10-01-2005, 06:00 PM
New design carbon chassie for Kyosho half eight

Inferno454
10-01-2005, 06:47 PM
THe battery clip poles are... different

hkopium
10-01-2005, 07:41 PM
THe battery clip poles are... different

I think he home-made this carbon chassie with 3rd party poles.

The carbon chassis looks a bit wider than stock size and quite thin.

TO Randelstevens: I think you better add a piece of thin aluminum metal plate underneath the carbon chassis to strengthen it.

EphiDelt490
10-01-2005, 10:53 PM
Lol, those are body posts off a touring car.

46u
10-01-2005, 11:42 PM
Is it me or does the edges look a little raged? :cool:

RURC
10-03-2005, 04:53 AM
First of all, all one offs or prototypes generally look unfinished. Since I am in the prototype and one off business I see no real problems. Dose it need to be fined tuned, of course. Is this ready for the production line, not yet. But it is a fantastic step in the correct direction. This damn car needs every gram removed. It is heavy, waaaaayyyyyyy heavy out of the box. This weight shows itself every time someone runs one for the first time and says "how slow and crappy this car is". :(

As far as the posts being used from another car...... :confused: who cares? Damn before you could get the oil shocks for this thing (and the mini t for that matter) I was useing yokomo shocks from a touring 1/10 car. They fit and were great and on the mini t I still use them. They are better that all the others out there ( yes I have used them).

46u How many times have you worked with carbon? Depending on the resin mix and weather you are useing prepreg or moped, room temp or oven cured or autoclave cured, all these can give you a product that can be very difficult to cleanly cut with out a water knife. I have thrown away more carbon just today then most people will even see in years.

This is most obvously a one off or prototype. Who ever has done this has done a very good job. Carbon is a pain in the butt to deal with. I cannot see what has been done for the vertical part of the backbine chassis, but, the rest looks like a thoughtful, proper attempt to fix the biggest problem this car has.

RANDELSTEVENS my hats off to you for your inginunity and hard work if you made this. I offer my companies help to you (free of charge) to overview and help you in developement of this. I would like to see some formed ribs and slight duck tail on the sides but this is a great start. :D

46u
10-03-2005, 05:08 AM
I just made a comment on what I observed and I am sorry it up set you. Take a chill pill it will be OK!

RURC
10-03-2005, 05:26 AM
46u
Sorry to have only called you out. Your handle just stuck in my head. Did not really upset me. It was just I see a guy that is doing something that really need to be done and I am sad that I do not have the time to do it all myself. But I see no one giving him the pat on the back he deserves for tackeling this. Everyone just puts him down for the roughness of it. I did not mean to single you out and is the long run we will all come out ahead on this.

46u
10-03-2005, 05:39 AM
It all so helps when some one starts a thread like this to give a bit more information. I really like carbon fiber and I do wish him all the best. Yes I think he is headed in the right direction and hope he keeps us posted. Keep in mind this is a decision form and not all opinions are going to be positive. You know what the say about opinions?

RURC
10-03-2005, 08:07 AM
It all so helps when some one starts a thread like this to give a bit more information. I really like carbon fiber and I do wish him all the best. Yes I think he is headed in the right direction and hope he keeps us posted. Keep in mind this is a decision form and not all opinions are going to be positive. You know what the say about opinions?

Yes it is, opinions. I work with people daily that take the imagined (and frequently the unimagineable) and turn their thoughts into reality. I see this as a diamond in the coal. With the proper cuts and faciting it will shine. The comment from hkopium "I think you better add a piece of thin aluminum metal plate underneath the carbon chassis to strengthen it." This shows me that he has no idea of the strengths of carbon let alone the immense strengths of a backboned monoque chassis. Critisizm is great but understand the subject. I dont play doctor even when I stay in a holiday inn express.

BitHed
10-03-2005, 08:30 AM
...As much as I enjoy Randel's stuff and the obvious spicy discussion that ensues, this chassis is 'just' another rendition of a theme...And by that i mean its a carbon chassis...Its not a first...The german-produced carbon chassis is gorgeous and FrostyGT has it set up nicely... READ ABOUT IT HERE (http://halfeight.com/forums/showthread.php?t=768&highlight=german) ...But i love it when someone has the balls to do something new...I am actually looking forward to the road ahead for Randel beacuse he thinks very much outside the box...

...Sure its rough...Of course its rough...Thats why its a prototype...And we all have opinions which may be right or wrong...But getting hot and bothered about them in here is about as useful as a jelly nailed to the ceiling...

...BTW i think Opium mentioned the alloy piece because of the THIN carbon that Randel used...And if the 'final' product was THAT thin I would have to agree with him...

...BTW RURC if you need to throw away some of your carbon scraps send them to me mate ;) I am building a life size carbon replica of the DeathStar in my garden and the budget is a little tight ;)