+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Diffs oil

activeperception Guest

I forgot another detail:

On my axles (rear in particula) I had a lot of small movements due to the fact that the plastic arms are not very tight. So I have inserted some washers almost everywhere and not the wheels are very 'stable'. Have I done the right thing? or these movements where designed for a specific reason?

I hope you will understand me because I don't know the exact word in english (in Italian there is just one word to indicate it and is 'gioco' i.e. game)

Thanks again,
    Raf

...Raf you are doing great mate...We know exactly what you are talking about You call it 'game'; we call it 'play'...same thing brother

...Putting in washers to keep the pins from moving is a good thing to do...You can actually move your lower-arm pins back or forwards using spacers and slightly change your wheelbase if you need to Keep up the good work...You will have a great ride in no time

FHM101 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by activeperception
    do you know where I can learn in details the effects of toe/camber/caster/diffs...? Maybe a good website/doc?

Consider that the track is a plain plastic carpet quite slippery.
    with all other things stock is that out of slow curve the car seems to push to the extern of the curve too much. Like the front doesn't grasp (is it called understeering?)

Another question, how do you change the front camber? I have the 20degree hub.

Unfortunately I cannot find grease to fill in the diffs in near shops. What about filling the rear with 20000 or 30000 oil?

Raf
    Unfortunatly, I don't know of any single source on the web for these explainations. There are several books available that explain them as they apply to 1:1 cars, but not all of the information transfers to our models.

One good source of information on suspension tuning for rc race cars is a Losi assembly manual for one of their off road cars/trucks. These manuals contain an excellent tuning guide that takes each adjustment and explains how it is done and what effect it has on handling.

On the slow curves, try getting out of the throttle just before you turn the wheels, coast through the turn, then straighten your wheels and get back on the gas. If your track has a lot of this type of turn, lower your car all the way round, then raise your rear ride height a bit more than usual to put more weight on the front wheels. You may want to consider a rear sway bar. As a general rule, a sway bar will add steering to the oposite end of the car from which it is mounted.

Camber is the tilt of the wheels in or out, as viewed from the rear of the car. Camber is adjusted by lengthening or shortening the upper link. For the type of track you describe, try running your front tires with no camber at all.

Grease used in the diffs need not be hobby specific. I use a stiff silicone grease sold as a lubricant/protectant for heavy saltwater fishing reels. Automotive chassis or wheel bearing grease would work as well. You could try the oil as anything would be better than nothing.

+ Reply to Thread