PDA

View Full Version : Low cost/No cost mods to improve the H8 Performance

Tiagolini
08-10-2005, 01:16 PM
Hello everybody.
I decided to start this new thread so that we can share the tips and ideas we have in our H8´s. These ideas must have no cost, or a very small cost (under 10 EURO, thats around 12.3847 USD).

OK...mods done on my H8:

1) drill a hole in the lower part of the support where the antena tub sits. From factory the antena tube chews the antena wire as it clamps it, and if you´re really unlucky, crash after crash, you´ll notice that the antena wire is pinched at that point. Do yourself a favour and drill a 2 mill hole and feed the antena wire in the tube from below not side ways!

2) This on is a bit more complicated. Upon driving on dry, fine dirt (one of the terrains Kyosho doesnt want us to have fun (!?!)), I noticed that the center gears had a lot of mini stones and dust. Problem solved, on my H8. Just cut a thin (I mean thin!) slice of foam (like tire foam) of about 1,5mm wide and 0,5mm in height and super glue it in the lexan cover along the edges where it meets the chassis ad the center gearbox (even in the round bits!). Thi way you kind of make gasket seal!

3) The steering bellcrank is really sloppy from factory, so to minimize this I put a washer (1mm in height) under the e-clip on the servo saver tower. No more up-down movement of the s.saver assy => less slop in the system => better steering.

4) This one is avaiable at KyoshoUSA web site. please check it out. It´s about putting washers in the axles before the metal pin. easy mod! Thanks Kyosho, but easy to solve at factory side!!!

5) The servo horn is way too small. I dont know if you guys noticed, but the steering system is capable of offering a tigher turning radius that what really is!...On my H8, I adapted a bigger (taller) servo horn, and now the ball end almost touches the top plastic plate, ie, is higher, having more throw, causing more amplitude of movement at the wheels, improving the turning radius.

6) I replaced all the alloy balls with steel ones. Hey...for me was free of charge, as I had those parts lying around!...honestly I think you can buy a steel set for under 13...USD! A lot less slop in the rear suspension. No more auto randomic camber settings on my H8.

7) to reduce the chance of radio glitching, try to route the antena wire away from the "power lines". ie battery to ESC, and ESC to motor, and FET´s also.

Hey I guess this is it for now.

Case you have good tips, please post them here

Thanks and regards,

thedirt
08-10-2005, 05:30 PM
Hey Tiagolini, great info. Not to be a d**k or anything, but theres a "Things you did to your H8" under the general discussion thread. http://halfeight.com/forums/showthread.php?t=685
so if you post there, there will be tonnes of stuff to go along with it. :D

Sideshow
08-10-2005, 06:35 PM
I cut off the whole antenna mount (that sticks up) with a dremel and then drilled a 2 mm hole in the radio plate and got a GS Clamp mount.Alot better.

Second mod I suggest is make the steering linkage straighter..I dont like it all crooked. TO DO THIS: by taking the front tourque rod and relocating the mount closest to the center of the chassis. On the center diff case, theres a hole that you can use and I just moved the ball stud to that spot (to make things easier...use a 5.5 socket) and then I had to go and buy some new ball cups since the stocks are too short. I used associated ones I had lying around. Then while I was ahead I took a steering link from my 1/8 scale 777 and put it in place of the tourque rod. Just make sure when you do this the rod isnt pushing or pulling on the front of the chassis. THEN you take the servo and mount it more forward, but putting the ears on the front of the mount and then the steering linkage becomes more straight. Now set your EPAs right so the horn/ballcup dosnt hit the Center dogbone and your set! I had to adjust the length on the threaded rod there to help too.

wartown
08-10-2005, 06:48 PM
adding velcro around the frame helps keep the dirt out. it also holds the body on without having to use those clips.

Tiagolini
08-10-2005, 07:02 PM
Hey Tiagolini, great info. Not to be a d**k or anything, but theres a "Things you did to your H8" under the general discussion thread. http://halfeight.com/forums/showthread.php?t=685
so if you post there, there will be tonnes of stuff to go along with it. :D

Hi thedirt,

Thanks for the input, but my idea is really cheap= zero cost upgrades, just small tweaks that you can do to the H8.

Be assured that when I put a BL on these things I´ll drop some lines by that thread!

Regards,

BLACKHAWK444
08-12-2005, 11:55 AM
Good info. I will sure do some of those!

BLACKHAWK444
09-24-2005, 09:14 PM
Would this work as a bigger servo arm? http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=421_36_233&products_id=6601

cuda033
09-25-2005, 09:31 AM
decals made mine faster ..... :D

lubax
09-26-2005, 01:44 PM
Olá

Ei que não têm nada a ver, mas não sabes de algum clube que organize corridas de Mini Infernos? :D

Luis Bacharel

mat3833
09-26-2005, 06:37 PM
i will be locking my center diff when i get it. i have been told to put shoe glue in it and let it sit overnight. it will increace forward traction and eliminate the front tire wear, it just spreads it to all four of them!

Matt

Hammer
08-10-2006, 12:48 AM
The servo horn is way too small. I dont know if you guys noticed, but the steering system is capable of offering a tigher turning radius that what really is!...On my H8, I adapted a bigger (taller) servo horn, and now the ball end almost touches the top plastic plate, ie, is higher, having more throw, causing more amplitude of movement at the wheels, improving the turning radius.Tiagolini, if you're still out there, how did you modify the stock servo horn to be taller? Could you please explain? Thanks. :)

kiwi8
08-10-2006, 08:57 AM
any proplems with mounting the torque rod on the centre diff? i was going to do the mod but theres not much bracing of the diff case. or is there???

H8er
08-12-2006, 05:02 PM
Wow, good post. I especially like the "gasket cover" idea.

Jrgunn5150
09-21-2006, 05:47 AM
I have my torque rod moved to the center diff. It let me clean up some of the unnesessary crap on the chassis. Gave it a cleaner look, and it's easier to work on now.

Performance wise, seem's the same as stock.

Francisco
11-29-2006, 11:38 AM
May I add one?

As is knowned the stock shocks don't do anything. My suggestion (tested today):

Dismantle the shocks. You will find inside a rubber o-ring and 2 plastic spacers.
Cut a piece of silicone fuel tubing a weetsy-bit heigher than the o-ring and replace it for the o-ring. Assemble it back. If it's too tight, squirt some wd-40 on the shaft and push and pull it in a couple of times to lube the silicone tubing a bit. This trick is simple and does wonders, at least you have real friction shocks that work without spending a cent :D