PDA

View Full Version : Painting - help needed

janniz
08-20-2005, 07:53 PM
Hello there,

it's been awhile since I last "painted" a body - and all I did was spray it one color only.

Now I wanna try to paint some H8-body (I have a clear stock-body and one Pro-Line). To see how it works, I want to start with the stock-body. I allready cut it - damn, thats not easy... please don't tell me that its better to first paint it, then cut :o

Now how do I have to paint it? I want a yellow-red color scheme with some black and white... Start with the black, then red, yellow and white at last? How do I mask the parts I don't want to paint? I have some Tamiya masking-tape, but its kind of small.. Just use it to mask the edges and use like old newspapers to cover the rest? Will that work? :o And what about gradients - is it possible to do a soft gradient with simple spray-cans or can this only be done with airbrush?

Sorry if my questions are dumb, but I just don't have any experience in painting - most of my cars were allready painted. :rolleyes:

Sideshow
08-21-2005, 12:00 AM
Umm yeah your supposed to paint before cutting. :o

maxxenitout
08-21-2005, 02:54 AM
I have had a few good experiences with painting a body after it is cut. Makes it less likely to scratch up the paint. As far as news paper goes I have never tried it I use the thick 3m blue painters tape for any type of masking. I think the newspaper might soak up the paint and mess up the body. :confused: But like I said b4 i'm no paint guru.

Sideshow
08-21-2005, 04:41 AM
That is true Maxx.

I would only do that with a body with overspray mask though.

WhoMe
08-21-2005, 04:48 AM
I always cut the body out before painting. It pretty much eliminates the chance of scratching the paint as you cut the body out after the paint job is completed. Unless ofcourse the body does NOT have oversrpay film in which case I do not cut it out because its easier to bag the outside of the body that way. Asfar as masking is concerned you can use the blue painters tape but I like to use Bob Dively's liquid mask. You can brush that on (three thick coats, 15min apart then wait 24 hours)...draw your design on the outside and cut...then paint. Its nice stuff, makes for clean lines..

Smurf
08-21-2005, 06:40 AM
hi i always paint mine first then cut it out try drawing the design on the out side with a fine marker first so you can get an idea what it looks like. As for masking i would invest in some liquid masking fluid i use the parma stuff. You can fade with a rattle can to a degree hope this helps

maxxenitout
08-21-2005, 07:12 AM
I was referring to cutting the body before paint with overspray film, if it doesn't have the film then I usually put a bag on the body. :)

BitHed
08-21-2005, 11:00 AM
...if it is filmed then cut first spray later...

...the NARROWER a strip of masking tape the easier it is to flow a curved / non-stright line...i usually mask bigger blocks with wider strips of tape or a sliced up plastic bag...absorbent newspaper might not be your best bet...But I also am no expert sprayer :o

plain_simple
08-21-2005, 04:51 PM
bit is right... except for the slice up plastic bag because sometimes plastic does lick if it gets a huge amount of paint in it which is very easy to happend if you're spraying with cans... besides all that has been said and yes, liquid masking is the best way to go but if you dont want to use it then i rather use automotive mask tape for the all body or fill the spaces that are not covered with tape with any non absorvent paper (you might get paint where you dont want it of you use newspaper). Another advice is to warm the can's (if thats what your gona use) inside a warm (remenber... warm isnt hot) water bath in a cup so the gas inside the can blends well when you shake the can before you spray. This way you will get a nice smooth cover instead of a lot of paint licking everywhere.
Just my 2 cents... hope it helped you some how :)

ygphs
08-27-2005, 01:00 AM
I dont see any reason to cut the body out first.... seeing as though you had a body that was molded for a specific chassis style... the moungting holes and other cut or scribed lines are perfect... plus the extra lexan is a good scrap to play around with a newly acquired airbrush....

For prep.... wash body out with mild soap solution.... and wash out throughly..... wash out 3-4 times.... make sure you get all of the soap residue out....

For masking..... liquid mask is the best.... tape also works well but a little more work acheive the same look..... more complex the design the harder it is a acheive the look you want... try Parmas Fastape...... I use Bob Dively liquid mask.... best product for complex designs.....

Painting...... spray darker colors first.... end in lighter colors.... spray in light coats.... and build DRY paint up....

It easy! LOL....

BitHed
08-27-2005, 01:05 AM
...So there ya go :D The master has spoken...I have never used liquid mask but i can tell from Pyro's post that i have obviously been using the wrong stuff...Great post Pyro..Thanks...

WhoMe
08-27-2005, 01:39 AM
I still think you should cut that sucker out first. Why not afterall.

ygphs
08-27-2005, 04:37 PM
Oh.... I forgot to add.....
When cutting out the body after being painted....
Keep the curve of the blade to the outside of the cut line.... this will help not to scrap your work of art away.....

I personaly have done it both ways.... I still like cutting the body after its been painted.... the body is stronger.... wont flex as much when your holding it to paint..... or getting a design out of it.... I find its harder to work with cut to fit before paint......
To each there own..... what ever works better for you and the way you feel most comfortable with..... feeling good is painting good... ya know?

Just my 2 cents.... take it as you may.... hope this helps.....

cuda033
09-05-2005, 06:45 PM
I paint with liquid mask ... does any liquid mask work ya think pyro ? or have you had better luck with a certain kind ?

janniz
09-09-2005, 01:10 PM
Well, thanks to all of you for the help - but I sure messed it up :(
The first coat of black paint (for that little stripe) went well, but after I painted the red color, problems started. When I pulled of the mask, it peeled of some of the black paint - I think I didnt let the paint dry enough. When I was trying to do a fade with the yellow, I blew it up, too. So I just covered the rest with just plain yellow. This is what it looks like now - not good but ok for racing (at least I can tell which car is mine now) :o
http://www.janniz.de/micro/spoked03.jpg

http://www.janniz.de/micro/spoked01.jpg

After all, I learned a lot (from making mistakes) and I am going to try it again for sure. But I gave my CrowdPleazer to a friend of mine who (hopefully) will do a better job...

plain_simple
09-11-2005, 08:04 PM
Doesnt look that bad at all ;)
Sometimes ansiety can do a lot of damage hey?! I just dont liek to se you giving up and handing a body for a friend to paint... we all messed now and then and for someone that never painted before at least the body didnt end up on the trash can which is usual the folder where most people store first bodies lmao :D

cuda033
09-14-2005, 12:33 AM
I always had better luck cutting it then painting it ... and drilling out the holes all before painting :D