PDA

View Full Version : Opinion ..... X-speed , speed 400 , rocket 400 , krytal 4 --- which one is better

letian
08-04-2005, 06:56 AM
which motor have a better performance on mini inferno? :rolleyes:

BitHed
08-04-2005, 08:33 AM
...in order of greatness...Aon 4900 (brushless), Rocket 400, Speed 400, Xspeed, K4...

letian
08-04-2005, 03:51 PM
Yea..... I'll order a new motor tonite - rocket 400. thank you BitHed !!

plain_simple
08-04-2005, 04:05 PM
Someone forgot about the AON :p

BitHed
08-04-2005, 04:15 PM
...did Not :p

mOOsE
08-04-2005, 06:00 PM
Depends on what you are looking for. The AON is the best of the best because its brushless. But if you include that then the mamba is second best. As far as the others go, the speed 400 4.8 will the fastest but also the hottest motor out of the group. Running close to 200+ degress F will not last long and can melt your gear cover. The Rocket is your best choice because it has similar power to the 4.8 400 motor but lacks the heat issues...only 150-160F running hard. The x-speed will be a little more power but not worth the money...rocket is 9 bucks US. I haven't tested the K4 but I have seen comparison dyno's and can say it is still faster than a few of those motors that have been listed...but not the fastest. SO, If yo udecide to run 8 cells, get the rocket or go brushless. If you are running with just 6, you would be ok with the 4.8 400 graupner motor.

tonylukes
08-24-2005, 12:54 PM
are there any heatsinks out that will work with the rocket 400. Rocket and futaba combo sure beats spending well over $100 for Aon/Mamba combo.

mOOsE
08-25-2005, 11:39 PM
ebay search for anderson heatsink or mrx4 heatsink...they might even have them here....they are made by atomic.

Inferno454
08-30-2005, 04:02 AM
i have the rocket 400 in my H8, it screams with the 8 cell sport packs from URC, with a fresh pack i can keep up with my friends 19trn B4 team kit, its a blast at the track, even tho i smoked it twice it still runs great, next i might get a XSpeed, is it faster than the rocket?

mOOsE
08-30-2005, 06:25 AM
i have the rocket 400 in my H8, it screams with the 8 cell sport packs from URC, with a fresh pack i can keep up with my friends 19trn B4 team kit, its a blast at the track, even tho i smoked it twice it still runs great, next i might get a XSpeed, is it faster than the rocket?
no, 400 4.8 and the rocket are the fastest non-brushless 400 sized motors.

rcguy
09-08-2005, 09:53 PM
hey... are there any links to the websites for those motors? I usually have bad luck with stock motors... so I am thinking that I will need one eventually...

mOOsE
09-09-2005, 01:50 AM
www.hobby-lobby.com

rcguy
09-09-2005, 05:33 PM
www.hobby-lobby.com

thanks... :D

Ntwadumela
09-12-2005, 01:25 AM
I have found another brushed motor that I like, it is for the Carisma line of cars carried by Horizon Hobbies. They call it their R380 Racing motor and it retails for $13.99. I have used a Rocket 400, but burned it up, so I decided to try this one. It is a Mabuchi 380SH 4.8v according to the stamp on the can. Speed is good, but it does get warm w/ a 9.6v pack. I never have actually checked the temp. I liked the Rocket, but the Carisma motor is easier for me to get and performance is close (not really sure which one was faster), so i will probably stay with it. MOOSE, if you get a chance, I'd be interested in your opinion of this motor.

mOOsE
09-12-2005, 01:56 AM
That motor is also known as the Graupner Speed 400 4.8 volt. It should be slightly faster than the rocket with more torque but watch your fingers as they can reach 250+ degrees F when running high voltage. I run one in my mini quake and measured a volcanic 285 degrees F. I could have cooked an egg on that puppy. Heat like that will destroy any motor and melt the epoxy that holds the windings in place. Are you getting that sweet smell after a hard run...lol

Ntwadumela
09-12-2005, 03:16 AM
I wondered if it was the same as the Graupner. I run a 12t pinion so it doesn't get as hot, but it does get pretty toasty after a full pack. Oh well, I'll just run it untill it fries then put in another.

mOOsE
09-12-2005, 06:14 AM
exactly, they are pretty cheap and a real bargain considering everyone else sells the same motor, puts a different sticker on it, then jacks the price up

dodgetigger
09-14-2005, 09:46 AM
I just saw on German ebay that there are two versions of the Graupner 400:

The 4.8V version, but there is also a 6V version.
Anyone know what the 6V version is like?

mOOsE
09-14-2005, 03:31 PM
There are actually three versions total, there is a 7.2 volt, 6volt and 4.8volt. The stock half8 motor should be the 6 volt version.

