+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 95% done.. and parts review

DrVonHoSS Guest

Default 95% done.. and parts review

Ok.. its about 95% done. I finally got my stuff from Dinball. Since I had to sign for the package and I was at work I was forced to stalk the mailman. Its a long story but it involves me smoking tires on my Explorer, almost running over a garbage man and jumping out of the truck before putting it in park.. but thats another story.

Heres my opinion on the parts I received.

Manufacturers:

3Racing- I hate to admit it but they make the best hop up parts. All the 3Racing parts fit properly and looked good. The shocks looked like they might be a problem.. but after changing to a 2 hole piston and 20wt oil they are great.

GPM - I liked the look and finish of the parts.. too bad I had fitting issues will every GPM part I bought. The yellow alloy tie-rods look sweet but I guarantee they will be a problem. I'd probably still buy from this company.

SATO - No one seems to mention these guys but there parts are great. Finish was good and fit was perfect. Very happy!

Atomic - The only Atomic part I bought was a pinion... it didn't fit. I found that the plastic X-Ray pinions are a perfect fit on an AON motor. Gears seems a little noisy though. Come to think of it I also bought an upper graphite deck from Atomic but decided not to use it.

TopCad - What a disappointment!! There stuff looks great but absolutely did not fit. The only parts I bought by TopCad were the front and rear universals and neither fit. I tried putting the fronts on the rear and vice vera.. no good. Those will be the last items I buy made by TopCad.

Kyosho - The only aftermarket Kyosho part I bought were Tires/Rims. They look much better than stock but the compound seems a little hard.

Yeah Racing - I bought aluminum diff out drives from Yeah racing.. They are lighter than 3Racing's but definitely look weaker.. we'll see.

Sellers (some ebay - some website):

Dinball (ebay)- shipping was kinda slow but my order was 100% correct.

Rjblaisdell (The Toyz) (ebay)- This guy is located in the US and he ships super fast! In the future I will try and buy everthing from this guy.

Stella Models (ebay)- Shipping was faster than Dinball and my order was correct.

AON Electric (website)- My Mamba/AON motor showed up 2 days after placing my order.. very fast!!

Jandgstore (ebay)- I only ordered a few parts from this seller.. package arrived the same day as Dinballs.. a little slow.

Castle Creations (website)- My order is on backorder.. I have no opinion. I do like the fact that there stuff is made in USA.. thats a huge plus with me.

UnitedRC (website)- Im still waiting for my battery! I will be returning it as soon as it arrives. They may have a great product but I dont like to wait.

FX AEROMODELS (website)- These guys were great! I bought my Lipo from them. Answered all my questions on the phone and the package arrived after only 3 days. The woman only the phone sounded Chinese.. Loved her accent!! Very nice!

Fastener-Express (website) - I bought all my aluminum screws and nuts from this company. Ive dealt with them in the past and have never had a problem.

Well.. I didnt have time to make new battey straps but heres a pic..

Last edited by DrVonHoSS; 10-27-2005 at 01:00 AM.

...Nice post Hoss...Your car is looking better each time i see it...good remarks on each of those manufactures, vendors and suppliers...UNFORTUNATELY PanicToys wasnt in there so i will have to remedy that at some stage

...Have to agree with you on the 3R parts...Great stuff...

Hawk Guest

Although yellow and purple are not my favorites, I got to say your H8 is really looking great. I just wish I could say it is the one I built. Haven't gotten that far yet, too lazy I guess. Anyway, congrats on a job well done.

Stella, 3Racing, GPM I totally agree. I use Fastener Express (I love the Stackon boxes, I have four so far) and their products are excellent quality. I also use RCScrewz. I don't use anybodies Stainless Steel, only 12-9 or 10-9 alloy steel. I have learned to love black. I use them once and throw it away, use a new one next time. Not worth the trouble of trying to get it out with rounded hex heads. RCScrewz has conversion kits and I use those.
    Beautiful car.

Ronny Guest

Doc

Sw-eeeeee-th ride, just what the doctor ordered Tell me, who made that chassie, and where to get one Thanks in advance

Ronny

bluegrooveracer Guest

hi doc i looks like we will be racing together sat nights indoor this winter with our show looking half eights [your is looking good] the 3 of us here at team bluegroove have the aon 4900 as well so we will be evenly matched it will be a blast, do you know if greg from universal is going to run with us? the only down side the track is only 44x32 so short for our fast cars, here is a link to your competion this winter http://www.one18th.com/6093Gallery.htm
    Last edited by bluegrooveracer; 10-27-2005 at 06:01 AM.

pimpsmurf Guest

Sweet ride! I want one of those CF chassis! =)

Yeah, I've found the exact same thing when dealing with 3racing, topcad, and GPM. 3racing being the only ones who actually engineer, and don't just copy.

-JNY

DrVonHoSS Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrooveracer
    hi doc i looks like we will be racing together sat nights indoor this winter with our show looking half eights [your is looking good] the 3 of us here at team bluegroove have the aon 4900 as well so we will be evenly matched it will be a blast, do you know if greg from universal is going to run with us? the only down side the track is only 44x32 so short for our fast cars, here is a link to your competion this winter http://www.one18th.com/6093Gallery.htm
    BlueGroove...

Wow!! Great looking cars!! This winter is gonna be great. The 44x32 layout is bigger than it sounds.. but I doubt our HALF8s will hit 60 mph on the back straight. There is probably room for 70+ racers in the pit area and there will be a drivers stand - the track surface will be clay. We will probably be way over powered for this track.. but it will be fun! What are you guys planning on running for batteries?

In response to the posts about the chassis..

I talked to the guy at the machine shop today.. he doesnt seem real motovated and in the past ive found that money is the only thing that can motovate him. I will probably have him cut, drill, and counter sink the chassis and I will wind up making all the aluminum parts. I dont mind milling aluminum but I hate working with carbon fiber.. hate it! Im guessing the price will be on the high side and supply will be limited. Our local racers will be the first to receive chassis's and then we will start shipping to people on the internet who are interested.. I'll post when I know more.

DrVonHoSS Guest

Update.. I received the Lipo pack from UnitedRC today. Im very surprised by its size and light weight.. but unfortunately I will not be using this pack.

bluegrooveracer Guest

Neil we will be runing gp 1100's they have been so reliable in the past we tried lipo's with poor sucess they all vented i don't know if we drained them to low or the charge rate was right so we just went back to gp but i'm anxious to see how your does this winter it might inspire me to give them a try again. any word on the first race night

DrVonHoSS Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrooveracer
    Neil we will be runing gp 1100's they have been so reliable in the past we tried lipo's with poor sucess they all vented i don't know if we drained them to low or the charge rate was right so we just went back to gp but i'm anxious to see how your does this winter it might inspire me to give them a try again. any word on the first race night
    No luck with the Lipos huh? I had a couple Tanic Lipos I used in my Mini-T and never had a problem.. but I didnt use them much because the truck was tooo fast for racing! I suspect im going to have the same problem with my HALF8 but im hoping for the best.

Greg is planning on racing!! I think he will be running a Duratrax Vendetta. I know his band plays a lot on Saturday nights so im not sure if he will be there every week. If you ever get the chance - go see his band.. there awesome.

Fueller was talking about a test and tune night on Nov. 10th I believe.. the clay hasnt even been hauled into the building yet.. so I guess we'll see.

We will be working on the track this Sunday.

+ Reply to Thread