+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: So hows your 09?

Tinytacohead Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Parts should be here Friday. When new, the buggy acted great. Little tough on idle, but stayed relatively still. When my clutch problems started was after 30+ tanks. My motor is fully broken in and screams, sucker will practically wheelie. Really squats under full throttle. Hopefully the new clutch bell with new inner bearing will do the trick. Do you have problems with your cheap brake disk. Have gone thru 3 of them. They strip out and start to free wheel. Anyways, will be about a week before I get a chance to fully fix and test. Have 5 inches of snow on the ground in Illinois. Will have to test in the driveway or lose it in the drifts.
    Later.
    I started having the idle problem towards the end of my first quart. (not sure how many tanks that is?) No brake disk problems yet, though it's annoying they gave us two & you can't really adjust front/rear independantly, since there's no center diff.. I need to drain & clean my tank, as I got lazy and left fuel in it the last time I ran, quite awhile ago. I was pissed because it kept dropping a rear driveshaft for whatever reason. (which I think is still out at the moment) Something I find annoying about mini's is how much more pronounced slop is. It seems harder to keep wheels etc. slop-free, due to how much a small amount equals on such a small RC.
    Last edited by Tinytacohead; 12-11-2008 at 08:35 PM.

Jerry Guest

Default Almost have had enough

When I start the buggy it idles for about 5 seconds then sounds like a box of rocks then the clutch shoes expand and grab and won't let go.

Replaced the clutch bell, bearing, shoes. Same problem. The motor seems really sound. Will rip full speed, just won't let me brake without stalling because of the clutch.

Have taken apart the Mini 4 times in 4 days. Can't overcome the clutch problem. If I could figure out why the clutch shoes are expanding then locking inside the clutch bell.

Will try and replacing center diff bearings, front and rear drive shafts, shimming the clutch bell to help keep it from wavering, if all of that fails it becomes a shelf queen or if I get soft, a donation to someone who want's it so I don't keep messing with it.

Tinytacohead Guest

That's crazy! Yeah, my problem's not that bad, it's just like it won't idle quite low enough to keep from dragging the shoes a tad, or maybe the shoe springs are wearing out or something. (thought shouldn't be, I've not run it near enough for that) Good luck man! Also, if ya get mad and wanna donate it to anybody, my arms are open.

Jerry Guest

Well TinyTacoHead:
    You will be the 1st in line for the donation. Putting it together (again) soon. It's a Nitro. I'm at my wits end. Just can't look at it because I will want to order more parts and putts with it and get mad. If it doesn't work, I will be in touch.

BTW, where are you located? Hopefully in the US. I'm not going to ship outside the continental US.

Tinytacohead Guest

Well TinyTacoHead:
    You will be the 1st in line for the donation. Putting it together (again) soon. It's a Nitro. I'm at my wits end. Just can't look at it because I will want to order more parts and putts with it and get mad. If it doesn't work, I will be in touch.

BTW, where are you located? Hopefully in the US. I'm not going to ship outside the continental US.
    Haha, I know the feeling. (ORDER MORE PARTS!!) Good luck! though just in case, yep, I'm in the US. I'll wish ya the best & not say just where yet though.

noR Guest

Hope you figure out that clutch problem.

My 09 ST dropped the lower kingpin on the front. Then my friends did. We cannibalized and went through another kingpin.

Not sure if I'm over tightening or what, but I keep losing that bottom screw holding the steering hub.

Any of you run into that? If it continues, I'll be getting some aluminum steering hubs and loctite.

Tinytacohead Guest

Quote Originally Posted by noR View Post
    Hope you figure out that clutch problem.

My 09 ST dropped the lower kingpin on the front. Then my friends did. We cannibalized and went through another kingpin.

Not sure if I'm over tightening or what, but I keep losing that bottom screw holding the steering hub.

Any of you run into that? If it continues, I'll be getting some aluminum steering hubs and loctite.
    I've not lost any with the stock plastic jobbers, but did all the time with aluminum. I loctited them, but it just didn't seem to do the trick for whatever reason. I eventually went back to plastic. (the aluminum was heavy & sloppy anyways. 3R brand, which are supposed to be top-notch) If I remember right, one of the tricks to retain those is to simply put some tape over them, though I might be remembering wrong. Search it, I bet you can find some posts somewhere, and good luck!

Jerry Guest

Default This is the last try

Hello again all:
    Well, put new bearings in the center diff. New clutch shoes with the new clutch bell and bearings. Shimmed the front of the bell between the C-clip and the clutch bell to help stop the slop. Put together tonight and will hopefully running it tomorrow, barring snow.

TinyTacoHead--heads up. If it doesn't work, we will be in touch. I like the buggy, but if this doesn't work with the fixes, it is out the door and arriving at yours. Just can't stand looking at it, always thinking of ways of fixing the dreaded clutch problem.

The last solution is what I don't want to do. Replace the motor. The crank and bearing may be the problem? Can't see any reason why? Motor starts nicely and can really rip.

That's enough venting--until tomorrow

Tinytacohead Guest

Hello again all:
    Well, put new bearings in the center diff...
    Good luck man! I can't say I don't want it, but really hope ya get'r fixed too - I feel your pain.

Jerry Guest

Default F'n Sucks

Bad news:
    Problem still exists. Better than before, but still idles and seems fine then grabs and sounds like a box of rocks, then lets go and idles and back and forth. Runs like a raped ape, but you can't brake while running because of the possibility of the shoes locking on the clutch bell.

Will be putting out the question on RCTech.net for answers. Hope to get help (or) out the door it goes to TinyTacohead who will give it a good home.

Excedrines here I come!

+ Reply to Thread