PDA

View Full Version : help choosing elec. set up

flipside7
10-02-2005, 06:24 PM
thanks for looking, i was wondering, could someone help me choose good electronics, at a good price(if there is such a thing). what i was looking to do is get a novak xxl rec., because it will still operate w stock tx(hopefully saving some dough). i wasn't sure of the esc, or the servo. and i want to purchase an aon motor(later, but not too much later)

1.can anyone recommend a good bargain esc that will handle the aon 4900
2.can anyone recommend a good servo at good price
3.is the novak xxl and stock tx the way to go here, or is it not up to par?

BLACKHAWK444
10-02-2005, 07:14 PM
I have only heard of people using the mamba 25 esc for the aon 4900. For a servo you should get an HS-85MG. Best servo for the money. You can use the stock radio, but I would advise getting a better radio.

flipside7
10-02-2005, 07:35 PM
thanks for the info, is there a decent radio, that is bundled with a decent mini servo that will fit the bill??

JuJuB
10-02-2005, 08:07 PM
I don't know of any combo's like that, the Hitec Agressor is good. You can get it AM or FM.

46u
10-02-2005, 11:25 PM
What TX’s work with the stock eclectics? I have a Futaba PL2 and it works fine with my Kyosho Mini-Z’s but does not work properly with my Half 8. :(

BitHed
10-02-2005, 11:29 PM
...i am with BlackHawk on his recommendations...KYOSHO here in Japan is pushing the NOVAK set-up, particularly their esc / RX combo unit...but that no good if you go brushless...

...Funny that your FUTABA wont work...Personally i use KO which is essentially KYOSHO anyway...Others SHOULD work though...

46u
10-02-2005, 11:51 PM
Not all radios are compatible with each other. I know Futaba and Airtronics will not work to getter even if they are both AM on the same megahertz. I know this from experience. I thought for sure my Futaba PL2 would have worked with my Half 8 because it works fine with my Mini-Z’s. I even tried the crystals that came with my Half 8. It some what works but when I turn the wheels to the left then motor runs. If I remember correctly that is the only problem I have. Might check it out again later.

Inferno454
10-03-2005, 04:11 AM
Did u plug in your servos wrong? u may have to plug them in differently.

46u
10-03-2005, 04:42 AM
Did u plug in your servos wrong? u may have to plug them in differently.

It is just like it came from the factory and the way the plug is made it would be hard to plug it in wrong.

RURC
10-03-2005, 05:16 AM
Right now I would only reccomend the castle creations speed control. It is small and rugged and very programmable. Yes the Aon motor kicks. As far as the receiver (my first reccomendation is always Multiplex it dose not get better) but on a budget just make sure that you match the shift (+ or-). The Berg recievers are auto sensing for this so look at them (castlecreations.com). The servo I see a lot of is the Hi Tec 85MG. good solid and cheap.

Nothing will work with the stock servo. It must be replaced if you do anything.

Hope this helps

Inferno454
10-04-2005, 01:38 AM
Id go
BL set up-
Mamba 25 ESC
Hs 85 mg servo
aon 4900
8cell united racing packs or lipos

Brushed
Hs85 mg
8cell united racing packs or lipos
Futaba Mc230CR
Rocket 400

flipside7
10-04-2005, 05:16 AM
^sounds good^, does a half eight run well brushed??? seems if it ran well brushed, there'd be no market here for brushless(except over killers!)

well if there is a cheaper way, id like to pursue it.

i just wonder, would it be effective to invest 50+ for esc, 100+ for tx, 50+ for motor, another chunk on rx, and then still not have all the necessities to be a well rounded buggy.- 60 for the three diffs, 30 for cells, etc,etc,etc,etc.

oh yeah, and etc.

so brushed seems to take off the edge, but it would only hurt more to be dissatisfied with the results.

hmmmmmmmmm.

snoopyspaz
10-18-2005, 07:33 PM
Not to hitch hike, I was wondering if any one has a good ieda of how to mount the hs-85mg in thier half8. Been searching the forum for more info but can't seem to pin it down (lots of good info though :) ). Any pics or how to's or anything would be greatly appreciated. Thnks.

