PDA

View Full Version : GPM Gearboxes

Smoothound
08-24-2005, 04:37 PM
Having got sick of screws stripping and falling out of the standard gearboxes on my Half 8 I invested in front and rear alloy ones from GPM.

Well they arrived today look OK and are about 6g heavier than stock.

Usual thing for a lot of these parts though, no instructions, not a huge problem as it is reasonably obvious how they got together but hardly any screws bearing in mind that I can't reuse the old ones as they are not machine screws for pre-threaded holes.

You actually get 6 screws of 3 different types and 4 plastic washers which I have no idea where they are supposed to go. Bearing in mind there are a total of 22 holes that require screws of correct thread/length :eek: :confused:

Am I being picky? I don't think it is much to expect a set of screws so the poxy thing is bolt on, or is it?
:mad:

BitHed
08-25-2005, 01:18 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/bithed/GPMGEARBOXFNT.jpg

...well there are definately lots of holes in there...and plastic washers? I dunno...assemble it and then see what falls off :D

maxxenitout
08-25-2005, 04:02 AM
Man that sucks!

BitHed
08-25-2005, 04:29 AM
GPM tries their best to come in and take over your car..unless we have the balls to re-cut holes and fit square screws in round holes then they make our lives difficult...you will get there in the end...Shame they are blue :p

maxxenitout
08-25-2005, 06:41 AM
Shame they are blue
Bit i've seen them "on the bay"(as you put it) in a few colors.

BitHed
08-25-2005, 06:47 AM
...blue maxxen was the only pic i could get...I would go silver or red but BLOO? ANyway i think they go together like Rubiks Cube...lol..

Smoothound
08-25-2005, 07:22 AM
Thanks for your input BitHed :rolleyes:

:D

Smoothound
08-25-2005, 07:23 AM
Mine are silver

wartown
08-25-2005, 02:30 PM
Why are you replacing them in the first place?? Is it just for the bling factor?
6g's and 6g's there start to add up. If aint broke dont fix it. The half 8 is already heavy enough.

BitHed
08-25-2005, 03:08 PM
...i have to agree with both of you...weight is weight...and as King Weight Weenie (self-proclaimed of course) i rear in horror at the thought of ADDING 12 grams...but you gotta admit...front and rear gear boxes in silver is DAMN sexy :D

Smoothound
08-25-2005, 03:53 PM
Why are you replacing them in the first place?? Is it just for the bling factor?
6g's and 6g's there start to add up. If aint broke dont fix it. The half 8 is already heavy enough.

If you read the first post fully you'd have read why I got them :rolleyes:

Luckily for me I don't race my H8 so weight is not a major factor and in my opinion 6g is worth it to have screws that actually stay in and don't strip out after you've fiddled a few times. I'd rather it was a bit heavy and robust than 100g lighter and breaks on the first big jump :D

Problem is a few too many people get a bit too anal about weight...in my opinion of course, what say you BitHed :p :D

BitHed
08-25-2005, 04:00 PM
...im not anal...merely fixated with a relentless passion like the heat of the sun and blah blah blah...no i just like to save where i can ;)

...If its strength over weight though i would rather have strength...Same as a mountain bike...could be light as hell but aint worth diddly squat if it breaks all the time...

...i am STILL waiting to here anal details of how they go though...smooth? better? weighty? Come on Smooty get your creative juices flowing :p

Smoothound
08-25-2005, 04:10 PM
Currently I need to get motivated to go find all the poxy screws I need to fit the freaking things and at the moment all my head keeps telling my hands to do is throw them in the bin :mad:

I can't believe any company that is worth squat, would even imagine to put these on the market and expect Joe User go hunting around for all the different little screws you need.

On top of that, I could half understand not putting any in the packs but to put 6 out of 22 or so(Not including the 4 washers that I've no idea where they are supposed to go) is beyond stupid it's almost insane...

I feel better now :D

wartown
08-25-2005, 07:49 PM
Nobody's being anal. I race my truck every week on a 10th. scale tracks and it has very large jumps. I have not had any problems with screws stripping. maybe you need to be more careful when your "fiddling" with it.

plain_simple
08-25-2005, 08:32 PM
for someone that races thats not a way to go, amybe the outdrives on aluminium to handle the titanium center dogbones would be a good choice but thats about it... on the other hand... well... it does look good on a shelf... thats for sure :D

Smoothound
08-27-2005, 09:13 AM
Well I've emailed and moaned a bit but so far no answer...

Smoothound
08-29-2005, 08:34 PM
Nobody's being anal. I race my truck every week on a 10th. scale tracks and it has very large jumps. I have not had any problems with screws stripping. maybe you need to be more careful when your "fiddling" with it.

Yes they are, sorry :D

I have!!!! As has another guy I know in my area, maybe we just got poop diff housings then :rolleyes:

I know fiddling, I've fiddled all my life, I know the limits of metal into plastic :p

As I said originally, i don't give a flying kcuf about 12g, running lithium cells now instead of the NiMh so it should come in nice and light once I manage to source some 2.5mm screws of various lengths, which at this moment in time is the stumbling block rather than the weight. :mad:

BitHed
09-03-2005, 07:25 AM
...so you COULD say you got kinda screwed ;)

Smoothound
09-05-2005, 04:27 PM
Well I've got the screws I need now but not ones I want.

They're all steel or SS not Tit so my buggies getting lardier by the minute
:mad:

Atomic need to be taken out and shot :rolleyes:

Smoothound
09-07-2005, 03:38 PM
Finally got the poxy thing back together and the pinion is slipping on the new Aon motor. Fix the pinion and now I've got bugger all drive so my guess is that the diffs are too loose inside the Ally gearboxes and one or more are now stripped :mad: :mad:

I've just ordered an M18T, I've had it with this buggy now :(

BitHed
09-07-2005, 11:35 PM
...chin up old boy...

Smoothound
09-09-2005, 05:52 PM
OK I've given in :o

Ordered the ball diffs and the ally centre mount.

Let's hope the F/R drive gears are still OK :rolleyes:

are the crown gears on the Atomic diffs delrin or shite plastic again...