PDA

View Full Version : TEKIN 1/18 Scorpion Brushless

TEKIN 11
03-29-2005, 11:03 PM
Here's the system you want for going brushless! The NEW TEKIN Scorpion!

April 2005

BitHed
03-29-2005, 11:08 PM
...TEKIN are you the COMPANY Tekin or just a supporter? It will be great if you are the manufacturer ;)

TEKIN 11
03-29-2005, 11:25 PM
Yes, I am with TEAM TEKIN, not just a supporter :) I can answer any questions you may have about our system. We hope to have a Half8 soon, and give feedback on the Scorpion's performance. I am the only person in possesion of these photos. Until today, we have not revealed them to the public.

Rcdriver
03-29-2005, 11:29 PM
I think this System would be a good candidate for the Half 8. Ive read what Tekin and the Prez has said on Yourmicro and I really like this system.

Its just teh bloody release date!!! I HATE THEM!!! :mad: :D

TEKIN 11
03-29-2005, 11:39 PM
Sorry Rcdriver. I know what you feel like. :(

P.S. It's me , Tricky. I wish I could change my name at YM.com :(

BitHed
03-29-2005, 11:52 PM
...COOL :) You gotta love secret-service actions like that :cool: TEKIN are you making a special appearence at the nationals in any way?

...So you reckon your gear will be good in the HalfEight?

TEKIN 11
03-30-2005, 12:18 AM
I'm not sure on how it will perform in the Half8 (predicting great!)....Only time will tell.... :p

Yes, we will have a couple running at the Nationals. RC18T and Mini-T.

BitHed
03-30-2005, 12:48 AM
...TEKIN it sounds great mate...and thanks so much for coming to halfeight.com first with those pics ;) Keep us posted on how it goes in the 8 and all the best at the Nationals...And if you ever need a translator / booth monkey for a show in Japan give me a call :cool:

Icey.Apple
03-30-2005, 03:01 PM
Sweet motors man... I think it will do great in the H8, and line the 1/8th Inferno is the fastes buggy, the H8 is supposed to be that too ;) and a brushless system will take car of that :p

WhoMe
03-30-2005, 03:37 PM
I like the speedo case. Looks solid.

Rcdriver
03-30-2005, 05:51 PM
Here is the link to the Yourmicro.com discussion about the New Tekin System (http://www.yourmicro.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15215) if you want to read more about it. Its a little long. :)

Whoa I just relised the Mini Inferno comes out in 2 Days!!!! :eek: :cool:

chrille
03-30-2005, 07:50 PM
Sorry, but i don`t have the time right now to read all about this great system! But can anyone ho has readed everything tell me, is the motor a 380 size or what? and how much will the speedo handle? I am absolutley gonna buy one if the motor is a 380 and the speedo handles 11.1V! :)

halfEIGHT
03-31-2005, 06:13 PM
Welcome TEKIN/Tricky! :D

RURC
04-09-2005, 06:57 AM
Sorry, but i don`t have the time right now to read all about this great system! But can anyone ho has readed everything tell me, is the motor a 380 size or what? and how much will the speedo handle? I am absolutley gonna buy one if the motor is a 380 and the speedo handles 11.1V! :)

The answer man is here.

The motor is not 380 sized. I am sure that it the same size as the CM-20 from CC. The can looks like a HiMaxx motor but I am not sure yet. Although the thread and some wrightings say it has a higher rateing than the Mamba that is not the case. According to the Teken web site it is the same 25 amps as the Mamba. But I am sure that those numbers are conserative just like the Mamba. I know that a Mamba will handle over 30 continous I have done it. I feel that Tekin will have also have underrated their system also. Yes the system will handle 11.1 volts like the Mamba. I am going to need to get one and do a head to head. Price is expected to be close to $200. If so it would need to be a lot better than the Mamba to justify the very high cost. If it is better I will find out and report it here. Here are the exact words from the Tekin web site:

"It's about time!" That is the response to Tekin's entering the brushless market.
Tekin first brushless system will be for the 1/18th mini scale vehicles. Just remember just because it's small doesn't mean we have to skimp on the good stuff.

Tekin Scorpion brushless system will be available in three different versions.

Performance System
HI-Performance System
Extreme System

Each Scorpion system will consists of a speed controller and a mini brushless motor with hi-performance bearings. As with everything we do at Tekin, we test and re-test to make sure it is right and then we go one step beyond. Some quick features about the Scorpion.

On Board Programming
Full Proportional brakes
Adjustable drag brakes
Reversible with reverse lockout
Handle up to 12 NiCad/ NiMh batteries
2-3 cell Li-Po batteries
Low Voltage cutoff
25 amp continuous
Timing adjustment for the motor
Precision bearings in all of our motors.

hated1racing
04-13-2005, 11:29 PM
who will be distributing them and when? i am interested.....

BitHed
04-14-2005, 12:07 AM
...yeah the more i read the specs on this the more attractive it becomes...This is one of those rare items that I actually will wait for...Bring it on TEKIN!!

GrAfiX
04-14-2005, 09:56 PM
I just got the final Pricing for the Tekin system and put them up for Pre-order over at one18th. Scooter and I talked for a long time this afternoon and are gonna be working with them very closely on the release of this and may be one of the few exclusive shops besides distributers that get these and I'm sure ours will ship before the distributors get them shipped. He projected 4 weeks until release!

http://shop.one18th.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=Tekin

Hope HalfEight doesn't mind, Scooter was really wanting to see how this Preordering goes to see what they can expect on a bigger scale as to which units are gonna sell more in the consumer market. :D

Oh one last thing, Prices are below Retal on these the 6800 and 8000 Retail for $205 so if the Street price does come in way lower other places I will be adjusting the price for anyone who pre-ordered but I doubt it there's not even normal sized markups in these at the prices I have.