Peter

smellslikenitro
10-18-2005, 07:57 PM
Hi Guys
Didn´t anybody tried a Multiplex Polo Digi 4 servo? I cant imagine that the Hitec servo could be better. The MPX Polo is about 35 Euros here in Germany and it seens to be fast and strong too. Personally I wouldn´t go for an analog servo, I got a better feeling about digital...
I will buy one so I´ll post about it.

mat3833
10-18-2005, 08:34 PM
can i get a link to the multiplex receiver? thanks

Matt

BitHed
10-18-2005, 11:27 PM
Not to hitch hike, I was wondering if any one has a good ieda of how to mount the hs-85mg in thier half8. Been searching the forum for more info but can't seem to pin it down (lots of good info though :) ). Any pics or how to's or anything would be greatly appreciated. Thnks.

Peter

...You mean to do this WITHOUT the KYOSHO HITEC mount? There IS one available in the bulkhead set...The item number escapes me...You could also servo tape it...not so strong, or use the OVER bracket ala 18T, i know there are SOME third-party units in alloy, OR you could do what Regan LeBlanc did and mount it 1:10 style but that would require new holes in your chassis...Check BlackHawk's gallery for spy shots ;)

snoopyspaz
10-19-2005, 06:09 AM
Oh, didn't know there was a hitec mount available, going to have to find that, thanks for the heads up, i feel silly!!

Peter

snoopyspaz
10-20-2005, 07:06 PM
ordered the bulkhead set, hopefully that will work out. We'll see, last but not least is a new batt pack, then I'm good to go!!

Peter

DRKSYDE
10-29-2005, 01:41 PM
hopefully somebody here can help me. i'm in the process of changing out the electronics in my half-8.what speed controllers are you using for a non-brushless setup?i've seen some cars with a futaba mc230, but these are only rated for 7 cell use.any suggestions are appreciated.

snoopyspaz
11-04-2005, 05:10 PM
hopefully somebody here can help me. i'm in the process of changing out the electronics in my half-8.what speed controllers are you using for a non-brushless setup?i've seen some cars with a futaba mc230, but these are only rated for 7 cell use.any suggestions are appreciated.

non-brushless = brushed ;)

I currently am running an hs-85mg servo, rc18t am radio, and a gm v6r esc. It is an awesome setup and I love the breaking of the v6r. The mc230cr would also be an awesome way to go as it should be able to handle just about any motor you throw at it (20 turn limit). Not too sure on the cell rating but I thought it could handle an 8-cell pack, could be wrong. I find it hard to believe that the stock esc can handle 8 cells but the mc230cr can't? Just went to futuba's site:

http://www.futaba-rc.com/radioaccys/futm0922.html

I guess it's not supposed to handle more than 7 "ni-cd" cells. Interesting...I guess it's just time to look for another 1/10 scale esc to work for 8 cells then...

Peter

Trickpatrick
11-18-2005, 06:57 AM

Peter

Shoe Goo it in, it works perfect and you can place where you want.
On larger scale I would not recomend but is solid for The half 8.

Trick

Hawk
11-18-2005, 04:37 PM

Peter

If you want to change the location of the servo and have a little flexibility you could try these:
http://www.servocity.com/html/servo_mounts.html :cool:

BitHed
11-22-2005, 03:17 AM
Shoe Goo it in, it works perfect and you can place where you want.
On larger scale I would not recomend but is solid for The half 8.

Trick

...I know this is awidely used process but i question shoegoo on carbon...it doesnt rip it apart or cause delamination? If its THAT good i will try it but i would prefer to shoe goo the servo to a plate and then bolt the plate to the carbon...I would hate to harm a perfectly sexy carbon chassis...