PDA

View Full Version : 3racing shocks stiff ?

Jman
08-09-2005, 07:05 AM
well I got my shocks today and they are really stiff. I put 25 weight in them and are still really stiff. I saw that they include the 2 hole pistons which you can install instaid of the 1 hole but I just cant get the piston to come off. If any one has done this can they let me know the right way to change the pistons, thanks in advance.

Tiagolini
08-09-2005, 08:24 PM
Hi there Jman,

I just received a set from 3racing, and I can tell you that from stock, those shocks are way too stiff...the H8, if droped from a heigth of 10cm would bounce back up in the air again after touching the floor.
I changed all the pistons to the 2 hole version, and filled with 200wt silcone oil.
Now I can tell you that that thing is sweet...yummy...It handles a lot better on my mini track (built in my backyard).
Only problem now is that I have the front springs a bit harder than I would liked to, as the front end sits a bit high...working on that now...

How to remove to pistons?...really easy...just unscrew the cap, remove the clear bladder, and revove the e-clip with a smallscredriver, try not to make a mess with the oil, be careful not to scratch the inner wals of the shock and pull the pist to the top to make your life easier. then without the e-clip, pull really hard DOWN on the lower shock mount and the piston should come out...if not push up gently again, and the whan...down hard again. be careful not to push below so that the piston rod comes out of the shock body!!! replace with the other piston and reverse the procedure, dont forget to add extra oil and DO NOT allow air bubbles to sit around, as the 3racing guys filled the shocks miserably from factory...10% of the chamber is air...should be 100% oil!...its a 10 min job for all 4 shocks.

Hope to have put you in the right direction...

Jman
08-09-2005, 10:23 PM
thanks Tiagolini, I was not sure wat to do and didnt want to ruin the shocks by doing somthing wrong haha but yes I am goin to go and do that right now thanks again

BitHed
08-09-2005, 11:49 PM
...Nice post Tiagolini :) Very informative...Thanks for that :D

MBX-5 Guy
08-10-2005, 04:47 AM
I also found my shocks to be of uneven length. So I adjusted the lengths to match and I used 15 wt oil with the one hole pistons. Feels pretty good.

R32dude
08-10-2005, 07:02 AM
2 hole pistons are the key!!!

Tiagolini
08-10-2005, 12:50 PM
I also found my shocks to be of uneven length. So I adjusted the lengths to match and I used 15 wt oil with the one hole pistons. Feels pretty good.

Thanks BitHed, just doing my part!

MBX-5 Guy, havent checked that!...but I will.

I think that the 3racing shocks are ok for the price. don´t have any problems yet...but I´ll be on top of that situation.
What I think is that any owner should rebuild the shocks from new, since they are a bit....hum...carelessly put together...I mean, the parts look really good, and the fit is excellent, but the final assembly is a mess.
I ordered 5 sets for me, brother, father and 2 friends, and they were ALL filled with air and overly stiff from factory. It´s worth the extra 10 minutes you spend...or 30 minutes...;o)
Now, after changing the pistons, and without air inside, they are smooth...let´s see about their reliability.

So far, I´ve taken out the alloy pre tension adjusters of the springs, and replaced with the thinnest shim from the OEM shocks of the H8...now the front end sits a little bit lower, improving the ride...at least for my track conditions. This is no a good situation though, since the spirng no longer is seated in the top part, ie, the shims dont have the step that the alloy tensioners have. So the spring rubs the outer top part of the sock body. I´m waiting for a full set of 3 racing springs, then I´ll be able to revert to the original adjusters.

I´ve also noticed that the lower shock stem (the plastic part where the ball is located) is a bit different than the original, and it rubs on the hole cut in the suspension arm, thus robbing a couple of mills of travel at the wheel. My idea is to enlarge the hole (inwards toward the center of the car) so the it doesn´t rub anymore.

Any ideas?

Hum...guess I´ll star a new trhead about low(no cost mods to improve the performance...check it out.

Regards

Tiagolini
08-10-2005, 03:23 PM
MBX-5 Guy,

I checked them all and the Fr pair had a difference of 1mm...sames as the rear ones.
already fixed. Thanks!

R32dude
08-11-2005, 04:18 AM
the lengths of the springs in my 3racing spring set were all over the place-none of the lengths matched up at all so I ended up just using the black ones that come with them!!-they were the only set that the lengths matched!!!!!!!! :confused:

Tiagolini
08-16-2005, 02:49 PM
the lengths of the springs in my 3racing spring set were all over the place-none of the lengths matched up at all so I ended up just using the black ones that come with them!!-they were the only set that the lengths matched!!!!!!!! :confused:

Really?...hum...I may end up buying the Kyosho set instead...
Any more of you had similar problems of the springs length not matching?

Thanks

plain_simple
08-16-2005, 03:30 PM
i use the Kyosho ones and i didnt had any problem so far... they are a little stiff at start but after some runs they come around and work smoothly :)

Ronny
09-09-2005, 12:47 AM
Hi there Jman,

I just received a set from 3racing, and I can tell you that from stock, those shocks are way too stiff...the H8, if droped from a heigth of 10cm would bounce back up in the air again after touching the floor.
I changed all the pistons to the 2 hole version, and filled with 200wt silcone oil.
Now I can tell you that that thing is sweet...yummy...It handles a lot better on my mini track (built in my backyard).
Only problem now is that I have the front springs a bit harder than I would liked to, as the front end sits a bit high...working on that now...

How to remove to pistons?...really easy...just unscrew the cap, remove the clear bladder, and revove the e-clip with a smallscredriver, try not to make a mess with the oil, be careful not to scratch the inner wals of the shock and pull the pist to the top to make your life easier. then without the e-clip, pull really hard DOWN on the lower shock mount and the piston should come out...if not push up gently again, and the whan...down hard again. be careful not to push below so that the piston rod comes out of the shock body!!! replace with the other piston and reverse the procedure, dont forget to add extra oil and DO NOT allow air bubbles to sit around, as the 3racing guys filled the shocks miserably from factory...10% of the chamber is air...should be 100% oil!...its a 10 min job for all 4 shocks.

Hope to have put you in the right direction...

Hi:-)

Get a 1.2 or 1.3.mm drill-bit - then drill the 2 hole pistons up to that size (1.2 or 1.3.mm).
Then, depending on where you are gonna drive - street & bumpy track, but with the newly drilled pistons you should be pretty happy with 40wt.F & 35wt.R. If you have 30-35-40-45.wt oils, you will guaranteed be dialed. just use 5.wt thicker oil in front if you dont have anti-rollbars ;)

TN-H8
09-18-2005, 07:29 PM
I put the 2-hole pistons in unmodified with 20wt fluid and it feels just about right.

cuda033
09-20-2005, 12:01 PM
Are they ok for indoor tracks or should i have to mod them a bit no matter what ? I got a set also.

tonylukes
09-20-2005, 12:39 PM
I went with the 2 hole piston and 20wt as well. Feels like it could take 25 or 30 with the stock spring, I'll be experimenting with other spring rates soon.