PDA

View Full Version : Atomic Alum Ball Diffs

mdntblu
09-02-2005, 03:24 AM
I have a Mamba 8000kv in my Half 8 and I keep stripping the diffs out. I glued the center diff so i would have better traction but now the rear diff stripped. Do you know if the Atomic Alum ball diffs are good or are there metal diffs to use for the Half 8?

I'm not even quite sure if I understand how those ones work. They look different then a standard diff.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Brad

BitHed
09-02-2005, 03:39 AM
...mdtnblu...welcome to the boards...There are no metal gears yet but GPM has them on the drawing boards...Right now many of us are wating for Ascubie; our resident guinea-pig, to get his ATOMIC diffs and do them damage and then report back...3RACING was the first to POST diffs but ATOMIC was first to market...

...ona sidenote the GPM gear boxes, ALL of them...are seemingly pigs to put together because of the abscence of their hadware...A slight oversight by the boys @ GPM...

...The front and rear ATOMIC diffs look good ( apart from they are blue :mad: ) but you are right about the center looking 'strange'...Ascubie will reveal all in his 24-episode report :D

acsubie
09-02-2005, 04:26 AM
just got them today BIT..finally got rid of the strange slipping from the center diff(not the slipper)..finally got some adjustablity...BUT there are a few things i dont like, but i'll lay down the GOOD first

GOOD
1. Atomic actually made a real ball diff similiar to the bigger more expensive ones..i know all ball diffs have thrust balls behind the adjustment screw, not only does Atomic have those but also there is a bearing INSIDE the diff to help with more adjustablitly-big plus
2. no more unwanted slipping from the center, lil premature to totally approve of them but at least my H8 is more driveable now..time will tell how these suckers hold up though
3. front and rear diff adjustability is pretty good but a lil tricky to master since you gotta account for the center diff also :o
BAD
1. the diff bearings(stock ones that sit behind the outdrive cups) actually fit a lil loose on the outdrive plate, producing a lil wiggle effect once in the diff housing, they dont fit as snug as i'd like them BUT im sure i can just wrap something around the outdrive plate to let the bearing fit more "snug"
2. the actual ball diff gear wiggles in place, even with the adjustment totally tight the gear has some side to side play, nothing a few shims cant fix, i suspect the diffs balls are a lil to small
3. the center ball diff- the diffs gear mesh with the slipper gear is a lil tight, ive tried not tightning the center housing to much and the mesh gets better BUT still tight

well there you go BIT..next time you are the guineau ;)

but overall im happy, just wish they were a lil cheaper

stay tuned for more reporting after 8 cells and the LIPO pack

BitHed
09-02-2005, 04:29 AM
...sounds good buddy...thanks for the quick version...fill us in again when you have a few more packs under your belt...I might just grab a set though....finger is hovering over that BUY NOW button :eek:

acsubie
09-02-2005, 04:32 AM
...sounds good buddy...thanks for the quick version...fill us in again when you have a few more packs under your belt...I might just grab a set though....finger is hovering over that BUY NOW button :eek:

DO IT!!! :D ...once the ST sealed diffs are released ill be sure to check thos bad boys out also, might actually be easier to adjust them by diff oil weights then using ball diffs

R32dude
09-02-2005, 05:46 AM
Ascubie- you just answered my question and made me totally stoked all in one!!! Ever since the Half-8 came out I wanted sealed gear diifs to tune with oil like a real 8th scale! I've been waiting forever for 3Racing to release there ball diffs but now I may just go with the sealed diffs. Actually that depends on the report card for the 3Racing ones, if they ever come out, AND whether or not they ST ones fit in the buggy-also I would have to have metal gears. Ahhhh, I guess patience is a virtue!!!! :D

BitHed
09-02-2005, 06:46 AM
...R32 you and I are in the same boat (buggy? :D) Go the ball diffs or wait for the ST's or do both or whatever?! lol...its confusing...I will wait for a little more Ascub-ism...60 bucks for 3 diffs is what made PanicToys broke in the first place...For my own selfish reasons it makes much more sense (cents?) to take that 60 USD and recycle it back into ST parts for my conversion kits..Here I am spouting business practices again which is TOTALLY off-topic but i guess what i mean is we all have different things we regard as important in our hobbies...but DAMN i want those diffs :o

quietfly
09-02-2005, 09:41 PM
ACsubie, do you have pictures of your setup? also are you running all three diffs or just the upgraded center.

