+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Any wild projects?

erik_dedobbeleer Guest

Default Any wild projects?

Hi Folks,
    I was just wondering if there're some scratchbuilders among you.
    Most of the things I see in the galleries is alloy and graphite aftermarket stuff.

check my gallery for something a little different...
    http://halfeight.com/gallery/showgal...500&ppuser=727

Drop me a message if you have some cool conversion or wild project also.

Greetings, Erik
    Attached Images  

Nemesis Guest

Hi, this is my first post in this forum .
    I did some work on my MI ST today. I created a center brace protype. It took my about 20minutes to design and manufacter the piece(it is just a prototype so measurments are`nt very exact). It`s made out of glassfiber plate used for creating PCB`s. The chassis is stiff like hell now.
    Hope you like it

Ps: i will be creating battery brace and maybe eaven shocktowers out of the same material because it`s really good to work with. Fullsize servo is coming too(with custom mounts).
    Last edited by Nemesis; 09-03-2006 at 05:55 PM.

Takumi861 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by erik_dedobbeleer
    Hi Folks,
    I was just wondering if there're some scratchbuilders among you.
    hi,
    i see you have a kool conversion, i like it. i was planning on installing a 540 brushless motor into my mini inferno but i couldn't really figure out how to make a new motor mount, well i havent really had much time to top it off so i decided to go with a burshless system made for a mini. since i couldn't come up idea on making a motor mount, could u show me a picture of your motor mount to give me an idea. i haven't bought the brushless system yet so i still have time to make changes for a 540 brushless motor. O *#$^!, i got to go, i'll ask the rest of my stuff later

erik_dedobbeleer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Takumi861
    hi,
    i see you have a kool conversion, i like it. i was planning on installing a 540 brushless motor into my mini inferno but i couldn't really figure out how to make a new motor mount, well i havent really had much time to top it off so i decided to go with a burshless system made for a mini. since i couldn't come up idea on making a motor mount, could u show me a picture of your motor mount to give me an idea. i haven't bought the brushless system yet so i still have time to make changes for a 540 brushless motor. O *#$^!, i got to go, i'll ask the rest of my stuff later
    Hi takumi, I got to get to the airport, so real quick: I use a direct drive transmission, similar to what you'll find on an associate RC12L. I'll put a pic next weekend, gotta run...

Takumi861 Guest

ok, i'll wait till you post up your pics. all i really want to know is how you got your center diff set up, the rest i can figure out. o yea, one more thing, i'm not to familiar with electric RC's, i've been messin around with the nitro HPI RS4 RTR 3 mostly. i was able to fit a Hyper .21 8 ports motor in it and bob o boy, that motor smoked out all my bearings, axles and the melted out my tranny, i had a two speed hop up. it'll cost too much to rebuild so i just left it alone and i bought a MI. i bought the holeshot chassis upgrade, front and rear diffs, front and rear carbon shock towers, and an aluminum hop up so far. i still got more hop ups to buy but school is gonna start tommorrow so i'm gonna have to put the MI on hold for a little.i'll post a pic of my MI tommorrow, i can't find my digital cam at the moment.

Nemesis that looks great...This sounds l;ike a good thread...I know whatr you mean about all the over the counter stuff...Gets a bit repetetive...

...Erik I am loving what you have done with your car too...Cant wait till we get some decent eye candy going too

erik_dedobbeleer Guest

Hey Takumi,
    I'm in Korea now on busines trip, but you can peek at my earlier version which had 4WD and a standard chassis still.
    There's one picture there with and opener view on the center gear at: http://www.one18th.com/GetGallery10821.htm.
    (Check my user gallery for some more eye candy as bethit calls it)

No center diff: a simple spur does the job for me, but you could use a 1:10 diff no prob. (I decided to go rear wheel drive only for the 1:18th conversion, so the diff was pointless)
    I'll try to get your pics online next weekend
    Erik

erik_dedobbeleer Guest

Hey Nemesis,
    Nicely designed, it usually takes me a lot longer to get such nice results!
    And you just re-invented an old-time trick ;-)

Back in the days people were making their custom stuff out of glass fiber reinforced epoxy all the time.
    Carbon was difficult to get and very expensive then. Some companies even provided black tinted epoxy to get a carbon look.
    Much cheaper, just a little more flexible, far less destructive for your tools and none conducting: it's a very good alternative to carbon.

You'd better etch away the copper though: dangerous for shorts and it gets ugly very quickly.

(The base of my conversion is an old chassis of the first losi car: it uses a sandwich of epoxy between 2 layers of carbon.)

Erik.

erik_dedobbeleer Guest

Hi Bithed,
    thanks for the compliment, coming from a guy behind the pittbull chassis I feel real honoured.

I saw some real nice outdrives in your gallery. Are these something you bought?
    My outdrives: both the plastic gear/axle and caps are my main worry to keep this thing running...

For eye candy, check out my gallery at http://www.one18th.com/10616Gallery.htm
    and http://ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/RCi...os/browse/ff9d
    (just a little bit of MI, so I didn't think it was suitable for this site)
    Erik

Nemesis Guest

Quote Originally Posted by erik_dedobbeleer
    My outdrives: both the plastic gear/axle and caps are my main worry to keep this thing running...
    I have the same problem with standard motor running on 3S LiIon
    I just ordered a set of kyosho`s own version of aluminum outdrives from my local dealer. I hope that this solves the problem for me.

About glassfiber: I`m thinking of doing an experiment to see how does this copper would work as an antenna. I already know that i`m going to lose some range but i wanna see how much. It would give a model way cleaner look.
    I`m hoping to make a complete chassis brace this weekend or eaven sooner without design flaws(the current one has few of them) and a battery brace(5min job).

+ Reply to Thread