BitHed
04-14-2005, 10:07 PM
...Graphx mate you are ging to be SWAMPED...Even PanicToys is getting hits about these units!! Prepare well my son, for the marauding hoardes are getting closer every day :eek: :D

RURC
04-15-2005, 11:46 AM
Oh one last thing, Prices are below Retal on these the 6800 and 8000 Retail for $205 so if the Street price does come in way lower other places I will be adjusting the price for anyone who pre-ordered but I doubt it there's not even normal sized markups in these at the prices I have.

6800 and 8000? Like I said looks, and now sounds and specs like the same motors as the Mamba. All this and what appear to be the clost to the same controller specs. Then add on top of that what sounds like a much higher price and you got a real deal there.

Look I have not had this in my hand so I am not shure of anything but what I read and can deduce from that tells me that This is not going to be any better than the Mamba. I will however hold out final judgement till I have one and can test it side by side and see what is the better unit. But since I am almost 100% shure that there is only 1 company making a 8000 motor that tells ma that the motors are most likely the same one as the Mamba. That will make the differance be the controller and CC has been doing that for a long time. It will be good to see some competation. I wish them the best. I still want to test one and see.

GrAfiX
04-15-2005, 02:06 PM
I'm pretty sure the Motors are the same from Starluck. However this controller is way nicer. You can program it from the LED's on the controller, it has Drag brake, it's actually got a case. So in that aspect it's worth it.

WhoMe
04-15-2005, 02:27 PM
Competition is good. I like the fact that it has a case..however i dont like the color lol. Stupid I know, anyway good luck to Tekin.

BitHed
04-15-2005, 02:56 PM
...it would look seriously swish on an allloy chassis...

RURC
04-15-2005, 07:21 PM
I'm pretty sure the Motors are the same from Starluck. However this controller is way nicer. You can program it from the LED's on the controller, it has Drag brake, it's actually got a case. So in that aspect it's worth it.

Graf man have you used a Mamba? It also has all of the same things that Tekin says theirs dose. Also the Mamba can be even more programmed with the USB system. I did not see that mentioned for the Tekin. For me I could not care less on the case thing. I would just as well save the size. I have several CC controllers in my planes and I can assure you that my Corsair that hit a metal building at about 55 to 60 mph suffered a worse crash than any car wreck I have had. That brushless motor was history as was the servos and the battery pack. Even the reciever did not escape unscathed, it came out of the hard plastic housing (Airtronics). But the controller was completely unharmed and is in the new Corsair that replaced the pile of balsa and fiberglass the was one at one time. While I was learning to fly I had many stupid moments like that. Never harmed a controller. Not one. So the case means nothing to me. So in that aspect it would not be worth it. One other thing, if you start to draw to much current and things get too hot on the controller the heat shrink will realise. This dose 2 things first that is a warning that things are amis and you need to give something some attention. Secondly, if it is opened up it will allow the componants to cool somewhat better than keeping it sealed up. Also is is much easier to seal up for use in a boat or other wet conditions. Or you can just ask CC to seal one up because they make them for boat use also.

I will just compair the function and performance factors. If it dose not out perform it IS NOT WORTH MORE MONEY period. A plastic case dose not make it a better performing part (unless it gives a areodynamic performance enhancement). It is the programming inside that makes the differance. Look I do not work for Castle Creations or make any money from them in any fasit at all. I just enjoy their products and trust them. I trust them from useing their products. I have had Tekin ESC's in the past and and they have not been any better than others I have used (brushed motors). Remember I have been doing this for over 25 years. In that time I have used some great stuff and some real crap. But I choose not to bad mouth the bad stuff because that is easy. I will support and uplift those I belive in. I will however be brutily honist in my evaluation. If they are better I will gladly admit it and tell those at CC why I think it is better and tell you here the same. I do beta testing for some manufactures and they cuntinue to use me because I will tell them exactly what their problem is. I am going to get my hands on a Tekin and work it. But to make a case for it being better just because it has a hard case , to me, is unrealistic.

BitHed Dont use the swish word again. That is scary comming from a man who works at a girls school. :D

WhoMe
04-16-2005, 02:47 AM
Well said RURC..the case thing is a very minor point. I feel that CC has the upper hand here. Price, programmability, and that pretty green motor. Not to mention the Mamba is tried and true and from what I hear Castle Creations takes care of it's customers..Not that Tekin doesnt..but all major point items for the Castle Creations camp.

hated1racing
04-18-2005, 04:41 PM
how does one decide which kv motor to get? i am a brushless newbie and plan on getting one of these tekin systems but, how do i decide. i am leaning towards the 8000kv extreme b/c bigger is better. right? HELP.......

vindictor67
04-19-2005, 01:23 AM
Good question. How are the stock diff cups/diffs holding up to the various kv options? Anyone? :confused:

GrAfiX
04-19-2005, 01:32 AM
Last time I looked the Mamba had no Drag Brake. Nor does it have the simple programing without a Computer when you normally need it.

On a side note I was just running a 400 today and I think I broke a diff cup or something one of the wheels just spins and doesn't even move the diff gears so I'm thinking it's gotta be a broken cup.

Can't imagine what a Brushless is gonna do to the Drive Train.

hated1racing
04-19-2005, 02:29 AM
can noone answer my question posted before? if not let me know and i'll go else where.

WhoMe
04-19-2005, 04:47 AM
The outdrives do look alittle flexy Grafix..maybe that did it.

TEKIN 11
04-25-2005, 12:39 AM
How many companies can say their Brushless system TQ'd at the Mini Nationals in the 2WD class this year? :D ;)