PDA

View Full Version : 3racing Aluminum Ball Bearing Steering Assembly

maxxenitout
08-19-2005, 03:46 AM
Well I recieved my steering assembly today and waisted no time in puting into my half8. (thanks again to stellamodels for the great service!) Item has a great finish and goes together fairly easy, although I ran into a couple problems.

First problem became apparent when I tried to torque down the SATO servo saver nut and spring. The stock plastic assembly has a lip(for lack of a better word) that holds the spring in place to keep it from slipping off the side when tightened. The aluminum assembly doesn't, it's just flat so when I tightened the nut down the spring slipped off the side. It caused the spring to sit kind of sideways and the servo saver seemed to suffer.To fix this I grabbed the stock plastic nut and used my body reamer to open it up a bit and mounted it upside down before I mounted the spring in place. It works great, hopefully it will hold up to my driving. :)

Second problem was that for some reason no matter how many times I tried the center steering link seemed to rub against the plastic housing that holds the front center outdrive bearing. The quick and easy fix was to take alittle bit of plastic of the housing with my x-acto knife, maybe not the best fix but I was getting frustrated. After I took off the plastic it worked fine and was really, really smooth. Servo seemed to have an easier time turning the wheels, and centering. I also thought this upgrade would get rid of some the play in the front wheels, it helped out a bit but there is still some left.

Now if someone else has purchased this and hasn't run into the problems I have let me know, maybe I messed up somewhere....

hkopium
08-19-2005, 04:19 AM
Thanks for the info.

I was going to buy this 3Racing item. Now I will wait.

It seems Atomic (I bought this) and 3Racing failed to manufacture a "Direct Fit" ball bearing steering for H8.

In fact, the Atomic one is a total failure. Can't be installed properly at all.

Guess may be I should try the GPM one. GPM seems make alloy hop-ups for H8 with its original design. But I think GPM one has no ball bearing on this unit... :mad:

Maybe there will be a 2nd edition by ATM or 3Racing. I will use the stock once unit I found a direct fit ball bearing steering unit.

maxxenitout
08-19-2005, 05:05 PM
Guess may be I should try the GPM one.
Even though I already purchased this one, I mught give that one a chance.

BitHed
08-21-2005, 02:03 PM
...I will wait for the dust to settle and see who comes out on top...Local japanese third party stuff is pretty good though ;)