+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why don't we have metal diff gears?

Batman Guest

Default Why don't we have metal diff gears?

Why doesn't anyone make metal geared oil filled diffs front rear and centre? Is it too expensive or can't they make strong metal gears that small, and if they can't why don't they make the teeth bigger? Kyosho have to know people are jamming in all sorts of crazy engines. These things are mini inferno sports not mini kanais or 777s which is a shame because i have a kanai.
    Or are they waiting for the nitro mi to be released and do them all then. Surely that thing will need metal gears...

Hawk Guest

The ST diffs front and rear if built with reasonable care hole silcone diff oil just fine, are tune-able and last with the gearing and tires of a stadium truck. Now, if the slipper, ctr diff could be improved as well, we would all be in heaven.

As for the 1/8 machines, there are gears and there are gears. In a way, yes, you could look at it that way, Sport RTR vs MP777 SP2. the SP2 costs twice as much and has all the good parts to race. The sport has been put together for you and all you need to do is add gas (nitro) and batts for the rx/tx and run the thing. The diffs will shred in serious racing, the tires don't grip a track and the electronics are missing several features that are almost required for serious racing drivers. The motor in that thing doesn't make the serious horsepower (real race motors cost as much as the RTR Kyosho Inferno Sport) and don't last long if you lean them out.

So, yes, there is no Kanai version of the Half 8. It may be coming, it may not be coming. Hang out, play and have fun. Learn the platform and stop whining. Sorry, I shouldn't say that. Most people already know what you labled as lacking though there are metal gears out there made by GPM, if you can find them.

Figure out how to make what you have work or do something else. Make a contribution to fixing things, that is a positive effort.

scottb Guest

Default Unlike the Mini LST, the engineering & materials are sufficient

I've found the diffs in the ST to be very durable (20+ packs w a 3cell LIPO & Mamba 5400). The one trick I have done is to shim the rear diff so the input gear is slightly tighter (use 6mm shims - Tamiya sells them).

The nylon seems to be durable enough IMO for the diffs. The Mini LST has this problem (I sold both of mine) - but I think it was due to poor nylon quality and the input gear that had too much slop. I wouldn't mind metal input gears, but I wonder if it is necessary.

777 Lover Guest

Sounds like good advice for the shim just to make it a little tighter, i too have an ST i am running a 6800KV Mamba with the 8 cell integy pack, i believe each pack to be 1200 MAH, i love this ST and have begun the upgrade empty pocket syndrome, but i feel that the slipper slips too much and it is a little annoying, i know this thing can fly we just have to help each other out in figuring it all out, i refuse to go LIPO till this thing runs good with what i have, metal gears maybe something to look at as well, Ivan! Either way guys out there let us know the improvements and where items were bought! I cant wait for the Nitro Buggy, now that is where i feel the most comfortable.....Nitro!

Batman Guest

I would love to fix the problem, but i am not an engineer and i don't have the required machinery. I don't see how i can contribute to fixing this, what do you want me to do? I'm not going to pay US$20+ for plastic diffs that hold a bit of oil and may or may not last any longer. I just got two diffs for my kanai for $20 each, and they're very unlikely to brake. I guess i could sell my mi and wait for the nitro one. By the way i run(ran) a hyperion 6000 with a three cell.
    It's kinda sad how kyoshos top level stuff dominates while their entry level stuff... doesn't.

And the reason i'm whining is because i've had my mi for 6 months or so and it's run for about two minutes. It was a great two minutes but here in aus kyosho parts aren't so easy to come by. And if i did replace the diff i can't see it lasting too much longer given the power going through it (i like to go fast, i have a modded 421b in my buggy).

scottb Guest

Default Get rid of the metal slipper washer and put in a rubber washer

Quote Originally Posted by 777 Lover
    ...the slipper slips too much...
    I replaced the metal slipper and put in a rubber washer (you can get them at the hardware store). If not a rubber washer, then two o-rings (one inside the other). This allows the slipper to work correctly. Atomic also makes a fiber washer (sold on Ebay).

Hawk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Batman
    I would love to fix the problem, but i am not an engineer and i don't have the required machinery. I don't see how i can contribute to fixing this, what do you want me to do? I'm not going to pay US$20+ for plastic diffs that hold a bit of oil and may or may not last any longer. I just got two diffs for my kanai for $20 each, and they're very unlikely to brake. I guess i could sell my mi and wait for the nitro one. By the way i run(ran) a hyperion 6000 with a three cell.
    It's kinda sad how kyoshos top level stuff dominates while their entry level stuff... doesn't.

And the reason i'm whining is because i've had my mi for 6 months or so and it's run for about two minutes. It was a great two minutes but here in aus kyosho parts aren't so easy to come by. And if i did replace the diff i can't see it lasting too much longer given the power going through it (i like to go fast, i have a modded 421b in my buggy).
    Sorry, that was dumb on my part. I said when I wrote it that I should not have said that. I don't know why I didn't go back and delete it. It wasn't really the thought I was trying to get through.

I have a Xspeed stocker and a Hyperion 5000kv on a Pitbull chassis. The diffs are holding up very well. The ctr. not so good. Tighten the slipper, I think the MIP ball diff center will fix this issue. There have been slipper fixes put out from lock it solid to rubber washers to tighten with a rag and pliers. It has proved to be the biggest problem, even more than the steering hub/knuckle screws falling out and binding issues.

This is a brand new platform. You are getting in on the ground floor. Thrashing the beast at its weakest, and most raw form. I remember when the Inferno and Burns turbos were breaking left and right. It has taken years of corporate commitment to make the 1/8 world class tough and the car to beat.

Look at their 1/8 on road. It isn't the killer car like the MP777 in its class. 1/10 on road is awesome and highly competative. I tell you, if Kanai ran half eights they would be real different.

I didn't want to get down on you. I have had similar feelings with this car from time to time. It is better than anything else out there in this class/size. and I like that it looks like mini me of the MP777.

hrtln Guest

Wink

If they came out w/ metal diffs, I would still run the ST's. I am running a 3 cell brushless, and have had many hard racing runs on them. I have not had one prob. They are lasting longer than my SP2 diffs. As soon as someone takes care of the center diff, these buggies will be bullet proof. Even though the center has been doing pretty good as well for me latley.

Batman Guest

I do like the car, the two minutes it ran were special because it went so fast and i could control it up my dirt driveway unlike my 8000kv rc18t. It hit bumps and did monos but didn't flip over and turned corners! But then it broke.

I never had problems with the slipper, i pulled it apart and shoe gooed cut up bits of savage slipper in there. Works beautifully.

What i really want to do is put 1/10th wheels on it and run it with the three cell and the hyperion at the races. I reckon it can keep up with some of those hyper 7s

+ Reply to Thread