PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Chasis

yiorgos
08-28-2005, 08:38 AM
Hi All,
I bought a H8 a couple of weeks ago and I realy enjoy it. I have found this hop up (http://www.carbon-tuning.de/ (Section Kyosho), a carbon chasis and I need some info about it. Does any one of you are using it?

Geroge

type r
08-28-2005, 10:08 AM
Hi,
Here is a picture of it.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b378/koenc/Mini%20Inferno/carbonchassis.jpg

I'm in doubt about this one. They always told me that the chassis can't be completely flat for fast offroad cars.
The lower bump in the middle is there cause - in case it bottoms out after a jump - the friction is reduced and you do not loose to much speed....

But when it comes to looks . . . . this is a must have option AND for the weight freaks : this is probably a little lighter then the original one ! :)

janniz
08-28-2005, 10:24 AM
I think it would be a diff killer because front/rear diffs are open at this one. Maybe its good for indoor carpet tracks, but even there you will get dust and parts of the carpet inside the diffs unless you find a way to close those holes. And after all I think the H8 is made to go outside and play in the dirt ;)

BitHed
08-28-2005, 02:29 PM
...looks nice though..good find...we should check it out some more...

BiGRoB21
08-28-2005, 08:36 PM
cover the diff holes with peices of lexan no dirt will get in then

tonylukes
08-28-2005, 09:13 PM
I like the look, wonder how much it would cost though. The problem would be flex, you'd have to make sure your top deck is stiff to counter act any chassis flex.

dodgetigger
08-29-2005, 08:05 AM
I saw this chassis on German ebay, they are sold for 30 Euro, that translates to something like 36 Dollar, I think. They are selling worldwide, I don't know what they will take for shipping then, though.

Here is a link:
http://cgi.ebay.de/Mini-Inferno-CFK-CHASSIS-Carbon_W0QQitemZ7345307272QQcategoryZ100035QQrdZ1Q QcmdZViewItem

They also sell the shock towers in carbon, I think these are quite interesting...

plain_simple
08-29-2005, 11:54 AM
Actually it would be around $46.
For those that dindt noticed or couldnt translate, its made out of a 2,5mm carbon plate and its CNC nachined... Solving the openings for the diff's is something easy but anyone that use it will have to make a stiff upper deck to go along with the flex and also to get some lexan parts to apply under the chassis for squid effect... looks good though ;)

P.S.: On the auction it says that is only available for Germany.. now that does reduce anyone's interest... at least to me it does :(

BitHed
08-29-2005, 01:09 PM
...i took the liberty of introducing myself as your notorious leader (raised eyebrows down now thank you) and offering them an open invitation to come and visit us and lay a few lines on the forums...I am guessing there might be some BIG language barriers (purely imagined of course) so i am looking to follow up with assisstance from soome german clients of PanicToys..Anyone else able to lend a hand?

plain_simple
08-29-2005, 06:00 PM
you did well... :D and you better relay on those german clients you have because my german is not that good... i do speak a bit but just a bit really eheheheh

tonylukes
08-29-2005, 07:01 PM
I just emailed a company called xtreme racing. They do a ton of carbon fiber work and currently have blue carbon fiber shock towers for the mini inferno on the bay. Maybe they'll make a chassis...

janniz
08-29-2005, 08:50 PM
Well, I just sent them some email, too (in German :D ) asking for worldwide-shipping, flex, etc. - let's see if they will answer...

Inferno454
08-29-2005, 11:38 PM
what if u race that on a dirt track and hit a landing wrong? SNAP. my friend did that with his MF1 and i snapped my other friends B4 chassis with my Tmaxx lol (we were playing tag, i won.)