Trickpatrick
09-15-2005, 07:18 AM
Hi all
Have been reading everything and havnt had much to say as yet.
The site is assome just wish the local racers didn't know about it.
Will post pic's of car soon may have a aluminum chassie to show off hopefully.
I will be racing the puppy in a month regularly. Indoor track dirt clay mix.
Have to start with brushed for now what brand is that rocket 400 motor???
Any ideas on camber and castor settings?? And what about anti squat in the rear?

Trickpatrick

paulangelo
09-15-2005, 10:40 AM
The speed 400 is a Graupner and can be found at www.hobby-lobby.com I ordered mine and hopefully it will come in by Friday. Was really cheap. 9.99 plus shipping.

Trickpatrick
09-15-2005, 08:16 PM
The speed 400 is a Graupner and can be found at www.hobby-lobby.com I ordered mine and hopefully it will come in by Friday. Was really cheap. 9.99 plus shipping.

is the rocket the same brand ?????

mOOsE
09-15-2005, 09:04 PM
nope, rocket is different. but it is considered a 400 motor and its listed under Brushed motors section for Elec flight accessories I believe

Trickpatrick
09-15-2005, 11:52 PM
nope, rocket is different. but it is considered a 400 motor and its listed under Brushed motors section for Elec flight accessories I believe

I saw it there but it dosn't say who makes it.
I want to have LHS order it for me but dont know how to tell him what brand it is so he can get them in.

Anyone??

ThX
Trick

mOOsE
09-16-2005, 01:12 AM
He will have to order it from hobby-lobby international. If they don't make orders form them , they cannot get it anywhere else....I used to work for Hobbytown and that is where I learned of this website.

pawn one
09-24-2005, 06:27 AM
If you wont more speed don’t waist your time with the 400 class motor go with a trinity wild monster 380 I got my H8 today and I tried both the trinity 380 and the groupner 400 speed and the 380 trinity is much faster with only a little less low end almost not noticeable until the battery starts to die

mOOsE
09-24-2005, 03:42 PM
Don't know about that one....Are you sure you tested the 400 4.8 motor? and how much is that trinity.........the 400's only go for 9-14 bucks

46u
09-24-2005, 10:45 PM
Anything has to be better then stock as I think one of my stock Mini-Z’s on pavement would blow it away. How much faster is the 400 speed then stock? All so does any one have a link on the trinity. I am going to get better motor and an 8 cell pack

mat3833
09-25-2005, 01:14 AM
from what i have heard, just save your money and get a batt, then just go brushless. the money you spend on motors and other things you could have a brushless.

Matt

46u
09-25-2005, 02:11 AM
from what i have heard, just save your money and get a batt, then just go brushless. the money you spend on motors and other things you could have a brushless.

Matt

Being either way you need a battery pack no matter what motor you run and a 400 speed motor is only around $9 I do not see where I would be out much trying a 400 speed motor. I am not sure I want to put a brush less in and by the time you buy the brush less motor, ESC, receiver and a servo you better plain on around $175 to $200 or more. I was not happy with my Micro RS4 after I build it and after putting a Pro PK 370 in it, which is a brush motor, I can keep up with most 1/10 brush motor cars. So I want to try cheap first with my half 8. :D

mat3833
09-26-2005, 12:31 AM
i understand you want to stay cheap, but i would just go brushless, thats what im doing, and did w/ my mini t. i just like brushless, its better in every aspect. that is just my opinion, but either way it is better than nothing! good luck with ur H8.

