PDA

View Full Version : <<Fullsize servo>>

Thomas P
10-05-2005, 08:56 AM
A friend of mine did this mod, but he has a lot faster servo then mine,(gonna buy a faster soon) Erlier i used HS85.

Now Hitec HS945-MG, a beast servo, not so much faster,but a lot stronger 12kg :D ...

http://galleriet.hobby-site.com/bilder/servomodd1.JPG
http://galleriet.hobby-site.com/bilder/servomodd2.JPG
http://galleriet.hobby-site.com/bilder/servomodd3.JPG
http://galleriet.hobby-site.com/bilder/servomodd4.JPG
http://galleriet.hobby-site.com/bilder/servomodd5.JPG
http://galleriet.hobby-site.com/bilder/servomodd6.JPG

crymynal
10-05-2005, 09:47 AM
Looks fairly good. Can you describe some of the things you did? Pics are ok but some of us need words to;).
Looks like you trimmed the H8 mounts and the servo tabs. Is that true? If so then how is the servo being held in place?

How well does your mod work?

Something to think about is current draw. How much faster will this mod drain the battery?

Thomas P
10-05-2005, 10:12 AM
HEhe, il give it a try(bad enlish)

Remove old servo( yepp thats right ;))
Use a spare Servou mount, ( if you are not happy so you can change back to the old servo)
Dremel al the way to the "pins were you mount screws"
Use the new fullsize servo so you can st that yore not dremlin to much
Dremel@hight just leave a 0.1 mm or more smaller than servo height)so you have a lttle gap from servo mount to chassi
Remove servo tabs( i did cuz i used this servo in my MRX)
It wont move a inch, if you havenot dremel to much on the hight in the mount, when you atached the servo in mount, and screw it in the chassi, pressure vill hold servo in place
Linkage you have to minimize,and maybe dremel at ballend cup.

WeatherB
10-05-2005, 12:21 PM
Looks heavy though... The H8 is already too heavy to begin with.

mrfixitt
10-05-2005, 12:33 PM
I did that last night to mine-I just used a basic servo though-alot lighter
I doubt that a 1/16 will strip plastic gears plus servo saver is set kinda loose, tightened it up a bit too

I just used an Airtronics 94102

plain_simple
10-05-2005, 06:14 PM
well well well it seems to me that the spare servo i had from an old 1/10 nitro car is gona go back to business :D

EphiDelt490
10-05-2005, 10:47 PM
Yaeh man, that looks good!

BitHed
10-05-2005, 11:29 PM
...LOOK OUT BOYS!! HERE COME THE EUROPEANS!! :p Man you guys just think so far out of the box there IS no box...Great work!! I ike it...I look forward to hearing other users comments on this...Thanks for all the pics and words and dont worry about your English Thomas...I am an English teacher in Japan and my kids have TERRIBLE English!!

crymynal
10-06-2005, 06:15 AM
That's not nice Sensei Bit.

Thanks Thomas!! Your English is fine. Especially for people like me and Bit who struggle every day trying to understand Jenglish (Japanese+English).

I may just give this a try. I don't think the weight will be much of a difference (your adding weight to the servo but your taking away weight on the mounting), the performance will be better, but I am worried about the amp draw that will hurt run times.

Thomas P
10-06-2005, 10:25 AM
Thanx for all warm words :D...About the weight, yes itīs a little bit more heavy than a HS85, but it do not effect the speed, or controll of the car.