BitHed
08-30-2005, 05:15 AM
...some lexan parts to apply under the chassis for squid effect...(

...Plain Simple i understand the zero flex top...i understand the lexan diff hole covers i honestly do...But what is the squid effect? You mean like a lexan plate on the bottom to stop scratching? Like the ones for the rc18t that were on ebay?

plain_simple
08-30-2005, 12:09 PM
squid meanted skid... damn... i do need to start reading my post before actually put them online lmao :o i wasnt able to edit that to change the squid f* up to skid in time but... yeah, thats exactly it... like the ones for the rc18 or that comes already on the kit in some 1/10 gas trucks. I guess you can also use some motocross pads for that like the ones used to protect the deposit sides on the bikes that race the Paris/Dakar, a race that this year is gona start in Lisbon.. wont be missing that one! :D

BitHed
08-30-2005, 02:16 PM
...right thats what i THOUGHT you meant :D SQUID PLATES!! I like it...sounds funkier than skid plates ;)

steviet
08-30-2005, 04:27 PM
I think it would be a diff killer because front/rear diffs are open at this one.

contacted the seller today: he told me, that the ebay photo is an older version of the chassis - the new version doesn't have the diff holes ....
i will post a picture when the chassis will arrive ..... ;)

EDIT: - the new version of the chassis :

http://i14.ebayimg.com/03/i/04/d0/de/5a_1_b.JPG

I bought two chassis - if anyone is interested pls email me
i can ship worldwide !

janniz
08-30-2005, 08:08 PM
the new version doesn't have the diff holes
So you allready know... I just checked my mailbox and "carbon-tuning.de" replied my email super-fast - he really seems to be a nice guy. He also told me that worldwide shipping will be no problem. The new version of the chassis will be 30,- Euro too, like the one on eBay.

plain_simple
08-30-2005, 09:43 PM
Now thats good news... does he also speaks english or just german? Those diff holes look way better in this version...
Steviet: when you get your chassis can you please tell me if they are totally flat?

BitHed
08-30-2005, 11:26 PM
...aww...this is great you guys...team coperation...I love it...Steviet you read my mind mate...See if you can get him to come online with us..itll be great to hear about this chassis once it arrives...Keep up the good work...

...How much are we talking for these in USD?

tonylukes
08-31-2005, 01:28 AM
Thats great news that he'll ship worldwide, maybe we can get a group discount for halfeight.com members lol

30 euros is $36.66 btw, well today at least.

BitHed
08-31-2005, 03:26 AM
...thats not too bad...i guess around 45 or thereabouts to get one shipped to Japan...I will wait to hear what Steviet says about it...Looks good though...I am glad the maker closed in those diff holes...wise move...

...i was just mulling the stiffness / skid problems over in my mind...top deck is a reasonably easy fix...and a couple of my local guys are running a teflon / stick on top plastic covering on their DF-02 TAMIYA 4WD chassis which seem to do well...I will hit up the 18T squid-plate guys on ebay and see if they are interested in a collaborative design...

acidoangel
08-31-2005, 10:15 AM
I take one too... I live in France. So, i get one quickly :)

gulfclk
08-31-2005, 10:32 AM
I'll take ... NONE! This will be a total ripoff!

I'm sure the way this chassis is built is with one top and bottom layer of CF ... and in between black fibreglass. You think you buy state of the art, but your off the shelf plastic chassis with the braces will even be stiffer.

Look at the 1/5th scene ... chassis for sale for 300USD, machined, milled, everything. I made mine myself. Costed me about 450 USD for the weave alone, still had to laminate it and machine it myself.

When you look from the side, you'll see a slightly shiny line on top and inbetween layers, it will be matt black. OK, when you want to buy it for the looks, then it's OK, but don't buy it for performance, This chassis cannot be made out of full CF for €30, machined, with posts, ...

I'll make mine myself. I'm sure then it's the real stuff. So guys ... don't tell me I didn't warn you!

plain_simple
08-31-2005, 02:14 PM
.I will hit up the 18T squid-plate guys on ebay and see if they are interested in a collaborative design...
Lmaooooo you're learning something Bit... i like that squid expression!!!! :D ;)
Keep me posted on that, because i'm also gona get two of those chassis because ripoff or not... that thing surely deserves a try! :)

BitHed
08-31-2005, 02:33 PM
...well i think they might be interested after they see what else will be happening very soon...Besides; they are really the only guys doing anything like that...And as much as I love Frank and the gang at CAW we will all be grey and shrivelled if we waited around for the CAW alloy chassis :p

gulfclk
08-31-2005, 02:56 PM
I'm sure others will follow with CF chassis. Look at the hopup market who's offering what for the moment. Lot's of stuff, even for the TC4, which is brand new.