Matt

46u
09-26-2005, 01:01 AM

Matt

Please read you own post. You infer what money I will be spending on a brush motor I could go brush less. What I am saying this is not so and what it will cost to try a speed 400 is not much and not any where near what it would cost to go brush less. With shipping the most it would be is around $18 now if you know where I can get a brush less set up, receiver and servo for that please let me know. I am not saying I will never go brush less but with my micro RS4 I am happy with the brush motor so I am seeing if I find a brush motor I like for the half 8 as I have other place I would rather spend my money with my RC stuff. If cheap was what I was looking for I would not have 8 to 9 thousand or more in my RC stuff as well as spend 2 or 3 hundred a month on my RC stuff. No offense and none taken.

mat3833
09-26-2005, 06:05 PM
sorry that first post was my lil brother, i didnt see it. i do kno that it is expensive to go brushless, but you can do it for around 175-200. mamba escs can be found on ebay for around 70, aons are 50 (or is it 60?) then you get an am receiver (so you can use your stock tx) 20-30, and then get a servo hs85 is like 30 at my LHS but im not shure how much it is where you live. that is 170 if you go lowest price and 190 if you go highest. now i kno that is alot to spend but as i said i would just go brushless and those prices are just estimates, you can probobly fing that stuff cheaper on the "bay". i dont want to start anything and i will be changing my password so my brother cant post randomly. and no offense was taken and none ment. now can we all just get along!! :p

Matt

46u
09-26-2005, 06:30 PM
No harm done or implied. Not a good idea to give others your passwords! Have seen letting others use your password get people in big trouble. Not only that it is against somes places polices. As I stated before the expense is not a prime concern. I found a brush motor that makes me very happy for my micro RS4, which is very fast, and still control able. The car is 1/18 and will run with most 1/10 brushed motor cars. No it is not as fast as a brush less but very fast. I like speed but I all so like having control so for more then what trying a couple of brush motors cost I want to experiment.

If I want all out speed I can drop my new .18 TZ in one of my nitro vehicles and I am going to build a 1/10 electric buggy with a brush less to the tune of $700 to $800 not counting the TX.

Thanks for your input and opinion.

mat3833
09-26-2005, 06:34 PM
no problen. and my brother found out my password, i was just to lazy to change it!! controlable is hard when looking at 1/18. my mini t would hit 80 regularly. and it would go through a set of tires each run. i could wheely for as long as i wanted (if the rear didnt come around) and i could set it for track use. i loved it but then i ordered a H8 and sold it.... RIP mini t. :D

Matt

mOOsE
09-26-2005, 09:44 PM
80? got any radar vids?

mat3833
09-26-2005, 10:32 PM
no, i had one of it doing a wheely from the end of my street until i lost it like 300 ft away. i had to find it by sonor! i kno 80 is hard to beleive but an 8000 and 3cell lipo will do it. i modded the motor plate so i could add bigger pinions. i had an xray 23 on it w/ a 58 spur. i could get 1 or 2 passes before it got realy hot and i had to put on a car cooler. if you choose not to beleive me i wont get offended. but if you could have seen it.... it was beautiful :( . but alas i sold it to get a H8. o well i will have a fun time getting my H8 to hit 80!! (i kno not possible)

Matt

46u
10-03-2005, 01:32 AM

The bad thing is shipping is all most as much as the motor. :(

46u
10-03-2005, 02:08 AM
The rocket with shipping will end up costing me as much as a X speed with shipping. How much faster is the Rocket then the X speed? All so which one has the most torque?

WeatherB
10-03-2005, 02:17 AM
I'd also like to know the speed difference between these motors:

Speed 400 4.8volts
X-Speed
Rocket 400

I know the Rocket 400 is the fastest of the group but by how much?

mOOsE
10-03-2005, 05:28 AM
I'd also like to know the speed difference between these motors:

Speed 400 4.8volts
X-Speed
Rocket 400

I know the Rocket 400 is the fastest of the group but by how much?

