+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: It's been a long, long time.

pimpsmurf Guest

Default It's been a long, long time.

I havn't had the time to mess with my H8 in so long I forgot I had the Futaba Digital servo sitting around waiting to be installed.

So today my girlfriend, I mean fiancee, damn. I mean my wife is off doing wifely things and I had a couple hours to play with. I tried to file a better flat spot onto my Aon shaft (Please god tell me they made a replacement arm w/ the flat spot. It would be worth buying a new motor if they have!) I left the poly's 1/2 charged (2100mah 3cell) so it had enough juice for some running.

I installed the pinion and had a blast. I forgot just how impressive this thing is on loose dirt.

I got the motor up to 160F, ESC to 125F, and the batteries a little warm (maybe 90F) in 90-95F air temp. About 15 minutes of runtime before the damned set screw came loose on the shaft again! I'm pretty sure that's what happened unless I messed up the mesh (did it with the dust cover on, so possibly I just ate the slipper). It sounded more like metal on metal than a slipper dead. I've been using the pinions with the tiny setscrews that use a special (.9mm?) wrench that you can't find anywhere. I wish oh I wish I could get the pinion to stay. Perhaps I need stronger loctite since I doubt I will change the pinion.

Anyway, I just wanted to drop a note that I'm enjoying my H8 and alive and what have you. I'm glad to see there are some new goodies out. I can't wait for some MIP BB Diffs and CVDs. That should definately step it up a notch. And now that I'm running 2.4ghz, I need to put in those 2 metal slipper gears.

There I go on yet another wild tangent...
    -JNY

mat3833 Guest

hey pimpy!! lol id look into the rc18t pinions. they use a bigger setscrew and i havent had any problems. congrats on getting hitched. glad to have you back

Matt

pimpsmurf Guest

I think I have a bunch of them. I'm fairly sure I have the MRS4 pinions from HPI on it right now. I have so many pinions that I've tried I can't remember which is which. I'm using greyish color pinions (close to the same color as the AD2 hard anodized parts for the XXX-NT.) I also have the black pinions and some other pinions. Not at the house so I can't look.

Man I really need to convince the wifey to let me blow some money on some BB Diffs.

-JNY

mat3833 Guest

lol id use the 3r balldiff for the center and use the ST diffs for the front and rear. just tell her its a good investment and ittl raise the re-sell value. lol

Matt

pimpsmurf Guest

I am pretty sure all the noise I am getting is from the center stock diff. I don't really know about the 3Racing center diff. I'll check it out. I really like the ST diffs, but when I rebuild it in a week or two, I'm going to use grease instead of silicon oil. I need to read up on the weights I should use. I'll probably just go with slightly higher than what kyosho recommends. Although great on the 1:8 track, I tend to push more than desired in loose soil at the house.

BTW, I'm building a mini track right now. Pretty simple. 1 double and 1 table top. About a 35' straight and 5 medium to sharp turns and 1 wide turn. Will be perfect for my putzing around.

-JNY

RURC Guest

Pimpysmurf good to hear from you. Like you I have been so busy with everything else in my life that I have not had the time to keep up with anything. The little league baseball team I coach has just qualified to go and play in the little league world series and I have been dedicating all my time to them and my job. Now I have to raise funds to get these kids to Tenn for the tournament. This is way harder that a real job. (BTW if you or any body else can help goto our web site and join our support crew and every $2.00 donation gets a chance in our raffle there are some cool things to win and more being added every few days www.shetlandnationalallstars.com Thanks)
    Back to the real problem here..... I have been useing blue locktight on the shaft of my non ground motors for years. I have never lost or had one come loose. Do not use red or 612 (? green lable) these are permant (big time with the 612). The blue comes off with the simple use of a pinion puller. Also put it on your set screw this will stop it from comming loose and getting lost. Also I am going to get photos up of mine soon. I have reworked the top side and have my servo mounted vertically. This has had a huge effect on the steering. I am now useing a standard Airtronics micro servo and it is smoother faster and cleaner than the Multiplex digital one it replaced. I have put the Multiplex back in my F18 jet for the thrust nozzel vectoring system. I am going to finish my 2 speed transmission when the series is over.

AkRacingProducts Guest

RURC, you have pics of exactly how you mounted that steering servo?

RURC Guest

Not yet but I hope to get to it soon. I will positively put them up here as soon as I get it done. It is really quite simple once you figure out the small stuff.

R32dude Guest

Pimpsmurf-you dont happen to live anywhere in the Cali bay area do ya?-we sure are short on places to run these minis around here!

habitforming Guest

RURC: Did I hear you say 2 speed? As in Mini Inferno 2 speed??

+ Reply to Thread