+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Half 9 - Diffs

Hybrid View

Hugolech Guest

Default Half 9 - Diffs

Just saw this on the kyosho web

http://www.kyosho.co.jp/web/products...9_ready-e.html

I wonder if this could fit in the Half 8. No more problems with diffs.

H8er Guest

Actually, it's still the Half 8 . And no, the Nitro has a different tranny. It wouldn't work.

bluegrooveracer Guest

are you sure those diffs won't work ? have you seen a compatibility chart?

FHM101 Guest

Based on gear ratios, I'd say the nitro diffs might be a problem. I have no doubt they might fit in the bulks, but the electric ratio is 11 something to 1, the ST is 12 something to 1, and the nitro is 8 something to 1. By the time you geared down low enough to get the thing moving, if you could do it in the first place, you are going to be getting your motor (especially brushless) awful hot. I'd say it's really going to depend on what's in the center of the nitro, and if it can be made to fit the electric.

I guess beefier diffs would be nice, but I don't have any problems with the stock buggy or truck diffs in my race cars, so it's really not a big deal for me one way or the other.

mece Guest

Umm, I'm not really following here. does the ST and the buggy have different gear ratios in the diffs?? I doubt that since the st diffs are a straight drop-in to the buggy. the different gear ratio must come from spur/pinion so the diffs would have nothing to do with it. The only part that is really a question is the center diff. I believe that it will require a lot of modding to fit the electric versions. Either way the new diffs look strong and nice, and I really hope they are a straight drop-in (which I believe). If they are, I'm getting some!

FHM101 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mece
    Umm, I'm not really following here. does the ST and the buggy have different gear ratios in the diffs?? I doubt that since the st diffs are a straight drop-in to the buggy. the different gear ratio must come from spur/pinion so the diffs would have nothing to do with it. The only part that is really a question is the center diff. I believe that it will require a lot of modding to fit the electric versions. Either way the new diffs look strong and nice, and I really hope they are a straight drop-in (which I believe). If they are, I'm getting some!
    Sorry, I was wrong about the differences in gear ratio. All 3 are different, but my numbers were not correct.

I just got his off the Kyosho America web site.

Gear ratios: MI 10.8:1, MIST 12.6:1, 09 8.3:1

Given that the MI and MIST both share the same slipper, center diff, and pinion gears, the difference has to be in the diffs.

I put ST diffs in my MI last week and without changing anything else, my little buggy has tons more acceleration with the ST diffs than it did with the MI diffs. I'm sure the truck diffs are geared differently to overcome the difference in tire diameter (MI=64mm, MIST=74mm) and weight while the 09 is geared to work with either a different center diff output ratio, or uses the same center ratio and relies on the considerable low end torque difference found between a nitro engine and an electric motor. With a ratio difference of only 1.8:1 between the MI and MIST diffs, my MI accelerates like it's been fired from a slingshot where it used to have a very manageable hole shot with the MI diffs. When you consider that the MI and 09 diffs have a difference of 2.5:1 and the MIST and 09 differ by 4.3:1, the electric cars with 09 diffs are either going to cog like mad, poke off the line, or fry the ESC unless the pinion tooth count is drastically reduced, or the 09 has a higher ratio center diff which can be used in the electrics.

+ Reply to Thread