In order of fastest to slowest:
1. Speed 400 4.8 volt
2. Rocket 400
3. Xspeed

All three motors have adjustable timing but the rocket is the easiest to adjust, allowing slightly better performance. The speed difference between the rocket and the 4.8 400 is roughly 2mph while the difference between the xspeed and the rocket is roughly 2-3mph as well. These are estimated because all three motors are mass produced with each one putting out different numbers in terms of performance. Its possible to have a rocket be the faster motor but then again you could also get a 400 4.8v thats not a BBQ grill powerplant. The biggest issue is the heat. a 400 4.8 will get into the 200F range and requires tons of air flow. the stock esc can be used with this motor if you remove the plastic head and again, PROVIDE TONS OF AIR FLOW. Otherwise you risk damaging the esc and will most likely melt the epoxy in the motor. If you want something thats not going to get into the kalvin temps zones, go brushless or with a 400 6v motor. It will be slightly faster than stock but retain the same temps. I have been searching for different brushed motors that could be used but have had no luck so far. If I do find a performance motor that stays cooler, you can be sure I will test it and report back.

Inferno454
10-03-2005, 06:55 AM
how do u adjust timing? and has anyone got their hands on that darn LRP motor yet?

mOOsE
10-03-2005, 07:14 AM
On the graupner motors, you have to make a tool that fits into the two small holes in the endbell. You then rotate the motor enbell to increase or decrease rpm....kinda iffy process if you can't measure at least amp draw or rpm
on the rocket, timing is a snap. You can use regular needle-nose pliers to rotate the endbell and its idiotproof as far as the amount of timing.

WeatherB
10-03-2005, 12:37 PM
Thanks mOOse.

I found my Graupner 400 4.8volt had decent speed with the stock gearing and temps were not too bad after about 5 minutes of running (120°F). I do have 1/2 of a 540 heatsink glued to the motor (waiting for my 400 heatsink from HK).

However, the stock ESC had problems with this motor and 8-cell pack. It would overheat after about 5-7 minutes (even without the plastic heat and with air holes). I temped it when the temp protection kicked in at insane temp of 220°

I ordered the Futaba MC230CR to use. I was very close to getting the Mamba package but for a $120CAN less, I thought why bother and stuck with the brushed. Like you said, you can't go wrong with $9 motors. It would suck to melt / kill one of those brushless motors.

snoopyspaz
10-24-2005, 10:10 PM
Hi guys, saw this thread and thought i'd give my $.02. I've ran the k4 and the graupner speed400 4.8v. Oh, should also say I've ran both in my rc18t. Both are good motors, speed400 smokes the k4 though. I originally had a speed400 with a 2.3mm adaptor to run 1/10 pinions (15/60 gearing). This truck is fast but over heated after about 10 minuts of running and irritated me to death. finally killed the motor (after about 5 months of constant speed runs and bashing), bought another but also bought a mini-quake heat sink and haven't had any over heating issues since. I'm really happy with what I have here and I wanted to put my spare speed400 in the half 8 but still contemplating just putting in my k4 to see if there is much difference of stock. I'm not using it at the moment and have two stockers sitting at the moment. Anyway, I guess that's just my experiences thus far and hope someone benefits from it :) oh speeds in the rc18twith this gearing and a 7-cell gp1100 pack is easly in the 30-35mph range but not proven, it's just so cool to see it take off and disappear :)

Peter

JEXTEL
11-21-2005, 10:59 PM
Implan ordering the Mini Inferno Next week w/oil shocks and some type of motor

I want the Rocket but I dont know where to get it? At hobby-lobby all I see is the Speed 400

mOOsE
11-22-2005, 07:49 PM
Implan ordering the Mini Inferno Next week w/oil shocks and some type of motor

I want the Rocket but I dont know where to get it? At hobby-lobby all I see is the Speed 400
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/speed400.htm
bottom of page

JEXTEL
11-22-2005, 08:25 PM
Thanks I wasnt sure if that was it or not...

Myrslakt
12-01-2005, 01:42 AM
Trickpatrick and a few others wanted to know (a while back) who manufactures the Rocket 400... And I happen to know!
It's a british company called "MFA como drills" (www.mfacomodrills.com)
They have a model called "RE380" which they also sell to the RC community under the name Rocket 400!
I know this for a fact 'cause I've triple-checked it with 'em... poor guys :)
For us Europeans (any?) this is a good thing because they're selling them for £4.49 incl. VAT
I've ordered four of them myself :), but they've not arrived yet, so I can't comment on their quality... I just trust the guys in this forum!