From the other hand ... €30, that's worth the try. But ... like I said, I'll make mine myself.

Perhaps I can find a deal with you guys. You pay my tickets, and I'll give a course on how to make your own CF stuff. Oh yeah, my wife, she loves foreign countries!

BitHed
08-31-2005, 03:02 PM
..Guly and im sure we will love your wife :D BTW when you do up one of the carbon chassis send me a sample..I will send you some gum in return ;) LOL...

steviet
08-31-2005, 03:27 PM
the ebay seller is very fast - i got my two chassis today !!!

chassis1.jpg (http://www.steviet.info/inferno/chassis1.jpg)
chassis2.jpg (http://www.steviet.info/inferno/chassis2.jpg)
chassis3.jpg (http://www.steviet.info/inferno/chassis3.jpg)
chassis4.jpg (http://www.steviet.info/inferno/chassis4.jpg)
chassis5.jpg (http://www.steviet.info/inferno/chassis5.jpg)

If anyone is interested in my second chassis, please email me

YES Bithed, Alum Posts are for the Battery Covers and YES, the are removable

BitHed
08-31-2005, 03:34 PM
...dood that looks killer...i am SO interested in that chassis right now...

tonylukes
08-31-2005, 03:39 PM
is it me or does that look like a cf overlay as gulfclk thought? the cross section photos seem like it might be.

steve - I just sent you an email though lol

yiorgos
09-01-2005, 02:16 PM
I Ordered mine a couple of days and I should receive it any time.

yiorgos
09-01-2005, 08:33 PM
I think this on it is a full carbon plate.
Ebay link (http://cgi.ebay.de/Mini-Inferno-Carbon-Chassis_W0QQitemZ7347208242QQcategoryZ100035QQrdZ1 QQcmdZViewItem)
[/IMG]

gulfclk
09-04-2005, 04:58 AM
I think this on it is a full carbon plate.
Ebay link (http://cgi.ebay.de/Mini-Inferno-Carbon-Chassis_W0QQitemZ7347208242QQcategoryZ100035QQrdZ1 QQcmdZViewItem)
[/IMG]

Well, at least the guys says it is. From what you can see on the pictures, it looks true, but than again, pictures are difficult to tell you all the details.

BitHed
09-12-2005, 08:27 AM
...i think battery posts are nice to besupplied like that but i stioll dont like them...I would take mine off probably...Apparently you can take them off the chassis Steviet has...BTW we are waiting to get some other parts to put on there to sset it all up and start running it...Maybe I SHOULD have picked one of these up when i had the chance...But i would be So scared i might snap it :eek:

maxxenitout
09-12-2005, 02:19 PM
I'll make mine myself. I'm sure then it's the real stuff.
You want to make mine to? LOL j/k

gulfclk
09-12-2005, 07:58 PM
...i think battery posts are nice to besupplied like that but i stioll dont like them...I would take mine off probably...Apparently you can take them off the chassis Steviet has...BTW we are waiting to get some other parts to put on there to sset it all up and start running it...Maybe I SHOULD have picked one of these up when i had the chance...But i would be So scared i might snap it :eek:

I hate those battery posts ... I have to think about a better solution, because the posts on the carbon chassis look crap. I have to use my brains ... hey, I'm a man, so ... wait, when I'm writing, I can't think! DUH!

BitHed
09-13-2005, 12:15 AM
...the battery posts suck as do the battery covers...I have improved the top plate somewhat but i am stuck with the batteries...I like what bluegroove racer did with the 'tie-downs' but i am still mulling the problem...getting closer all the time though ;)

plain_simple
09-13-2005, 04:01 PM
why dont you use the new plastic velcro product from 3M to secure the packs to the chassis? I took out the battery covers and all that and never had problems with cells on the loose.
That thing grabs them to the chassis like an eagle grabs a rabbit, actually, i was amazed how strong it is and sometimes i have to use a thin screwdriver to take them off to charge them.

