+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: HALF8 Balls Diffs

DrVonHoSS Guest

Default HALF8 Balls Diffs

How do the ball diffs compare to the stock diffs offroad?

I plan on using an AON4900 with 7.4v Lipos - racing offroad. Ive bought pretty much every aluminum part made but I have not bought anything for the drive line. Actually I dont even have my car yet.. it should be in at my LHS tomorrow I hope. Aluminum parts keep showing up in the mail and I have nothing to attach them too.. its driving me crazy!!

If anyone has any advice about set-up and hop-ups for running on an offroad track please help me out!!

...Welcome to the boards Hoss...Please read through RONNYS CORNER and do some research through all the posts on the boards...There is ALOT of stuff here...

...Right now I can RECOMMEND a FULL 3RACING drivetrain...Your stock units might NOT like your power source...

...The 3RACING ball diffs will be out very soon...Hopefully by the end of November but that is NOT definite...3R has FINALLY settled on their make-up and is testing them for market as we speak...

...If you SERIOUSLY racing i would caution you on fitting ALL alloy parts...Try and keep your weight down...But to each his own Hope this helps...Peace..

DrVonHoSS Guest

What about Atomic ball diffs... any good??

Smoothound Guest

Some are using them, I tried them and disliked them

Back using standard diffs until the ST diffs are available...probably

DrVonHoSS Guest

I installed the MIP ball diff in my Mini-T and didnt like the performance and went back to stock.

I realize that the aluminum arms may be a little heavy for racing. Its tough to say.. on one hand a lighter car will react faster. But on the other hand a heavier car should get more traction and come out on top in the event that 2 buggies bump each other on the track.

I hope to have my new HALF8 this afternoon.. my fingers are crossed!

Oh yah.. is there a place online to order stock HALF8 parts? After market stuff is easy to find but I can't seem to locate a supplier of stock parts.
    Last edited by DrVonHoSS; 10-19-2005 at 01:19 PM.

kcobello Guest

Yee haa! Im in too . Hoss you have your "Bling" eight ready yet?

I hope we dont have to wait long for parts for these halfeights

...ATOMIC balls are good if you get them wired...many users dont like them...I run ATOMIC front and rear, done up quite tight and a little bit modified here and there; nothing major though..I like them...But i dont have the 3R sets to compare to yet...

...Try the shop here for stock parts or get them from me

mat3833 Guest

i am going to wait for the ST diffs(if they ever come out!!) i want to be able to tune more precisly and not have to worry about it losening up.

Matt

mat3833 Guest

oh and bit you got mail again.

Matt

DrVonHoSS Guest

Well.. I got my HALF8 today!!!

I pulled it out of the box and completly disassembled it.

I made a graphite chassis and reversed the center diff. I am hoping the Lipo pack is around the same weight as the motor. I plan on milling new chassis braces tomorrow. It comes with the stock MBX-5 type braces. I have to figure out a way to make the motor mount adjustable while still counter sinking it. I used 2.5mm graphite.. I could prolly mill out 1mm but the heads of the screws would still hang below the car.

I put the aluminum A Arms on.. they dont seem as heavy as I thought they would be. I realized a bunch of hop-ups I ordered (but am still waiting for) were a waste of money. The aluminum fake engine head is awesome.. but complety usless for racing. I wont be using the graphie upper deck I bought either. The car really isnt as chessy as I thought it would be but the drive line seems a bit weak. I havent seen many people complain so they must be OK.

I wonder if my stock electronics have any value.

Bithed.. I will definetly keep that in mind. How fast is shipping from Japan?

Kevin.. I'll bring my car to the track on Saturday so you can check it out.
    Last edited by DrVonHoSS; 10-20-2005 at 12:19 AM.

+ Reply to Thread