+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New to real R/C cars

nitro-addict Guest

Default New to real R/C cars

Hello;

I am about to be thrust (by choice) into the RC car hobby. My order for 6 (six!) Mini Inferno ST09s is waiting at my LHS. My buddy's wife and I are planning a surprise birthday party.

I've been flying nitro planes for several years now but this will be my first real (non Radio Shack grade) RC car.

Beyond an introduction I'm also posting looking for suggestions to help the party go smoothly. There will be between four to six of us breaking in, tuning, racing, goofing around, etc. Any must have or highly recommended tips, tools, equipment, spare parts?

It's gonna be fun. If I survive the wait!

I loves the smell of nitro in the mornin'

nitro-addict Guest

Talking They're here! They're here!

I picked up my order yesterday. I had forgotten how fun looking these little guys were. I'm finding myself increasingly preoccupied with the details of the day. I hope I'm not biting off more than I can chew.

My plan is to appear early in the morning with the surprise in my trunk - 6 new KMI ST 09s along with everything else to make them run. We'll read instructions and discuss breakin plans over waffles; right now I'm leaning toward heat cycling even though that's not quite what the instructions describe. Then breakin in pairs (help out someone else while yours is cooling off). Once they're all broken in and tuned we'll build some tracks, race, and challenge jumps 'till dark. I may draw up a leader board.

So my questions:
    How long can I expect breakin to take?
    What are the favorite breakin routines for the 09 and why?
    Any good ad hoc track delineator suggestions?
    Attached Images  

ccs77 Guest

I bet you guys have allot of fun...Be prepaired to rob parts off one of the cars to keep the other 5 going.

Before you know it you'll have a garage full of 1/8 scale vehicles.

nitro-addict Guest

Default Achilles' heel?

My aim is to set it up so it's difficult not to have fun. I think I'm working with the right ingredients.

Four of the six units have names on them. The other two have three "maybes" between them so we'll probably have one and perhaps two parts cars available for pilfering.

Is your prediction based on a particular weakness of the KMI or more about the way things go with so many cars on the ground? Either way it might not be too late to get some extra parts in. Any suggestions?

ccs77 Guest

The minis are just a little fragile...with a parts car or two you'll be fine.

+ Reply to Thread