PDA

View Full Version : Danger Will Robinson Danger..

BitHed
03-23-2005, 10:59 PM
...This is about what KYOSHO didnt tell us :mad:

...We know KYOSHO is using a no-name 1100 cell for their 'HOT' packs...And its most likely, if you are like me, you believed that the stock electronics were designed to handle the 9.6 volts generated...this is in fact FALSE...

...KYOSHO has announced, well a while back actually but we lost the fax...DUH!!! that users swapping UP to the 1100 mAH pack MUST use a clip-on unit they are calling a 'Battery Protection Unit'...Essentially it is a limiter which will keep the current at the acceptable 7.4 volts...Apologies if i am using the wrong words in the wrong places...I am not a tech; just the messenger...

...PanicToys will be doing the 'Battery Protection Unit' at 22 USD shipped...The halfeight.com price is TBC...

...SO...If you use a GP1100 8 cell WITHOUT this unit with stock gear you are going to have a little cook-out...

...We figured that a 1.2v cell, though a nice new GP one MIGHT charge itself to 1.4v, would be best in a 6 cell pack :) That would mean that you would be getting a nice 7.4v charge though your stock gear keeping everyone happy...SO...

1: Stock AA batteries, stock gear = Sad pathetic ride...
2: Hot 6-cell battery, NO unit = STYLIN' :)
2: Hot 8-cell battery, NO unit = BBQ...
3: Hot 8-cell battery, YES unit = Happy happy joy joy...
4: Hot battery, 9.6 capable gear = Swooning women and pro contract offers :D

TNB
03-23-2005, 11:34 PM
5. LiPo with all the fixin's = :D :D :D Duck! Get out of the way! Move it!

BitHed
03-23-2005, 11:53 PM
...Novak has a nice BIG BLOCK esc which will embrace 9.6 volts...I just cant find an email address for them...

TNB
03-24-2005, 12:09 AM
Well I do already have an 11.1v LiPo 3-cell....

< thinking about another brushless motor >

BitHed
03-24-2005, 12:13 AM
...i might do up a nice little 6 pack for giggles...

ruknd
03-24-2005, 01:51 AM
makes me even more want to wait for a pro kit so I can spy or mamba it

BLACKHAWK444
03-24-2005, 01:56 AM
Um could you put the adaptor thingy on a different esc?

BitHed
03-24-2005, 03:22 AM
...blackhawk i THINK so...all i have of it is a nasty fax copy that is all screwed up anyway so its difficult to see...I will be picking one up for sure anyway...but my digicam decided to pack and leave last night so i am without a way to take pics :mad:

...and a basic look around reveals to me that the average 9.6 unit will be in your PLANE section and not your CAR section...There are some units which will control both lipo AND NiMH packs...I am learning so much recently I am worried about what i am forgetting !!

RURC
03-24-2005, 03:40 AM
...This is about what KYOSHO didnt tell us :mad:

1: Stock AA batteries, stock gear = Sad pathetic ride...
2: Hot 6-cell battery, NO unit = STYLIN' :)
2: Hot 8-cell battery, NO unit = BBQ...
3: Hot 8-cell battery, YES unit = Happy happy joy joy...
4: Hot battery, 9.6 capable gear = Swooning women and pro contract offers :D

Like I said in the beginning Bit. POS. I will have spare units to dump when those POS'es become a toaster pastry. I may keep one around for a replacement for my wifes stock one. That will still leave at least 2 to dump. I will be taking pre orders.

BitHed
03-24-2005, 03:44 AM
...i agree...kind of...its only a POS when you try to run 9.6 through it, well not ONLY then but you know what i mean...It will be like trying to pass a watermelon out your butt...

