PDA

View Full Version : MP 7.5 or .........

Crunch
05-29-2005, 03:48 AM
Benn thinking of getting back in the 1:8 buggy scene, I might trade my REVO or not....still deciding.

Just wanted to see what all you 1:8 people think about the 7.5 compared to other buggies (X1-CR, Swift, Hyper...etc etc).

I saw the X1-CR RTR set and was pretty happy about the pricing as it's very close to the 7.5 and the X1-CR has been the talk of town lately.

What are your inputs? :p

Vad
05-30-2005, 12:13 AM
All the cars listed are great, if you can drive you will do great with all. 7.5 is a bit old the new car is called the 777. If you want the ultimate in 1/8 scale go with the new 777 sp2.

Crunch
05-30-2005, 03:02 PM
Ya...that's the thing, all the entry level buggies cost about the same more or less. The 7.5 has been out for a while....but parts support is amazing here in HK. Almost every single shop has some in stock.

The X1-CR has been the talk of the town, but I'm worried that it might fade out very soon and no one will stock parts anymore.

Of course...if I win the Lotto....777 SP2 here I come (that plus a few 1:1 scale cars)!!

navydochalf8
05-30-2005, 04:03 PM
if yo look at ebay they are selling the hyper 7 pcr version for 329 and that is in hk. also the pbs is a great version for like 309 i believe. check them out man i have a pbs and i whoop the kyosho buggies at the track with the exception of the 777, they hndle really well. plus the guys driving those expensive cars have been racing for yrs. well just $0.02.

Crunch
05-30-2005, 04:23 PM
Hey buddy!! Thanks for your reply. Funny thing was that I was browsing thenet all night long and have been studying the Hyper 7 as well. I'll run to the LHS to check it out this weekend.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=49215&item=5978698240&rd=1

Also....I know PCR = Pro Competition Racing....

What about PBS?? I remember it's the initials of a racer/driver??? Can't remember. What's the difference between the PBS edition and the regular version?

Cheers~

JonteJsson
05-30-2005, 04:26 PM
PCR=Paul Coleman Racing
PBS=Pivot Ball Suspension

navydochalf8
05-30-2005, 04:57 PM
hey there crunch the pcr is a little step up form the pbs. a jonte stated the pbs pivot ball suspension version is great but alot of guys prefer the c-hub style which is on the car you are looking at. also the pcr version doesn't come w/ radio gear. so imo the pbs with a c-hub may be the cheaper route to go, unless you plan on putting a futuba or jr radio set up in there then your into some dough spending. so go with the pcr if $ is no issue, if it is go get a pbs then buy the c-hub conversion on ebay for cheap.

hope this helps
andy

Crunch
05-30-2005, 11:56 PM
PCR=Paul Coleman Racing
PBS=Pivot Ball Suspension

:cool: I feel pretty retarded now.....LOL...

Anyways, thanks for all the info.! I'll be checking them out at the LHS this weekend.

:D

Hawk
05-31-2005, 03:25 AM
Crunch,
It depends on your aims with the buggy. Do you want to bash and flip and crash or do you plan on racing? If you are racing then do you want to win or just run with the guys and bash a little on the side?
If you want to bash, get the either one. Get just about any of the RTR kits out there, and have fun. If you want to race a little and run at the back of the pack, get either the MP7.5 RTR or the Jammin' or the Hyper 7 PCR. All of these will last about as long as the other and the parts are available through many online outlets if it is not at your local hobby shop.

If you want to race and possibly win, don't get a rtr. Buy a kit (MP777 SP1, MBX5 or Jammin') and a top of the line radio, servos, engine and put it together. Find out what the winners are running for tires on the local track and use those. In fact, go to the track where you expect to run and watch the races a couple of times, ask questions about what is running and winning on that track. Most racers are very willing to talk. Many will offer suggestions. Don't expect this to be cheap. This is a serious commitment to time and money, if you want to be in the A main or even make the podium.

Even if you are going to bash at some construction site with friends, find out what they run. That way, you all can share parts and experience. Over time you can make up your own mind.

BitHed
05-31-2005, 03:47 AM
...I bet Crunch is packing up his Revo already ;) Good luck Crunchy...I have you covered at this end for stuff you need ;) I never liked you with the Revo anyway...You are MUCH more a buggy kind of guy ;)

...Hawk and Jonte...great posts fellas...This thread feels, 'nice'...Keep it up...