Check it out here:
http://cms.3m.com/wcms/view.jhtml?ikiccFJ=1-2-37
or
http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/en001/government/innovative_solutions/node_GS7Q7H3Z4Wbe/root_GS3RBW6QFVgv/vroot_31S2JJ7584ge/gvel_WJS9DJRMHRgl/command_AbcPageHandler/theme_us_innovativesolutions_3_0

Randelstevens
09-16-2005, 06:37 PM
To whom does the Holly Grail serve?
Signed
The Wizard :cool:

Randelstevens
09-16-2005, 08:30 PM
...the battery posts suck as do the battery covers...I have improved the top plate somewhat but i am stuck with the batteries...I like what bluegroove racer did with the 'tie-downs' but i am still mulling the problem...getting closer all the time though ;)

im me we have what you are looking for.

the Wizard

BitHed
09-16-2005, 10:56 PM
...now THAT right there is what i am talking about with the top plate...a one piece unit of super chunky loopiness..great stuff...allow me to rip those and post them from photobucket? I am trying to cut down on my number of daily clicks ;)

...But once again this proves that there are NO rules in this hobby...you wanna do it, you think it works you do it...GREAT stuff Randal...

frostyGT
09-18-2005, 03:36 AM
What is the latest word on this chassis? I'd like to order one, but I don't speak any german. Does anyone have one, or can help me get one in the US?

Thanks!

frostyGT
09-23-2005, 04:36 PM
I just received this chassis from Steviet. I find the quality to be excellent. All of the holes are drilled perfectly and there is almost no flex to this chassis. It is far stronger than the stock chassis. Let me try and post a pic here. If it's too large, let me know and I'll size it down some.

Damon

http://home.comcast.net/~damon.collins/chassis1l.jpg

BitHed
09-23-2005, 11:58 PM
...nice pics...looks really REALLY sweet...if you could downsize that just a tiny little bit that would be appreciated...but that pic ALONE makes me want one all over again...

bluegrooveracer
09-24-2005, 12:32 AM
good job it looks like someone likes 3racing i love the neutral look of your chassis layout

BitHed
09-24-2005, 12:35 AM
...the 3RACING gunmetal / titanium colouring looks great on the carbon...I am just thankful its not blue...and the 3RACING center hub is so low profile its weird isnt it..lol..

bluegrooveracer
09-24-2005, 12:43 AM
heh frostygt lets see a pic with those 5 stars i sold you

frostyGT
09-24-2005, 01:58 AM
bluegroove - Thanks for the wheels!!! I feel like I stole em! ;)

bit - reduced to 800x600

http://home.comcast.net/~damon.collins/chassis2.jpg

BitHed
09-24-2005, 02:14 AM
...PERFECT !! Danke Frosty...Man that thing is FINE lookin'!! You gotta love HPI...and that carbon chassis is RAPIDLY becoming VERY appealing...

bluegrooveracer
09-24-2005, 03:46 AM
very nice that looks great i'm glad you like them, not bad for a penny!! did they have enough material removed from the back to prevent rubbing

BitHed
09-24-2005, 04:05 AM
...a PENNY? Now THATS deflation if you have ever seen it...lol...maybe PanicToys should have a Penny Sale..lol...

frostyGT
09-24-2005, 04:07 AM
The wheels aren't mounted right yet. I still need to buy/make some hex adapters. I just put them on because they look cool. :)

I'm thinking about getting the CAW hex set. That way, there will never be any strength or fit issues.

Oh yeah...Let me say again that this chassis is very nice and well designed. I love it! I definitely recommend it to anyone.

BitHed
09-24-2005, 04:12 AM
...frosty it LOOKS great...VERY attractive...and your setup makes it look so clean and tidy...i bet it feels feathery...i hope you dont break it...as much as i want one i would be SO worried about breaking it...scratches and dings are no problem, im not THAT anal :o but i could see myself crashing it and writing it off...I have a custom alloy CAW unit coming but carbon...CARBON...one of my favourites from the periodic table...

frostyGT
09-24-2005, 04:20 AM
Well...a penny plus $5 shipping (which was very fair)! Sometimes I like to browse the Ebay ads and place a few low bids on items that seem to be flying under the radar. I don't know why, but nobody else bid on the wheels.

So....Final bid was $0.01!
Ebay auction link (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5998575052&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1)

Thanks again, bluegroove!!!
If you ever get the Mini-T chassis done, you can def. put me down for a pre-order.

