+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: aon 4900 motor mount question...

cfurman Guest

Default aon 4900 motor mount question...

I have an Inferno ST and just purchased a Tekin ESC and AON 4900 motor... do I need a special motor mount for the AON motor? Will will the stock motor mount work? Do I need some kind of adapter?

bermbuster Guest

the stock motormount is plastic. It will work but with the torque and heat generated by the AON it will float. When this happens the pinion will eat up the slipper spur.....get an aluminum motormount.

Trickpatrick Guest

Even then with the extra power the chassie will flex and the mesh will fluctuate.
    Just keep an eye on it.

...AON mounts with 3mm screws...H8 motor mounts are 2.6mm and need to be made 3mm...

...Go alloy...Thats all there is to it...

theturd Guest

use a reamer to enlarge the mounting hole. the adjustment is very small, so don't over do it.

cfurman Guest

2 questions....

Can you take a standard reamer to an aluminum mount like that?

And do I need to change from my stock pinion gear for the AON4900? If so, which one and where do I get it?

Thanks...

Trickpatrick Guest

Yes but I prefered a drill bit.

You'll need to go smaller pinion
    12 t is popular I run a 10 on a Technical track so somewhere in there will be good.

Remember the shaft size may change as well there is at least 2mm 2.3 mm and 3 mm
    I havnt had the AON so I dont know which it is.
    Stock Half 8 is 2.3 mm

...2 Answers...

...I drill my motor mounts....by hand, very slowly and very carefully...The 3R mount has ribbing which is a ;itt;e tricky to get through so be careful

...I use HPI RS4 Micro pinions or more recently pinions for the MiniZilla...The AON (and Mamba?) have a 2.0mm shaft...The STOCK shaft is 2.3...Associated pinions, a'la 18T fit too apparently but i have always had issues with them...I personally prefer HPI...

...The TURD...Now my marketing mind has started turning...Wouldnt it be a good idea if AON did their OWN pinions? How is that for a little bit of brilliance? LOL...I know you probably have the right 'people' to get them done...Yeah...in hardened steel RED

theturd Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BitHed
    ...The TURD...Now my marketing mind has started turning...Wouldnt it be a good idea if AON did their OWN pinions? How is that for a little bit of brilliance? LOL...I know you probably have the right 'people' to get them done...Yeah...in hardened steel RED
    I do know people to get them done, but I don't know how to make them better. Surfaced harden steel pinion in RED alone does not qualify an improvement, lol. Second, I am actually still trying to figure out ways to standarize shaft dia for regular consumers, so that we can all easily use readily available pinions.

pointcrossed Guest

I just use HPI micro pinions they fit just fine, Orion pinions work too...

+ Reply to Thread