+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Stock tires on 1/10th wheels

signats Guest

Default Stock tires on 1/10th wheels

After breaking 2 wheels on the very first lap at a very rough, dust covered, cement hard clay track that has not seen any maintenance for the last year or so (since the club that ran it dissolved), it was time to attempt to mount the stock tires to a set of TC wheels that were collecting dust in my spare parts bin.

They ended up being about 3mm taller, and 3 grams heavier than stock, but the tread remains the same width at 24 mm.

I have used these same type of wheels with the HPI Rally tires at the same track without any breakage so I know they can handle the abuse.

I can't wait to test them out!

The white rims are stock next to my franken-tires:
    Attached Images      
    Last edited by signats; 07-23-2005 at 03:56 PM.

bluegrooveracer Guest

did you use acetone to remove the tires and if so did the acetone ruin the tires at all as this has happened with losi mini t tires???

signats Guest

I didn't have the balls to try acetone on these tires, instead I pinched the tire with finger and thumb, and firmly pulled it back away from the bead, and then very carefully used an x-acto knife to pick and cut the rubber free from the wheel. It took about 3-5 min. per tire to get the rubber off the wheel.

They came off really clean and the bead was still in good shape, but as it turned out, in order to get them to fit the TC wheels nice, and smooth, and clean the bead had to be trimmed completely off of the tire with some sharp scissors.

After that I double foamed them (the stock foam + a HPI low bounce foam) and glued them.

The scrap rubber trimmings were put in a jar with some acetone and let it sit for a few days now. It didn't dissolve the rubber or anything, but I don't really want to open the jar just yet either, simply because I'm avoiding that nasty acetone stuff and as it turned out the pinch, pull, and cut method was much faster than soaking them off ever could be.

bluegrooveracer Guest

thanks for the input ,so just to confirm the actone didn't visibly weaken or distort or break down the rubber?? as i want to order a new set of tires and remove them thanks [just wanted to be sure]

.5x8 Guest

as he said...he didnt use acetone

signats Guest

Ok I just took the rubber scraps out of the acetone and they are mush, just like the Losi mini tires, acetone will ruin them. Sorry dude

bluegrooveracer Guest

actually 5x8 he said he did use acetone, and thanks for the heads up signats

.5x8 Guest

I didn't have the balls to try acetone on these tires
    ...see he didnt use acetone... read the second post...

bluegrooveracer Guest

no if you reread it you will see he test some scraps in acetone so yes he did and that is why i asked about the result of the acetone that he did use as stated in his 2nd post

...i love it when someone has the balls to try something new...thats how the BitHex's were 'invented'...Great post Signats..Thanks for the follow-up of trying the SCRAPS in the ACETONE too Good call...

+ Reply to Thread