+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: ***Quark 33A Pro-Car ESC Review***

AkRacingProducts Guest

Default ***Quark 33A Pro-Car ESC Review***

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

Before I start this review, I would like to thank Troy over at www.b-p-p.com. He has replied to dozens of my e-mails gladly and I've talked to him over the phone. He is happy to answer my questions and always has a positive, and super nice attitude. He even soldered my gold/deans plugs on the esc for free without me asking. Now that's customer service.

Alright, time for the review. After installed the esc on my KMI, I went ahead and read the manual. Adjusting settings is super easy.

Basically, there are 3 different modes you can go into. One is the adjust the amount of throttle you want along with where you want neutral to be on your transmitter. The other one is basic adjustments which include amount of drag brake, battery type, braking power, cut-off voltage, a variety of reverse settings, and more. The third mod is the advanced adjustments. This is where the Quark 33A gets impressive. It has settings such as turning off/on drag brake, "race" or normal mode, many different torque settings, noise removal(interference,) the amount of time you want to wait before going into reverse, and much much more.

Adjusting the settings is very simple. I used to have a Mamba and without the USB Link that is a PAIN in the you know what to program. With the Quark, you choose one of the three modes. Then by pulling the trigger different combinations of LED's show on the ESC. For example, if you want hard braking power, then you pull the trigger until green/red shows(not correct). If you want normal braking power, pull the trigger until only red shows(not true). Once you have your setting, you simply push the set-up button and it automatically moves onto the next setting. I programed my ESC to my specifications in under 10 minutes.

Now to the actual testing. I am using this ESC with a Wraith 7k motor in my KMI. The first thing I immediately noticed as soon as I went on my driveway was how smooth the throttle was. Even though it had tons of power, it felt very controllable. It even felt smoother than some brushed setups I have previously had. This gives the ability to have lots and lots of power but to use the power efficiently. What's good about being fast if your not in control?

This smoothness can be seen especially in the corners. With other brushless systems I have tried, *cough*mamba*cough* , you had to be extremly gentle with the throttle in the turns because it will immediately break the tires traction. With the Quark, I can give a considerable amount of throttle smoothly in the turn and the tires just grip and pull the car out of the turn. Racing and bashers alike will love this.

In conclusion, IMO the Quark ESC is one of the most advanced and easy to use LED ESC's out there. If you look away from the Quark because of no USB link, don't even think about that. The design they use is very simple and easy to use. It ran around 130-135 degrees which is great considering I was running a 3-cell Lipo. What's amazing is the Quark can handle a 4-cell lipo too, and the most advanced brushless motors out there. I think the Quark will save you money in the long run because as technology keeps improving, the Quark 33A will be able to keep up with technology.

-Armand

AkRacingProducts Guest

Here are some pics!

AkRacingProducts Guest

AkRacingProducts Guest

gorbasho Guest

so would you recommend this over a mamba with a usb link? I am debating over these two.

AkRacingProducts Guest

Definitely....

habitforming Guest

What do you mean when you say "not correct" and "not true" in regards to the LEDs when programming brake?

I just got my Quark in the mail yesterday, still looking for time to install it. Now I really can't wait!.

On a side note, where did the upper CF brace come from?

AkRacingProducts Guest

When I say not true I mean that those are not the correct LED combinations for that setting.

All the braces you see are custom.

Migs Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AkRacingProducts
    All the braces you see are custom.
    Do you happen to have any extra top plates in CF that you would consider selling...? I'm talking about the one in your pic that goes from the front to the rear bulkheads. If so, let me know as I would like to purchase one.

I happened to have read your review on the Wraith motor in another forum and sent you an email through your user profile on that side. Feel free to email me back or reply here.

By the way... I couldn't agree with you more about all your comments regarding the Wraith, Quark, and Troy at BPP. All very outstanding performers...!!!

bbking9 Guest

Great review AK and yes Troy is great.

Have had my eye on the Quark - since I use a MAC - the Mamab link does me no good. Im using Tekin Mini Rage ESC right now and love it.

Also saw the JWerks system -
    http://www.allspeedhobbies.com/catal...4a5ece4760ed68

Looks like a Quark ESC to me - just repackaged. I asked them - they said no - not sure though - how many ESC look like that?

Again great review.

+ Reply to Thread