Inferno454
09-02-2005, 10:14 PM
How much do theses help handling Acsubie?

BitHed
09-05-2005, 03:43 AM
...Ascubie..just had a thought...might not that tight slipper connection be freed up with a dedicated ATOMIC driveline? ie...spend even MORE money and grab the ATOMIC gear box :eek: MUWAHAHAA...

ffactory666
09-05-2005, 09:02 AM
...R32 you and I are in the same boat (buggy? :D) Go the ball diffs or wait for the ST's or do both or whatever?! lol...its confusing...I will wait for a little more Ascub-ism...60 bucks for 3 diffs is what made PanicToys broke in the first place...For my own selfish reasons it makes much more sense (cents?) to take that 60 USD and recycle it back into ST parts for my conversion kits..Here I am spouting business practices again which is TOTALLY off-topic but i guess what i mean is we all have different things we regard as important in our hobbies...but DAMN i want those diffs :o

Instead of spending $60 on all three diffs i think a good idea would be to just get the centre ball diff .At least you wont have the centre slipping anymore and then wait and put the ST diffs in the F/R when thay come out.

BitHed
09-05-2005, 09:12 AM
...Factory I gave in...got the 3 ATOMIC diffs...but also got the 3RACING titty outdrives to transplant into the St when it arrives...So i am pretty much covered...Yes they are expensive, especially when you get all 3 at once, but i talked myself into it...I am SO weak-willed like that ;) But as you suggest YES I can pretty much mix and match now once the ST comes in...

acsubie
09-05-2005, 10:33 PM
...Factory I gave in...got the 3 ATOMIC diffs...but also got the 3RACING titty outdrives to transplant into the St when it arrives...So i am pretty much covered...Yes they are expensive, especially when you get all 3 at once, but i talked myself into it...I am SO weak-willed like that ;) But as you suggest YES I can pretty much mix and match now once the ST comes in...

yea Bit i might eventually get the Atomic gear box, BUT lemme tell you the 3racing tiity outdrive cups SUCK, just about all of mine are already notched :cool: , and they were semi like that even with the stock diffs

BitHed
09-05-2005, 11:17 PM
...well too late now because everything is on its way :D No problems...Its all good...So when are you going to fill us in on those ball diffs brotha? BTW your rims there yet?

mdntblu
09-06-2005, 12:15 AM
is there anywhere to buy these diffs in the US?

hated1racing
09-08-2005, 02:46 PM
DO IT!!! :D ...once the ST sealed diffs are released ill be sure to check thos bad boys out also, might actually be easier to adjust them by diff oil weights then using ball diffs

what are these st sealed diffs?(i know what sealed diffs are, i race 8th scale from time to time) who is making them and when should they be released?

akura2
09-08-2005, 09:58 PM
what are these st sealed diffs?(i know what sealed diffs are, i race 8th scale from time to time) who is making them and when should they be released?

the new Half-Eight Stadium Truck has sealable diffs... from Kyosho

those are the ones everyone is talking about

BitHed
09-08-2005, 11:55 PM
...ETA November...They SHOULD be on show at the TOKYO show on September 23-24 but as usual I have work that i cant get out of...happened last year too...Brings tears to my eyes..Got one of the local boys going though and he knows what i want ;) So we should have some more information around the start of October...

akura2
09-10-2005, 04:04 AM
there's a HUGE Hobby show coming to LA in October... it might be there too

the iHobby show

BitHed
09-10-2005, 04:14 AM
...it SHOULD be ...its here on the 23rd of September at our show..makes sense to show it over there too..Maybe PanicToys should get a booth too ;) Akura come and wear a mini skirt at my booth? lol..

plain_simple
09-13-2005, 03:40 PM
Akura wears the skirt and I'll cover the event for you if you want Bit... lmaooo
Wont charge you no cachet.. no nothing... just in and out plane tickets over the Atlantic and lodging will do!
You will get free full coverage with pro photo-journalist digital photos and written story and, of course, there will be special highlights on the Panic booth and all the bells and whistles.. Interested Bit?! :D :D :D

akura2
09-13-2005, 08:58 PM
um...skirt?

well as long as I can wear stockings.... I'm NOT shaving my legs!

maxxenitout
09-14-2005, 12:31 AM
is there anywhere to buy these diffs in the US?
Haven't seen those listed anywhere in the U.S.

there's a HUGE Hobby show coming to LA in October... it might be there too

the iHobby show

um...skirt?

well as long as I can wear stockings.... I'm NOT shaving my legs!

