+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How many cells on stock H8?

Stickyfingers Guest

Default How many cells on stock H8?

Hi all, 1st post

Great forum. Just bought an H8 which was going to be kept stock (yeah right) but after not even putting through a set of 2300mah nimh AA'a it's clear this thing isn't quick enough!

I've ordered some 9.6v packs but wondered if anyone has tried running 10 cells ie 12v through the stock ESC?

Just really trying to find an economical way of upping the speed- I would really like to go lipo/brushless but my T-Rex heli has eaten up my lipo fund and my Raptor 50 heli munches anything left over. Oh and the heavily modded REVO has left me without a kidney as well

If 10 cells wont work then I may try and sell my other kidney to fund the H8 B/L motor, lipo and esc. Does anyone sell a 'kit' to do such a conversion?

Thanks!

Hawk Guest

Read this: http://halfeight.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1566

I added 9.6v pack and it ran fine. Added X-speed motor and it ran much better. Take a look, I know I have let it languish in of the first page. You can get good performance with minor directed upgrades. The URC x packs are wonderous and help. The x speed motor is a cheap upgrade and will work with the stock electronics.
    The alloy motor mount is a requirement in my book and should be on of the first steps to a better buggy/ST.

I am in the process of adding a Quantum Micro ESC (LRP) and a JR synth. receiver. This will requre a new steer servo but that is a good thing.

The brushed motors have not been explored as much as the bl setups and I think that may be a mistake. I think there are lots of good motors out that that haven't gotten a try yet.

Good luck.

Stickyfingers Guest

Thanks Hawk, but are you saying you HAVE tried 12v or not? The only modified motor I have seen over here in the UK is the Kyosho one (KIHW13) any idea how that compares to the X-spec one you mention?

Thanks

bermbuster Guest

12v will burn up the stock esc. Kyosho makes now 2 types of x speed motors red label (speed) blue label (torque) I dont have the #s.

CrustyNoodle Guest

Sticky,

I found this a good thread re motor selection....

http://www.halfeight.com/forums/showthread.php?t=682

Hawk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Stickyfingers
    Thanks Hawk, but are you saying you HAVE tried 12v or not? The only modified motor I have seen over here in the UK is the Kyosho one (KIHW13) any idea how that compares to the X-spec one you mention?

Thanks
    I think the Kyosho number for the ST version of the Xspeed is IHW31.

No, I have not tried 12v as yet. My guess it that the stock esc will fry. I am surprised it doesn't go up in smoke with 9.6v. I remember some people saying their electronics (esc/rcvr) just quit working after a short while.

So, before you go brushless, as it is a huge investment of money, blood, sweat and tears, put in a decent rx/tx combo, an esc that can handle your voltage needs and try brushless.

I guess I am running against the grain as I don't think much of trying for land speed records with offroad built vehicles. I remember the Mini T 50-60 mph claims and aims. Not my cup of tea. If you want an offroad buggy or ST, that handles, brakes, and is fun to drive, upgrade to the H8 works wonders.

Some of the lower priced upgrades (Xspeed motor is $20, Aon is $50.) I am running the Xspeed IHW13, with stock electronics and am only changing to aftermarket RX and brushless esc because 1:I have them laying around and it is easy, no cost, low cost. 2: I think there is something to be gained from this approach over the stock electronics because of features, efficiency and reliability.

If you go brushless later, the esc will have to change unless you go big bucks and get one of those 'do everything, everybody' escs. Might not be a bad way to go if it floats your boat.

Stickyfingers Guest

Thanks for everyones help I've decided to go for the red label Kyosho motor (speed) as it's not too expensive. I've got some 9.6v batts on order too so hopefully the two combined will give me a bit more oomph. I'm just trying to find some decent shocks for the thing now because the stock ones are worse then useless IMO. Doesn't seem to be a lot of upgrade options in the UK re shocks?

Cheers all

Hawk Guest

Get your ya yas out.

Hey Sticky, I have the Kyosho upgrade shocks. Look on ebay and sometimes you can get a good price. They are expensive but worth it in my opinion. Many people have found 3Racing shocks are useable if you make some changes to them. Drill the holes in the piston, use CP350 oil I think. I has been a long time since it was posted.

My sugestion is go to Ronny's corner and read it beginning to end and it will answer many many questions you have or will have. 3r shocks, servos, steering and on and on. If everyone would invest the time and read that one thread, I know it is really long but you don't have to do it in one sitting, they would not have as many old questions.

The funny thing to me is the ST shocks (plastic body and all) are quite good for stockers. I haven't changed them on my box stock ST. I have Kyosho upgrade shocks and springs sitting ready to go but haven't felt the need yet.
    I haven't raced the ST, only run on a track. No class to fit it where I usually go.

Turtleman, Bermbuster and Bithed have some good posts for information. Tman wrote the book on steering. Check it out.

racermike Guest

Default Purple label??

Quote Originally Posted by bermbuster
    12v will burn up the stock esc. Kyosho makes now 2 types of x speed motors red label (speed) blue label (torque) I dont have the #s.

OK, so whats the HT......with a purple label?

http://cgi.ebay.com/KYOSHO-ORIGINAL-...QQcmdZViewItem

bermbuster Guest

looks like the blue label is now purple.....

+ Reply to Thread