR. Body is mounted low with low shock towers and shorter shocks. Most have longer arms on the suspension.
    The second approach is the Truggy or Buggy/Monster Truck. Mugens two kits, the HN X1CRT and the GS SUT is standard shocks/towers, body sits higher and often has the buggy wing.
    I think the ST approach will be a better truck on the track. Kyosho arms are their plastic arms. They have done them before and just resurected them. The body isn't as low as the TTR ST but it can be made that way. Lower the ride height a little and it is going to be very fast in the transitions. Use the spring in the tires along with the grip of these big tires and harden the springs/shocks. You don't need as much travel in the shocks now and the center of gravity gets lower.
    I know the Kawahara kits are solid and I may get one anyway. I have a chassis to put it on. I want to thrash an Inferno ST because I want to see what they did with gearing and other things. Details, details, the devil is in the details.
    The gearing on a truggy to get the rpm where it should be with the effective gear change made be the larger diameter tires is a problem. The kawahara conversion uses a large diameter center gear. This increases the rotating mass which affects the power required to accel +/- the drive train. I was looking at changing gearing through f/r diff gearing changes which would keep the center diff gear the current size and keeping rotating mass to a minimum. Kyosho has worked on this as well as mass placement around the center of gravity and roll center.
    So, maybe, maybe not. I have already seen the Kyosho idea of a race version of the Inferno ST with a Sirio motor(not my choice). I know the parts are out there, it is just a matter to see what the setup is and finding the parts to fit. This is one are where Kyosho (and Tamiya) have a huge advantage. They have made many configurations based around a platform in one scale. They have hundreds of shocks either in production or on the shelf.
    Last edited by Hawk; 09-28-2005 at 04:53 PM.

46u Guest

I am waiting on the Hellfire to hit the streets. I think this is going to be a killer truck! I see some mentioned Harley Davidson. I have been riding and making my living working on them none stop for over 35 years. Matter of fact I did a short 10,000-mile trip this last July from Georgia to Alaska and back. I sell a lot of old HD parts on ebay.

plain_simple Guest

Yeah i saw that Ofna truck too... sounds like a good bet.. i like it

...the HellFire would be my choice if my life involved Nitro...

...The Kawahara conversions i can now get...370 USD shipped for the MP777 version and 350 shipped for the Mugen one

+ Reply to Thread