Next goal is to find a faster servo, this is just little bit faster than HS85-MG, but 4times stronger..and do we need that :D...?

plain_simple
10-06-2005, 02:53 PM
The amp draw shouldnt be that much then on the 85MG servo because we are speaking of a coreless motor servo that runs on 6V like it's lil brother. I'm sure you wont notice it much, and if you're running lipos then almost for sure it will be meaningless.
Chosing between 1 or 2 less runtime minutes and a servo that centers right and has even more torque then you need... those less minutes are really a small price to pay ;)
I will be running my H8 this weekend with that mod and i know exactly my runtime rate was before i changed servos at the 1/18 offroad track i will be testing so i will be able to give you an idea on how many minutes will be lost :)

Pullstarter
12-07-2005, 01:55 AM
me thinks i have the correct servo right here in my hot little hands, futaba 9402, metal gear, 111oz .10sec, now i just need a half8 :D

BitHed
12-07-2005, 01:57 AM
...FINALLY you get her Pulley ;)...and YES your ST is being 'seen to' ;)

Pullstarter
12-07-2005, 02:31 AM
I'm here everybody!! Lock up your daughters!! mmmmmmmmm ST freshness aaaaaarrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhh Dam it! second post and i'm being an idiot already :eek: :D

leapingbug
01-24-2006, 03:29 AM
ok so is it clear that a full size servo with metal gears is over kill :confused:
so what would be the ideal torq rating
and speed you can never have to much
With that said what would be the best digi servo under $50 :rolleyes:

Trickpatrick
01-24-2006, 06:52 AM
I had a fullsize 150.00 $$ KO propo in mine for awhile and yes it was overkill but you turned on the track in real time forsure.

My point is that if you pull out the servo mounting crap and shoe gue it in you can put almost any servo in.

Digital rock's but you really dont need it.

bermbuster
01-25-2006, 01:17 AM
Jeremy Kortz uses a full size servo. He made a plate with tapped (threaded) holes. The plate covered the servo and extended over the 2 long ends. The holes were at the ends that extended.. Then he used long screws through the chassis to secure the servo between the chassis and plate (sandwich effect) looked very professional and his buggy ruled......the ECC.

leapingbug
02-06-2006, 02:23 PM
I have a ko propo pds-2123 (7.2V, torque 131.9oz-in (9.5kg-cm), speed 0.06S @ 60 deg., weight of 1.94oz, metal gears, double ball bearings, gold plated connector,) but How do i get 7.2v to it :D
I know its overkill but if i have i might as well tryin use it

BitHed
02-06-2006, 08:43 PM
...DOOD!!! That is like a monster truck servo!!! I dont know how to answer your question but keep us posted on that one....lol...overkill? Nah...You will just be driving a 4WD servo :D lol...

Hawk
02-06-2006, 08:50 PM
I have a ko propo pds-2123 (7.2V, torque 131.9oz-in (9.5kg-cm), speed 0.06S @ 60 deg., weight of 1.94oz, metal gears, double ball bearings, gold plated connector,) but How do i get 7.2v to it :D
I know its overkill but if i have i might as well tryin use it
Use opto-isolated esc, add a 2cell LiPo just for the servo/receiver. 7.2v, plenty of amps and lasts forever. I use a 2cell lipo in my MP777 for receiver bat. 1200mah is very small and it stays at 7.2v for a long time.
To isolate the receiver from the esc, don't turn on the switch on the esc, put the batt. to a switch that plugs into the receiver (3rd ch). Ta Da!
All the switch on the esc does is control the bec to provide voltage to the receiver (and then the servo).

Bit, Those specs are in line with the hot digital servos used for Steering in 1/8 nitro buggys. They draw big amps too.

BitHed
02-06-2006, 09:13 PM
...Sounds HUMOUNGOUS!!! And the ONLY reason I made THIS post is so that I could use HUMOUNGOUS because HUMOUNGOUS isnt one of those words that you can often use properly :o

...Maybe we SHOULD make a H8 around a 550 motor, a monster servo and a IB 4200 battery :D

Hawk
02-06-2006, 09:41 PM
...Sounds HUMOUNGOUS!!! And the ONLY reason I made THIS post is so that I could use HUMOUNGOUS because HUMOUNGOUS isnt one of those words that you can often use properly :o

...Maybe we SHOULD make a H8 around a 550 motor, a monster servo and a IB 4200 battery :D

Bit, it is even bigger than that, it is Ginormuous!