I was thinking about going, but I'm not sure anymore ;) .

plain_simple
09-14-2005, 02:24 PM
eheheheheheh, that could be an awesome story... Akura will surely get a lot of nice cuties around the booth showing up his mmmm let's say... not covered by stocking leg's areas each time that skirt goes up lmaooooo :D :D

akura2
09-14-2005, 05:46 PM
anyway.... LOL

I'm going that Saturday and Sunday (well if I can get out of work on Saturday) It's right down the street from me... literally 6 blocks away

Smoothound
09-28-2005, 12:09 PM
BAD
1. the diff bearings(stock ones that sit behind the outdrive cups) actually fit a lil loose on the outdrive plate, producing a lil wiggle effect once in the diff housing, they dont fit as snug as i'd like them BUT im sure i can just wrap something around the outdrive plate to let the bearing fit more "snug"
2. the actual ball diff gear wiggles in place, even with the adjustment totally tight the gear has some side to side play, nothing a few shims cant fix, i suspect the diffs balls are a lil to small
3. the center ball diff- the diffs gear mesh with the slipper gear is a lil tight, ive tried not tightning the center housing to much and the mesh gets better BUT still tight

I've just started to try to get these working on my H8. I've almost given up before I start because of the problems you list above.

I've tried them in the plastic gear boxes and my Ally ones and the mesh is so poor I need to get some shims(Why the hell are there none in the packets???)Even if I lose the play on the complete ball diff assy the crown gear floats around like a balloon.

not impressed at all. I'm now at the point of putting the lot on ebay and getting an M18T instead. Just don't need the aggro that seems to follow this buggy around
:mad:

WhoMe
09-28-2005, 01:04 PM
I dont own these diffs. But a friend of mien who purchased all three along with the atomic center diff casing got these to work perfectly. His car is dialed! Ill have to find out what he did.

Smoothound
09-28-2005, 06:09 PM
i've faffed around most of the day with these now and all I've done is chew up drive gears. runs fine for a few minutes then starts slipping, takes ages to decide where it's slipping and another age to setup again. Too much hassle, they need to be adjustable from the outdrives not inside the freaking diff and they really do need a decent shim kit supplied with them. I've fiddled with variuos shims/washers i have laying around here and I can't get a decent mesh at all :mad:

let's hope 3Racings or the ST sealed diffs are better than these...

Smoothound
09-28-2005, 06:33 PM
Just stripped it down again and oh what a surprise this time the crown gear is stripped :eek:

Bet I can't get a new one...

Can today possibly get any better :mad:

mat3833
09-28-2005, 07:22 PM
wow... that sucks, i would just put the stock front and rear diffs back in and wait until the ST diffs come out. i qould keep the center diff tho, that way you get full 4wd.

Matt

BLACKHAWK444
09-28-2005, 10:36 PM
Everyone thinking about getting ball diffs.....WAIT!!! Kyosho is sounding very positive about the ST diffs.

mat3833
09-28-2005, 11:12 PM
my opinion exactly, or atleast wait for the 3racing ones, they are supposed to be good.

Matt

BitHed
09-29-2005, 01:46 AM
...but the gearing might change mommy :confused:

BLACKHAWK444
09-29-2005, 01:52 AM
The kyosho guy said to wait for them bit..... ;)

BitHed
09-29-2005, 02:01 AM
...i am running a STOCK center in a #RACING hub and ATOMIC front and rear...I just did them up REALLY tight and they work a treat...i didnt shim them either..

Smoothound
09-29-2005, 09:55 AM
Well I just found a new gear for the ball diff on eBay so at least I can fix that :rolleyes:

Reckon I'll sell these and wait for the ST ones...

Bit I'm surprised yours just fitted with no shimming or anything. On mine not only does the complete assy float backwards and forwards between the bearings but the crown gear on the diff can move around as well :(

mat3833
09-29-2005, 04:49 PM
still no word from the big K on the diffs? man i dont want to wait!

Matt