+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Atomic Alum Ball Diffs

mdntblu Guest

Default Atomic Alum Ball Diffs

I have a Mamba 8000kv in my Half 8 and I keep stripping the diffs out. I glued the center diff so i would have better traction but now the rear diff stripped. Do you know if the Atomic Alum ball diffs are good or are there metal diffs to use for the Half 8?

I'm not even quite sure if I understand how those ones work. They look different then a standard diff.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Brad

...mdtnblu...welcome to the boards...There are no metal gears yet but GPM has them on the drawing boards...Right now many of us are wating for Ascubie; our resident guinea-pig, to get his ATOMIC diffs and do them damage and then report back...3RACING was the first to POST diffs but ATOMIC was first to market...

...ona sidenote the GPM gear boxes, ALL of them...are seemingly pigs to put together because of the abscence of their hadware...A slight oversight by the boys @ GPM...

...The front and rear ATOMIC diffs look good ( apart from they are blue ) but you are right about the center looking 'strange'...Ascubie will reveal all in his 24-episode report

acsubie Guest

just got them today BIT..finally got rid of the strange slipping from the center diff(not the slipper)..finally got some adjustablity...BUT there are a few things i dont like, but i'll lay down the GOOD first

GOOD
    1. Atomic actually made a real ball diff similiar to the bigger more expensive ones..i know all ball diffs have thrust balls behind the adjustment screw, not only does Atomic have those but also there is a bearing INSIDE the diff to help with more adjustablitly-big plus
    2. no more unwanted slipping from the center, lil premature to totally approve of them but at least my H8 is more driveable now..time will tell how these suckers hold up though
    3. front and rear diff adjustability is pretty good but a lil tricky to master since you gotta account for the center diff also
    BAD
    1. the diff bearings(stock ones that sit behind the outdrive cups) actually fit a lil loose on the outdrive plate, producing a lil wiggle effect once in the diff housing, they dont fit as snug as i'd like them BUT im sure i can just wrap something around the outdrive plate to let the bearing fit more "snug"
    2. the actual ball diff gear wiggles in place, even with the adjustment totally tight the gear has some side to side play, nothing a few shims cant fix, i suspect the diffs balls are a lil to small
    3. the center ball diff- the diffs gear mesh with the slipper gear is a lil tight, ive tried not tightning the center housing to much and the mesh gets better BUT still tight

well there you go BIT..next time you are the guineau

but overall im happy, just wish they were a lil cheaper

stay tuned for more reporting after 8 cells and the LIPO pack
    Last edited by acsubie; 09-02-2005 at 04:30 AM.

...sounds good buddy...thanks for the quick version...fill us in again when you have a few more packs under your belt...I might just grab a set though....finger is hovering over that BUY NOW button

acsubie Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BitHed
    ...sounds good buddy...thanks for the quick version...fill us in again when you have a few more packs under your belt...I might just grab a set though....finger is hovering over that BUY NOW button

DO IT!!! ...once the ST sealed diffs are released ill be sure to check thos bad boys out also, might actually be easier to adjust them by diff oil weights then using ball diffs

R32dude Guest

Ascubie- you just answered my question and made me totally stoked all in one!!! Ever since the Half-8 came out I wanted sealed gear diifs to tune with oil like a real 8th scale! I've been waiting forever for 3Racing to release there ball diffs but now I may just go with the sealed diffs. Actually that depends on the report card for the 3Racing ones, if they ever come out, AND whether or not they ST ones fit in the buggy-also I would have to have metal gears. Ahhhh, I guess patience is a virtue!!!!

...R32 you and I are in the same boat (buggy? ) Go the ball diffs or wait for the ST's or do both or whatever?! lol...its confusing...I will wait for a little more Ascub-ism...60 bucks for 3 diffs is what made PanicToys broke in the first place...For my own selfish reasons it makes much more sense (cents?) to take that 60 USD and recycle it back into ST parts for my conversion kits..Here I am spouting business practices again which is TOTALLY off-topic but i guess what i mean is we all have different things we regard as important in our hobbies...but DAMN i want those diffs

quietfly Guest

ACsubie, do you have pictures of your setup? also are you running all three diffs or just the upgraded center.

Inferno454 Guest

How much do theses help handling Acsubie?

...Ascubie..just had a thought...might not that tight slipper connection be freed up with a dedicated ATOMIC driveline? ie...spend even MORE money and grab the ATOMIC gear box MUWAHAHAA...

+ Reply to Thread