Why not a kickstart shovel head 74.cu in. harley motor punched out to 100inches, no baffle shotgun headers and a 6speed baker right side drive with 250mm rear tire. Dual disk brakes, Brembo of course. :D

leapingbug
02-07-2006, 12:50 AM
well i will try it out i know its big its a full size servo but not bigger then the normal ones. Im thinking i switch around the diff to relocate the motor and mount to servo and batt on the other side and it would be rather even.
(Ill try it out as long as i dont hafta do any permanint adjustments to the esc and ill post it)Ill be getting the futaba digi servo as well just incase ya know :D

leapingbug
02-07-2006, 12:57 AM
Use opto-isolated esc, add a 2cell LiPo just for the servo/receiver. 7.2v, plenty of amps and lasts forever. I use a 2cell lipo in my MP777 for receiver bat. 1200mah is very small and it stays at 7.2v for a long time.
To isolate the receiver from the esc, don't turn on the switch on the esc, put the batt. to a switch that plugs into the receiver (3rd ch). Ta Da!
All the switch on the esc does is control the bec to provide voltage to the receiver (and then the servo).

Bit, Those specs are in line with the hot digital servos used for Steering in 1/8 nitro buggys. They draw big amps too.

What is opto-isolated esc :confused:

Hawk
02-07-2006, 12:59 AM
Bugster, It sounds kewl. If you have something you want to do go for it. Bity and I are just having some fun with each other. You are not the only one to want a full size servo. Give it a shot and let us know what happens.

I like the way so many people have so many ways of doing things and it all comes out on this board. Nobody has the best way, only their way. Enjoy.

bermbuster
02-07-2006, 02:28 AM
I like the way so many people have so many ways of doing things and it all comes out on this board. Nobody has the best way, only their way. Enjoy.

Very true....I also noticed 3 sides to every story....your side.....my side....and the truth..... :D

The guys who post here are the best........

Bill Killillay
03-27-2006, 11:25 PM
Anybody try one of these (http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXH291&P=ML)?

SPECS:
Speed: 0.25 sec/60 deg @ 4.8V - .20 sec/60 deg @ 6V
Torque:
51 oz-in @ 4.8V - 64 oz-in @ 6V
3.7 kg-cm @ 4.8V - 4.6 kg-cm @ 6V
Length: 1.1" (28mm)
Width: 0.5" (13mm)
Height: 1.2" (30mm)
Weight: 0.7 oz (21g)

Seems like it would be plenty strong, and fast, and not so heavy...

BK

Pullstarter
03-27-2006, 11:40 PM
yes i use one in my rc18t, its immenseley strong, very accurate and has huge amounts of torque, no centring problems with these at all. Only drawback is its speed but if you're ike me it doesnt matter that much.

jjonas
04-14-2006, 11:48 AM
can i put in my s3003 servo in it?? how should i do???

benz19
04-14-2006, 11:54 AM
Ive just put a Futaba 9252 digital servo in my Pitbull ST,awsumepower steering now!!!

Benz

Roost It
07-17-2006, 07:47 PM
ive just put the hotbodies servo (full size) reciever and esc from my minizilla in mine and the servo only needs one screw to fix the servo in. NOW it steers. :D

porkchop2
07-24-2006, 09:02 PM
hey guys just get the jr it works good and they have som that are fast way to fast.

H8er
12-31-2006, 01:02 AM
Well, I got an Xray M18T for Christmas that is keeping me occupied, but this thread makes me want to dig up my S3003 and buy a slipper gear and diff along with some connectors, screws, and shoe goo, just so I can be the only dude with a mini with a full sized servo at my track. Of course, I'd need a new ESC, receiver, and servo horn as well... Gosh, it's so tempting, but the M18T is keeping my wallet occupied as well (need a FM radio, so I can get a tinier receiver). Decisions, decisions.