+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: pinions?

adrenalinrush123998 Guest

Default pinions?

my mini-inferno is just a bit slow for my liking...top speed is just a little under what id like for me...i have a 6-cell pack (err...the equivelent) and i just dont need this torque that the stock pinion privdes...

does anyone know if i could a trinity alloy pinion? iot has a lock nut and everything

WhoMe Guest

The half eight requires a special pinion. The shaft size is larger than your standard micro pinion and larger than a 540 pinion. Also the teeth are a metric 48 pitch gear. Unlike more of the standard ones we use..

acsubie Guest

i ordered myself a sleeve adaptor for the 540 pinions and also got a bunch of the robinson 48p metric pinions at 2.50 a pop

mOOsE Guest

I thought the Half8 used 48 metric too but When I finally got my car, its regular 48 pitch. Metric has a much bigger tooth than the standard so maybe mine is just different.

xrayracer Guest

where did ya get the sleeve at

adrenalinrush123998 Guest

so do i need a special half eight pinion?
    or can i go to my LHS and pick up a pinion that will fit?

mOOsE Guest

the fitment problem has to do with the ID of the pinion. The half8 uses the same pitch gear that is in the mini-t and rc18t. You can either buy one of these and drill it out...make sure its straight, or buy a standard 1/10 48 pitch pinion and "sleeve" it with brass, coper, or alum tubing. I have not yet done this but MOst hobby shops have an open selection of these materials that you can "test" fit to your motor and pinion combination. I personally think the stock gearing is great for off-road...once you change the motor.

WhoMe Guest

United RC and Grafix say its metric?? Whats the real deal here?

tunnelhead Guest

Default Pinion adapter

Here is a few pics of a pinion adapter a guy makes for us local racers. It adapts the full size pinions to the smaller scale cars. ie 18t. Company name it Seim Competition Products, you can contact him at scpengineering@juno.com
    I have seen his 18t car stuff he made. Very nice. Fit and finish is awsome. Puts the factory 18t stuff to shame.
    Attached Images    
    Last edited by tunnelhead; 04-19-2005 at 07:16 AM. Reason: spelling

tunnelhead Guest

you just line to pinion set screw up with the notch cut ou tin the adapter and then you tighten it, and off you go. sorry about the pic quality.

+ Reply to Thread