+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: New Eclipse Graphite Chassis

...yes...QUITE differnet to my STiffy Man you GOTTA loev that name lol...

...Hoss has designed this very well...I dig the motor mount plate...I was trying to get CAW to mock one up for me...the same as their 540 chassis but what blew me away about Hoss's design was the 'regular' bolts in the square pattern and the 'adjustable' bolts in the diamond pattern...Absolutley uber-genius...

plain_simple Guest

Yeah, that plate is an improvement for sure
    I also dig the possibility of having the rear and front motor setup available on the chassis althought i think that for everyone that use lipos the car will always have weight tweak due to the fact that theres no space to put the Rx on the left side so the only way to match the right vs left weight is to add some extra weight to the all configuration and i dont like that too much...
    Butttt... for all of those that use NiMh it should be the way to go

Edit 1: I also dig that STiffy name you came up with
    Last edited by plain_simple; 11-07-2005 at 02:00 PM.

DrVonHoSS Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gulfclk
    Great work, I like people who know what they design. I made mine in the same way, fibre orientation makes the difference!

Great job ... glad to see more people know what CF and the technologie behind it is all about.

I'm supprised though you could keep the cost that low. I made 4 chassis as well, machine shop was for free, but the CF was expensive. I used 2 outer layers of 93 gr/mē plain whichs costs here almost 120 USD/mē ...

Great job ... hope you have more nice work coming ....
    This guy said all this - and he isnt even on the payroll! Thanks!! I wish the price was a little lower.. that way I could still charge $75 and make some cash!! Unfortunately the machine shop that is making the chassis is very busy.. so CNC time costs are at a premium. In my opinion the price is more than fair considering the quality... but the chassis may be out of some peoples price range.

The upper decks should be completed tomorrow night and 2 more chassis's should be done - but both are spoken for.

The good news is that I got my Mini-T almost ready to race.. wish I didn't sell that extra personal transponder I had! Oh well... heres a couple pics. The chassis, bumper, and rear sway bar were made by Eclipse also (back in early 2004). This chassis is 10mm longer than stock and helps with stability.

Just for comparision.. the HALF8 now weights 900 grams and the Mini-T is 624 grams (both cars fully loaded and RTR).

I will post when more chassis's are ready.

mat3833 Guest

cool, how hard was it to design the chassis? i had designed one but i havent made it. it is the 1/15 buggy one. it seems to look ok but i cant get it made at my school, the CNCs arent working.

Matt

DrVonHoSS Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mat3833
    cool, how hard was it to design the chassis? i had designed one but i havent made it. it is the 1/15 buggy one. it seems to look ok but i cant get it made at my school, the CNCs arent working.

Matt
    Matt...

Designing isn't that tough if you have the mind for it. The tough part is actually making the chassis. The first HALF8 chassis I made was done with a scroll saw, band saw, Mill (not CNC), and a belt sander. Carbon Fiber destroys everything that it touches. The carbon dust is a pain too.

Making the chassis with the tools I originally used was tough and took many many hours. If you attempt to make one just make sure the drive line is straight!! I slipped up on a MINI-T chassis last year.. the damn truck looked like a dog walking down the street with a broken ass... pathetic!

Oh yah.. have you seen Mitch?

gulfclk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DrVonHoSS
    Matt...

Designing isn't that tough if you have the mind for it. The tough part is actually making the chassis. The first HALF8 chassis I made was done with a scroll saw, band saw, Mill (not CNC), and a belt sander. Carbon Fiber destroys everything that it touches. The carbon dust is a pain too.

Making the chassis with the tools I originally used was tough and took many many hours. If you attempt to make one just make sure the drive line is straight!! I slipped up on a MINI-T chassis last year.. the damn truck looked like a dog walking down the street with a broken ass... pathetic!

Oh yah.. have you seen Mitch?
    You're right. Designing the chassis is not soo bad. The first sample in CF (handmade that is) is always a pain. You have to use diamond stuff to cut and drill it, if not ... To drill the holes, I use special kevlar drills.
    What I normally do is first make the drawing and the machine program, then I machine one out of poly carbonate just to see if the dimensions, fittings, ... are OK. Then, the first CF chassis is made to test, and then the others.

The cost for your chassis? Perfectly normal. I always wonder how most people can keep chassis costs that low, but when you look at the materials used, it's clear. Not all CF but a lot of glass ...

...I just WISH i had even ONE of those tools, AND the time to do it...It took me AGES to cut STiffy, thank goodness it was only 1mm...I used some paper knives for crying out loud...and a big ass file that looked like it been used for doing elephant toenails..lol...and THATS why i have the BIGGEST respect for you guys that do this stuff and make it look so good...

...NOW i know why Hoss was saying 'I hate working with carbon..' Big nod of the hat to the guys that do this stuff, WHATEVER their opinion on how THICK something should be Peace...

DrVonHoSS Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BitHed
    ...I just WISH i had even ONE of those tools, AND the time to do it...It took me AGES to cut STiffy, thank goodness it was only 1mm...I used some paper knives for crying out loud...and a big ass file that looked like it been used for doing elephant toenails..lol...and THATS why i have the BIGGEST respect for you guys that do this stuff and make it look so good...

...NOW i know why Hoss was saying 'I hate working with carbon..' Big nod of the hat to the guys that do this stuff, WHATEVER their opinion on how THICK something should be Peace...
    A paper cutter?? I didnt even think that was possible!!

My opinion, and this is just my opinion.. is that 2.5mm is perect. But.. I think 2mm would work well if you used chassis braces. If you are milling the carbon to sink the motor mount holes you would probably need at least 3.5mm.

The motor sub-mount seems to be the way to go. Very strong and the chassis is still light weight.. best of both worlds.

Bit.. I got your email.. I am waiting for an hour of free time to reply!

...CAW has a two-piece motor mount that you fit ONCE to the chassis and then move the top piece to adjust the motor...Quite clever but timing and other projects prevented us from getting it perfectly wired...

...Yeah Hoss sorry about that mail...you got my juices going and I just couldnt stop

gulfclk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DrVonHoSS
    A paper cutter?? I didnt even think that was possible!!

My opinion, and this is just my opinion.. is that 2.5mm is perect. But.. I think 2mm would work well if you used chassis braces. If you are milling the carbon to sink the motor mount holes you would probably need at least 3.5mm.

The motor sub-mount seems to be the way to go. Very strong and the chassis is still light weight.. best of both worlds.

Bit.. I got your email.. I am waiting for an hour of free time to reply!
    Well Hoss, it USED to be a paper cutter ... RIP!

If you respect us for doing this stuff, we have to respect you for cutting CF with paper cutters, even if it was 1mm.

On the thickness ... you know my point of view. Sunk motor screws and 3.5mm thick, that's the way I went.

Bit, I still might have a spare 3.5mm chassis for you. Interested? Drop me a mail ...

+ Reply to Thread