+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: A few questions..Regarding 777 Sp1

Hawk Guest

About the motor. If it works and starts/runs good, you could use it to become familiar. It will eventually give you trouble though. Get a good motor and have lots more fun with power to throw the thing around and really use the suspension. He's right, the more power you have the more the ability of the buggy will show.
    I like the OS VZ-B VSpec. It is powerful, has great low end, great top end and is easy to break in and tune. Once you break it in, it just runs and runs. You don't have to tweak it unless you want that extra 2% power out of it.
    Use 30% nitro fuel like O'donnels but you are not in the states so you can probably find good quality 25% nitro fuel. Use afterrun oil when you are done for the day and keep the insides in good shape.
    I didn't see a temp gauge in the list, get one. There are many that are modest in cost but useful. Use a heat gun unless the temperature is hot outside. Get the engine nice and warm before you start it up and the compression will stay for a long time.
    If you have trouble starting, change to a new glow plug and try it. If that doesn't work, go over things logically, one step at a time.

And most of all, have fun.

Thomas P Guest

Thanks for those tipīs mr Hawk..i think i found my new home , il pick it up tomorow morning (friday) .first im gonna test drive it,then im gonna ear it apart,and change,clean every single part of the car..to bad the manual was lost,( could be fun to have) gona order a new one.

Hawk Guest

For an instruction manual on the MP777 SP1, follow the link and click on the 'Instruction Manual' button. It will down load. Acrobat reader for printing or reading.
    http://commerce2.i2net.com/able55sto...-P738C104.aspx

I thoroughly encourage you to find out what makes it tick. Take the shocks/springs off the arms and move them with you hands. Make sure there is no binding. If it is eliminate it. Check the steering is smooth and no binding or rough spots there also.

Turn the center diff with your hand and see how smooth the transmission and diffs are. It should feel like butter. No noise, rough spots or binding. Make sure the bearings are clean and put a spot of light oil on them.

Put new diff oil in the ctr and rear diffs if the front it lsd. Or change silicone fluid in all three (3k/5k/1k frt/ctr/rear). Set the gear mesh. This is one area that gets lots of abuse and will break if you let it. The crown/bevel gear will chew each other up if too loose or tight. put a little grease on them and set them with almost no backlash. Get the shims to set the diff in the bulkhead against the bevel gear. Make sure the set screw on the output shaft to the center is locktighted and snug against the bulkhead.

Change the clutch bearings (get several of those 5/10 bearings) and clean the inside of the clutch bell and outside of the clutch shoes. For bashing and occasional racing, get the carbon shoes with 1.0 springs for better results and less maintenance. Don't leave oil or grease in the clutch bearings esp. the inside one. It just gets on the clutch when things get hot.

Put new fuel tubing on with a cleaned filter. Take the fuel tank off and wash it out by sloshing fuel around inside and pour it out. Check to make sure it will hold pressure.

Don't overtighten the screws. This is at least their second trip into their hole so it should be smooth but tight. Any rough spots or difficulty, find out why. Replace the screws that are not perfect. Screws are cheap and no big deal on the bench. They ruin you day when the break or come out in the field.

Use clean new fuel. Use freshly charged ignitor and starter battery. Make sure the receiver battery is in good shape and charged.

But most of all, Have a good time.

plain_simple Guest

Quote Originally Posted by EphiDelt490
    Thanks ...

Problem was solved as soon as I got in the pit after it happened.
    I've got a new body now, that's the kit body and I just threw some paint on it to get it on the track.

-Adam
    I like the way you throw that paint
    I was referring to the knuckle issue...

EphiDelt490 Guest

I know JT , I was too, lol. I fixed it after it happened, but it was in the qualifier so it didn't help me at all in that round. Then the damn battery died with 2 1/2 minutes left in the 30 minute A-Main, grrrr... Solved that though, bought a 2600 mah pack, no more worries. Hawk, have you heard of the bearing problems in the VSpec? I know quite a few people who have had the front bearing start leaking air after only a couple gallons.

plain_simple Guest

Great, glad you did solve it Adam.. about the bearing on the V-Spec i guess he knows about it and he actually has some way of getting ceramic bearings to replace the original one's... not a bad idea, uhn?!

Hawk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by plain_simple
    Great, glad you did solve it Adam.. about the bearing on the V-Spec i guess he knows about it and he actually has some way of getting ceramic bearings to replace the original one's... not a bad idea, uhn?!
    I have three OS motors. No bearing problems. Rock solid. I have had several people that referred to a bearing problem but have never talked to anyone that has owned an engine that had it. It is kind of funny that way.
    I am going to put new bearings in my oldes VSpec. The bearing size is a very common one. Same as the P5 Novarossi motors and the RB 14mm crank engines like the C5.
    Bocca has ceramic hybred large crank bearing and RB Concept has a ceramic hybred for the C5 too. As part of my winter rebuild, I will be installing new bearings in my old motor with cylinder and piston. After a little breakin, I will replace the rod too.

Like I said above, always heat the crankcase before starting. It cranks easier and keeps the compression up there. Less wear and tear on the engine all around. It is certainly worth the little time in my book.

One thing I forgot above is get a good air cleaner with plenty of replaceable elements and oil. There are all kinds of brands and expensive to cheap. The Mugen buggy aircleaner setup is $8-9 and works well in MP777. Get plenty of elements and keep them oiled in a baggy. Change them often and keep dirt out of the engine.

I have tried several engines as part of our engine development program. RB C5, NovaMax P5, OS and even an on road. I like the VSpec for our program. The power is right, the power range is excellent and it just runs and runs. Just feed it clean fuel, keep the dirt out and heat it before starting. We will probably try other engines this next year as well.

We also tried a professionally modified motor. It was very nice and the biggest return on the investment was the fuel mileage improvement (about 30%). We may or may not do that again.

EphiDelt490 Guest

Hawk it's the same here. I know 2 guys that have had there VSpec's for damn near 5 and 6 gallons, and they still run strong. Then other's who have blown the front bearing in about 2 gallons. I'm sure it boils down to how the motor is serviced and cleaned. I have a big Hurricane benefit race this weekend, have to see if the tired old RG will hold up .

-Adam

Thomas P Guest

Damn, nice with som tips ..

Here is da car. just cleaned..

plain_simple Guest

Now... doesnt that looks way better then a RC18T and MiniQuake?!
    Soon you'll be changing that bashing idea for racing

+ Reply to Thread