Bit - Thanks for the compliments. I really love the look of this car. As far as breaking, this thing is pretty bullet-proof. It'll see mostly asphalt and grass. Definitely not made for the track. :)

As far as CF goes, I love it! Just about every car in my fleet has a CF chassis. There is something about it that stirs the soul... :cool:

frostyGT
10-08-2005, 03:56 AM
I've had a few questions about the performance of this chassis. I haven't done any testing yet, because I am still setting it up. Working on an upper deck for my lipo, and I just received my Aon and need to get it installed. Oh, and I just got my CAW wheel adapters too.

Anyway...With what I have seen so far, this is an excellent chassis. Very strong and great quality. I believe someone mentioned that this would be as flexible as stock, but that is definitely not the case. This thing is incredibly stiff and I don't see any way that you could bend or break it.

If you have durability concerns, forget it. This is bullet-proof. Once I get everything installed, I'll post more pics and give a review of the chassis performance.

Damon

BitHed
10-08-2005, 05:23 AM
...I am SO loving that chassis...I am SO close to getting one...but what i DONT get is that hole at the front next to the servo...I could understand if it was UNDER the servo but under the steering rod like that? I mean I am sure it does something but WHY there :confused:

frostyGT
10-08-2005, 07:05 AM
Could be a couple reasons for the hole cut:

1-Weight reduction, while still maintaining full strength.

2-Weight balance, to counter-act the hole under the motor (kinda stretching it, though) ;)

3-It would allow you to pop off the steering arm from the servo when a plate is mounted above the servo. It would also allow you to put the arm back on if it came off, w/o removing the upper plate.

4-Could provide some cooling under the body.

Thanks for the compliments, bit! You just need to go ahead and buy one...

Have you seen the GPM carbon fiber chassis? :)

steviet
10-08-2005, 06:57 PM
I tried to install my Carbon Chassis yesterday, everything fits perfectly
......except the battery posts ..... they don't fit :

http://img61.imageshack.us/img61/4534/chassis17yo.jpg

contacted 'carbon-tuning' and she send me revised battery posts today :

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/3977/batteriepins6ho.jpg

but battery packs still doesn't fit 100% :

http://img400.imageshack.us/img400/7652/chassisinstalliert2qi.jpg

also it's impossible to change the packs without removing the battery posts,
and that is for me the 'killer' to send the chassis back !!!

Chassis is really perfect but with these battery posts its useless for me :(

frostyGT
10-08-2005, 07:24 PM
You could remove the battery posts and covers, and just use velcro to hold the pack onto the chassis. If you use the "industrial" velcro, the batts will never come off.

Just a thought. I'm gonna use a lipo with mine, so I never even touched the posts.

Good luck and thanks for the chassis! :)

BLACKHAWK444
10-09-2005, 02:42 AM
Thats what I am going to do with my aluminum chassis. Frosty do you know where to get some good velcro online?

frostyGT
10-09-2005, 03:37 AM
Any office supply store is good. Here is a link to some at Office Depot:
Office Depot Velcro (http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?level=SK&id=744981&No=10&Ne=6+1+10313+5&Nr=FILTER(domestic)&N=4294951557+10324&An=browse)

Good luck! Your aluminum chassis sounds pretty cool.

BitHed
10-10-2005, 12:40 AM
...Steviet dont send it back...Send it on to me :D I will get you that payment back asap :) Or we can figure something out with your boats ;) That battery setting isnt REALLY a problem though is it? Its not THAT big a deal is it? Nice pics btw....

frostyGT
10-10-2005, 03:04 AM
Here are some updated pics of this chassis. I made an upper deck for my lipo pack and another for the antenna mount. Still needs work, but let me know what you think.

Proline body is coming soon... :)

http://home.comcast.net/~damon.collins/upper2.jpg http://home.comcast.net/~damon.collins/upper3.jpg http://home.comcast.net/~damon.collins/upper4.jpg

frostyGT
10-10-2005, 03:05 AM
Another...

http://home.comcast.net/~damon.collins/upper5.jpg

BitHed
10-10-2005, 03:42 AM
...Frosty i STILL hate you but I am loving your buggy :o Slightly different direction to mine but you are making great use of that carbon base ;) Do you have a weight for what you are so far? Cant be much? That thing looks like it might blow away in a decent breeze :p