Hawk
05-31-2005, 04:07 AM
:( I just need a place to vent. Saturday went to the local club for some racing. Nice day, nice turn out. I was having trouble with the Spectrum DSM system in our MP777SP1. It ran fine during practice and I thought we were dialed. My son does the driving and I tune and setup and write the checks. Qualifiers started and the darn thing stopped half way down the straight, engine running and the brakes on. It sat for a couple of seconds then took off again. It was like a low battery was causing a failsafe, it is supposed to act like that when the voltage gets below a certain point. I had my son finish one lap so we would qualify for some race and pulled it off the track.
The battery was o.k., I replaced it anyway. I replace the connector as I use a servo extension wire that runs out of the battery box and I plug the battery into the female end instead of a switch.
Next qualifier, same thing. I finally pulled the dsm system and replaced the HRS receiver and Module on my 3PK radio. We were back to crystals. Next qualifier, half way down the straight after five laps the engine dies. In my rush to put the receiver, antennae and replug the servos, battery and transponder I knocked the air filter off. The Andy Brown modified OS Vspec, that was a real screamer, was full of dust, dirt and sand. Trashed a $500 dollar motor.
I pulled it apart and though it is salvageable, I could buy a new stock Vspec for the money to restore it. Not sure what I will do. :eek:
Very bad day but all was not lost. My son was able to use the backup Vspec and qualify for the Amain and won in the last three seconds of the race. The last three laps were back and forth between the two cars. I even had to change a tire half way through the race. What a day! ;)

TNB
05-31-2005, 04:12 AM
Benn thinking of getting back in the 1:8 buggy scene, I might trade my REVO or not....still deciding.
Revo or buggy? Not much of a choice to some people. :D

http://www2.mini-zracer.com/albums/album677/SSR_19red.jpg

Then others may go "truggy".

TNB
05-31-2005, 04:14 AM
I even had to change a tire half way through the race. What a day! ;)
Have you checked into the "quick change"--home made or otherwise.

Crunch
05-31-2005, 07:26 AM
Thanks for the info guys!!!

I like the REVO, but you;re right Bithed, I realized I'm more of a buggy dude.

I don't bash......just like my 1:18 cars, I just have fun with them on the streets and the tracks. Don't plan on doing crazy jumps and flips, just not my type of fun.

:D

BitHed
05-31-2005, 07:40 AM
...not jacking the thread or anything but my summer project is a 1:10 TAMIYA Rising Storm with HPI MT rims and PROLINE tires...As truggy as i can get it ;)

Crunch
05-31-2005, 08:59 AM
The DF-02 is a pretty cool buggy, my RC buddies actually race them here locally.

:p

navydochalf8
05-31-2005, 06:19 PM
crunchy my man i think you need either a pcr or pbs hyper 7. these thing have the balls because of the hyper 21 8 port, and they can take the abuse, if ya feel tempted to bash. here are a few pics http://levitationmedia.com/v-web/gallery/albums/album02/3_1.sized.jpg
http://levitationmedia.com/v-web/gallery/albums/album02/3_2.sized.jpg
http://levitationmedia.com/v-web/gallery/albums/album02/3_3.sized.jpg

navydochalf8
05-31-2005, 06:20 PM
here r some more for ya

http://levitationmedia.com/v-web/gallery/albums/album02/3_4.sized.jpg
and here is a close up for you to drool over. my wifey painted the body for me.
http://levitationmedia.com/v-web/gallery/albums/album02/3_5.sized.jpg

Crunch
06-02-2005, 06:46 AM
You got me drooling there alright..... :p

Guess I've pretty much narrowed down to the Hyper 7 PCR/PRO/PBS or the Jammin X1-CR.

Woot!! :D

navydochalf8
06-02-2005, 10:14 PM
glad to help. this a great buggy i bashed the ish out of it yesterday in the misting rain we had for atleast 10 min ran the tank down and the thing was hungry for more. the temps where 235 after all that drifting and spinning out. it has a low maintenece plan and is very easy to keep up. all i have done is 645 hitecservo a jp-2 pipe and hpi engine saver filter, sway bars, and different sets of tires to switch.

andy

fuzzhead
07-25-2005, 06:10 AM
what is ur guys' opinion on converting these to electric?

Hawk
07-25-2005, 03:55 PM
I looked into putting a brushless system with LiPo power. I look at it from a racing perspective but, the motor is there. What I settled on was Hacker C50XL12. This puts out major horse power and could be adpted to the buggy sitting in the same position as the nitro motor it replaces. The ESC would have to be one of the new Sky&Technology 120amp units. That is 120 amps continuous and very programmable. The lipos would be somewhat problematic because the size and voltage required to be competative would only allow less than 10 minute run times. To make this combo work would require a 8 cells of 6000mah or so.
Now the bad news, all this stuff is way pricey. The motor around $375-450. The esc I haven't seen a price on yet but at least $250. The battery is custom build and another $400 minimum for that.
I know you could do it cheaper for bashing and playing in the yard. But not much. In the long run this should get better over time as lipo bats. get into the mainstream and the availability goes up. Who knows, in two years the gas nationals may be replaced with the lipo nationals. :cool: