+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Futaba S9650

ccs77 Guest

Default Futaba S9650

I just bought a pair of these Half 8's for my 5yr old son...I upgraded one to the X-speed motor, the 8 cell pack, the regulator and the oil filled shocks. He's having a ball with it, but has already blown one of the stock servos. Right now I have him up and running witht he servo out of the old one, but I also bought a nice digi Futaba S9650. My problem is the thing only has 3 wires on the plug instead of 4 like the stock one and I can't get it to work with the stock equipment. Is there a way to make it work with the stock electronics or do I have to by a reciever and ESC?

If I have to get a receiver and ESC which ones would you recomend? Do I really want to go brushless with this thing? I'm trying to keep it so I don't wind up going through the whole drive train to beef it up...honestly for my 5 year old it's plenty fast now.

arsehoyle2.0 Guest

That's a nice servo alright, but its a bit of overkill for a relatively stock mini inferno. I use a 9650 to control the tail of my heli and it's awesome. As far as a replacement for the stock servo goes, it uses the same servo as the losi mini T. You can find them on ebay-

http://cgi.ebay.com/Losi-Steering-Se...3286.m20.l1116

but I'm afraid its like throwing good money after bad. These servos are just prone to failure.

In order to use the 9650 you'll probably have to cut some of the mounting tabs off of it and you'll definitely have to use one of the extra servo mounts included with your mini. And yes, you will have to buy another receiver and esc. You could just buy another receiver (the stock one is a 27 mhz unit if I remember correctly) and matched crystals and use the new receiver to run steering and the old one for throttle, but that's a whole other can of worms....mounting space, power consumption, weight ,etc.. Plus the fact that the other kids would just give you all kinds of grief over having 2 antennas sticking out of the car. You could say one's for CB!

If it were me and my 5 year old, I'd probably buy a receiver for an associated rc18 (TR203A) commonly available on ebay as well. For a speed control, a lrp (IPC V3.1) is one of the few that I can think of that will handle 8 cells out of the box. Most other escs will handle up to 7 cells but the mini inferno with a stock motor needs all the power it can get.

Speaking of cans of worms, brushless is another one. I have been running rc cars and trucks for more than 20 years and my brushless mini inferno is still a handful for me at high speeds. Its got so much torque I can flip it on its lid at any speed. You've probably seen the video of the formula 1 cars where the front end just starts to float off the ground and then...flip! I think for a 5 year old, the learning curve may be a bit steep. And upgrades become an absolute necessity with brushless.

At some point you have to stop and decide whether you want to put a bunch of money into the MI or just sell off what's left of it and buy a vendetta. Don't get me wrong, once the MI is properly equipped its an awesome lil mini, it'll out handle/out jump all the rest but of course I probably have $500 or more, beyond the original purchase price, into mine. The vendetta also can stand a bit of upgrading, but out of the box it's a bit more compatible with after market items and being a 1/18 scale as opposed to 1/16, there are more options available.

Hope this answers at least some of your questions.
    Good luck.

+ Reply to Thread