PDA

View Full Version : Compatible?

BitHed
03-31-2005, 01:42 PM
...What happens if I use a brushless ESC with a brushed motor? Can it be done? Is it worth it? Will the Scorpion mark the end of my brushed days?

Icey.Apple
03-31-2005, 02:07 PM
hm... donno... a brushless motor has 3 wires right?... so that could be a problem...

BitHed
03-31-2005, 02:10 PM
...REALLY ? I didnt know that...How come though? :confused:

Icey.Apple
03-31-2005, 02:21 PM
yup... donno why but the just do...

Rcdriver
03-31-2005, 05:21 PM
I dont have much knowledge about this but I wouldnt recommed doing it UNLESS the esc says that it can handle brushless and brushed motors, like the Novak Super Sport (http://www.teamnovak.com/products/esc/ssplus/ssplus_esc.htm) .

But hey, it would make a good experiment. :D ;)

JetskiMark
04-01-2005, 12:09 AM
You can only use a brushless ESC with a brushless motor and vice versa. Once you go brushless, you can never go back. Especially when combined with lithium polymer power....totally addictive speed and run time. Plus the motor lasts for a long time and delivers consistent performance, no brushes or commutator to wear. As long as you don't overheat the motor (which weakens the magnets), the only parts that wear are the bearings. And they can last for years.

Regards,
Mark

...What happens if I use a brushless ESC with a brushed motor? Can it be done? Is it worth it? Will the Scorpion mark the end of my brushed days?

RURC
04-01-2005, 01:12 AM
You can only use a brushless ESC with a brushless motor and vice versa. Once you go brushless, you can never go back. Especially when combined with lithium polymer power....totally addictive speed and run time. Plus the motor lasts for a long time and delivers consistent performance, no brushes or commutator to wear. As long as you don't overheat the motor (which weakens the magnets), the only parts that wear are the bearings. And they can last for years.

Regards,
Mark

Mark Mark Mark. WRONG to a point. There are a few brushless controllers out that will do both brushed and BL. One is from LRP and I can't remember the names of the others. But the thing is that for the price of those controllers you can get a good brushed and BL set up. I know that the LRP controller is almost to the $400 mark. That is just the controller. Insane. And as far as the Lipos go My wife runs them in her stock Mini T with no hassels. So for the most part you are correct Mark in that most BL controllers will not run a brushed motor, but some will. I just had to make it condisending. All your other points are right on the money. If anyone has special needs on the motor side I have inlisted the help of a engineer from a manufacturer of brushless motors and we are going to build what will be nessary for the H8 as far as a motor goes. We will be able to do complete custom winds and sizeing. So I have gotton around the possable problem with the pinion sizeing and can sizeing. Now we will be able to get to work when my damn car gets here. Any body want something special???????? :D :D :D

RURC
04-01-2005, 01:15 AM
hm... donno... a brushless motor has 3 wires right?... so that could be a problem...

The 3 windings are like 3 phase electrical current. This is what makes them so smooth and powerful. Look at it as current switching every 1/3 of a revolution. That is very basic as to what is happining but I think it dose express it well. :D

BitHed
04-01-2005, 01:50 AM
...RURC you TEASE ;) May your nipples be ripped off by frenzied postal workers :p

JetskiMark
04-01-2005, 02:00 AM
I stand corrected. All my Castle Creations brushless ESCs can only be used with a BL motor. I had not heard about the LRP Sphere. I guess I have not been reading every possible forum. :rolleyes: That ESC looks interesting. There is a thread about it here:

http://forums.radiocontrolzone.com/showthread.php?t=180915&page=1&pp=25

The Sphere appears to only run brushless motors with a sensor though. (I could be wrong.) I am not interested in the brushed modes.

Regards,
Mark

BitHed
04-01-2005, 02:11 AM
...I am quickly coming to like the LRP range...Its quite the 'boutique' brand here and its MUCH cheaper for me to get one online than in the shops here and even from my supplier...You gotta love paypal for the wonderful fact that you can just launder money :D

...Someone else was talking about the LRP esc somehere too...where was that thread...Time to use the SEARCH function which i HIGHLY recommend we all get in to the habit of doing...

arch2b
04-01-2005, 02:15 AM
......Time to use the SEARCH function which i HIGHLY recommend we all get in to the habit of doing...
you'll find yourself saying this A LOT :p trust me, after 2 plus years on mzr... i wish i had a permanent clipboard to paste generic messages from

RURC
04-01-2005, 02:22 AM
I stand corrected. All my Castle Creations brushless ESCs can only be used with a BL motor. I had not heard about the LRP Sphere. I guess I have not been reading every possible forum. :rolleyes: That ESC looks interesting. There is a thread about it here:

http://forums.radiocontrolzone.com/showthread.php?t=180915&page=1&pp=25

The Sphere appears to only run brushless motors with a sensor though. (I could be wrong.) I am not interested in the brushed modes.

Regards,
Mark

DING DING DING you are correct. Only the verinerable sensored motors. You are also correct in that the CC ones are BL only. But CC dose make brushed controllers also, or did, I think they still do. I am not sure right now but I will be soon. Sensored motors are for those that dont have the tallent to write the software to handle sensorless systems. It is a LAZY way to make them. I got to see one at a get togather of people that I am not allowed to mention where the LRP was being showed. Nice but the LRP is stupid expensive. Not for me. And I like to spend money, right BitHed. :rolleyes:

BitHed
04-01-2005, 02:31 AM
...He does...its true...

...I dont NEED anything that expensive...Its beyond my level...but i DO like good quality, well built, well known stuff...i just buy it at the lower level you know...And I am a sucker for 'plug and play' systems that work...I have enough on my plate keeping YOU guys running than sitting down and fiddling with my gear...switch on and go...Im a supplier not a racer...

RURC
04-01-2005, 02:35 AM
...He does...its true...

...Im a supplier not a racer...

Its ok Bit we will still respect you in the morning.