...As a unit taking a 6 cell setup i think it will be OK...So i will get the adaptor thingy, run my 8 cell packs and face the mucsic when i need to...And when i do i will be checking YOUR list of 'Best Replacements' :)

chrille
03-24-2005, 09:37 PM
Well, then i know what i will do! Swap out the stock gear, give it to the neighbour kids and use my LRP ESC!! :D Cause i WILL get the 9.6V setup.

ruknd
03-25-2005, 04:11 AM
u know what 7.4 volts is perfectly fine if it can take a hot motor...all the other 1/18 scaleys take 7.x anyways...

BitHed
03-25-2005, 04:20 AM
...Thats what I am counting on...I have two 8-cell packs...might do up a 6 cell to run a Beast Raptor...I will definately pick up a coule of the Battery Protectors...I dont have the need yet for large price tag 9.6 gear :(

mpetrich
03-25-2005, 08:43 PM
Hi Bit,
I have a question re. this issue.
I have my Mamba 6800 waiting to be installed. Since I am swapping out the ESC (and the receiver) will I still have a problem re. the voltage? At a minimum I wanted to put in the Team Helotes 9.6 v pack (but I really want the LiPo's).
Matt

BitHed
03-25-2005, 08:52 PM
...Mpetrich...if you are swapping out the esc then it doesnt matter...just dont TRASH the stock gear until you KNOW the mamba fits...Silly question but you have a servo ready to go too right? ;) Just checking...

...I have now started thinking that if this 'Battery Protector' makes the gear OK with 9.6 then it might work with NON-Stock gear? Looks quite small and a quick change to Ultras and we should be ready to go...

ruknd
03-25-2005, 08:52 PM
it is the ESC that has limits on the votage...so if you are throwing a new mamba esc in there look at the specs and find out how much power the sucker can handle.

mpetrich
03-25-2005, 08:55 PM
...Mpetrich...if you are swapping out the esc then it doesnt matter...just dont TRASH the stock gear until you KNOW the mamba fits...Silly question but you have a servo ready to go too right? ;) Just checking...

...I have now started thinking that if this 'Battery Protector' makes the gear OK with 9.6 then it might work with NON-Stock gear? Looks quite small and a quick change to Ultras and we should be ready to go...

WAIT! Why do I need a new servo?!
Thanks,
Matt

BitHed
03-25-2005, 08:56 PM
...The mamba gear is all 'dedicated' so it should be fine...how long is the can on the mamba? It needs to be the same or shorter than 37.8mm ;)

...The servo is 4-wire and part of the 'set' electronics...you change the esc / reciever unit and you need too ochange the servo too :mad: I know it sux doesnt it...

mpetrich
03-25-2005, 09:08 PM
Thanks Bit.
The Mamba motor is 33.02mm's long so it should fit no problem.
It can handle up to 14.4 v (12 NiMH or a 3 cell LiPo) even though I have heard that running a 4 cell LiPo (14.8) is not a problem. I will check with Castle Creations on that.
UGH!!!!!!!!!
I hate the all-in-one ESC, Rx and servo. That was a crummy idea with the Mini T also!
Do we have any idea on what aftermarket servo drops right in with no chassis mods?
Thanks for the help.
Matt

BitHed
03-25-2005, 09:29 PM
...good one Matty...Now at least we know that the mamba will 'fit' in fact it might even be quite roomy in there...

...I am unsure about the mount but again it SHOULD be ok...

...The brackets which KYOSHO has provided will take the MAIN servo companies gear...That will be FUTABA, KO, JR SANWA / AIRTONICS for sure...I am unsure about HITEC but it SHOULD be ok...No doubt there will be a list in the manual that we will need to get online asap...

BitHed
03-27-2005, 12:04 AM
...Here is the little sucker in all its glory...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/bithed/71953.jpg

...white plug to the battery, black plug to the esc...I will swap to ULTRA plugs but there isnt much wire to play with...

mpetrich
03-27-2005, 01:23 AM
Hey Bit,
If you get a chance (and when you get the info) please post what aftermarket servos we can use. From what I understand, the Half8 comes with a mounting kit for different servos. I just want to make sure that I get the right one.
Thanks,
Matt