+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Racers???????????

auto2 Guest

with 20000 in the FT dif dont you have a huge on power push?

hrtln Guest

No. I have more steering than I know what to do w/.

BiGRoB21 Guest

one of the main thing with set ups is the surface you are running on. havent seen anyone mention what type of surface they were running on.

i finally got my h8 running again so when i get back to the track and run some i will be posting my setup.

auto2 Guest

good point. I just "assumed" we were talking about dirt. you know that dirty stuff.:-)

anyway I'm on real hard packed sometimes dusty, not too smooth but not ruff almost but not quite blue groove.

one thing I noticed is with the ST and the pitbull with the motor in the back the stock springs are too stiff.

so I'm up to blue in the rear and red up front. no spacers and the ft spring cut 2 coils to get bones leval. 50 wt in the rear and 35 wt losi in the front with one hole piston in the ft and stock 2 hole in the rear.

my diffs are dry at the moment with center ball dif 1/64 from full tight.

I tried a set of proline buggy tires on the St but they rub in the rear . what do you have for and St size rim and a proline hole shot style tire?

BiGRoB21 Guest

auto2- that sounds like the surface i am running on.

the track i normally run the h8 on is currentley changeing the layout right now, but when i am able to get back out there i will post my setup.

FHM101 Guest

I race my half8 at a local indoor dirt track and it's loads of fun. My car is by no means the fastest at the track, but it's plenty quick into and out of the corners, and rough track handling is excellent. While the insane speed freaks are overshooting the corners and bouncing off walls, and cars with tons of aluminum bling are pushing in the corners, I just motor by the carnage and turn under them.

My H8 setup

Surface: Sand/clay/topsoil mix. Hard packed, swept and watered between rounds.

Battery: 8 cell saddle pack IB1200 cells

Motor/ESC: Hyperion 5000 12T pinion, Mamba25, motor parameters setup by Troy at BPP

Servo: Hitec 81MG

Radio: M8 w/Spektrum

Rear
    Shocks: upper center hole on tower, kyosho 2 hole pistons, 70wt Losi oil, white springs, no preload.
    Upper link: stock location on both ends, 1.5 degrees of negative camber
    Hub: stock location
    Toe/Antisquat Block: C/stock
    Diff: bushing replaced with bearing, case packed with heavy silicone grease
    Droop: 2mm
    Wheels/Tires: stock
    Ride Height: bones slightly above level

Front
    Shocks: upper inner hole on tower, kyosho 2 hole pistons, 60wt losi oil, white springs, no preload.
    Upper arms: stock location, 1 degree of negative camber
    Hub Carrier: stock
    Toe: 1 degree positive
    Upper/Lower Pin Blocks: stock
    Diff: bushing replaced with bearing, full coating of heavy silicone grease on gears
    Droop: 2mm
    Wheels/Tires: stock
    Ride Height: bones level

Center
    Diff: Bushing replaced with bearing, full coating of heavy silicone grease on gears.
    Slipper: 3.7mm, bushings replaced with bearings, disk edge beveled then worked with 120 grit sandpaper, slips for about 2 feet on hard acceleration.

Mods
    F/R Towers: Kyosho aluminum
    F/R Shocks: Kyosho optional
    all bushings replaced with bearings
    center diff shimmed up
    servo mount ground for arm clearance to allow use of rubber servo mounts
    most hardware replaced with M3 machine screws.
    Proline body
    M3 washer between right hand steering post and top brace.

I like a planted car and this setup gives me that. It has a tiny bit of off power push, but not enough to make it a problem. I would like a bit less antisquat so the car would be more neutral in the air, but so far I have not found anywhere to get front lower pin blocks for the rear arms to adjust this with.

I bought a set of proline crime fighters when I got the car, but so far I like the way the stock tires work so I have not tried the CF's.

The only thing I really want to do from here is shim out the slack in the wheels and work on the bumpsteer, other than those 2 things and looking for antisquat blocks, I really like the way my little buggy works on the track.
    Last edited by FHM101; 04-10-2006 at 05:17 PM.

BiGRoB21 Guest

man i completely forgot about this thread and have started to work on my set up more and more. im still not completely where i want the car to be but im getting close and the car is feeling really good.

leapingbug Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BiGRoB21
    man i completely forgot about this thread and have started to work on my set up more and more. im still not completely where i want the car to be but im getting close and the car is feeling really good.
    WHAT DONT YOU LIKE STILL

BiGRoB21 Guest

well i made a switch to the new c/f tires and that gave the car way more traction so i have to retune the car for it. also my st diffs were set a tad too loose now and diff out on a hard on power turn, this makes the car try to switch back then spins it out. also im working with my shock set up again, because im getting more springs in now for tuneing options, all this and i have the ball diffs for the front and rear on the way. i still want to get rid oc some more of the bumpsteer and im thinking about making the switch back to my stock chassis.

BiGRoB21 Guest

ok i spent 4 hours one night switching back over to my stock chassis, and retuneing my hole car. final result...... amazing! did a few little mods and got all the bump steer out. improved my steeering throw, and fine tuned my suspension and diff so the car dosent diff out on a sharp turn.

+ Reply to Thread