PDA

View Full Version : AON 5800 Killer Series Motor

hkopium
07-26-2005, 03:06 AM
Okay, I am planning to buy another brushless motor... as my Mamba 8000kv is only good for onroad drag racing. :o

On rough road with hills and slopes, it sucks major!!! :mad:

AON seems to be a good choice as many members claimed that it is a "direct fit".

Some questions before I place my order:

(1) AON 4900 uses the same Kyosho stock Pinion? No trimming or sanding? Kyosho X-Speed and AON4900 are both 2mm shaft size? If not, what Pinion can be used? And what size is recommended (9T, 10T, 11T or 12T)?

(2) Is there drawback or bad experience with AON4900 on H8 + Mamba 25 ESC?

(3) How much faster is AON4900 over X-speed? Like... worth the $$$ to go for it?

(4) Dunno much about the structure of brushless motor. 4900 has bearing installed?

(5) Is there any other color other than RED? I hate RED color... and the website shows only red color things... even the heatsink is RED. :eek: Is there any other heatsink I can use on this red robin hood?

I know these questions may have been asked before but I don't want to go thru 50 threads to find the answers... Besides, I really want to know how "direct fit" is it. You know, some people may define hammering, drilling, welding ... etc as "direct fit". ;)

Thanks brothers/sisters.

signats
07-26-2005, 04:03 AM
Besides, I really want to know how "direct fit" is it. You know, some people may define hammering, drilling, welding ... etc as "direct fit". ;)

Thanks brothers/sisters.

You forgot Duct tape!

holy_inferno
07-26-2005, 05:16 AM
(1) AON 4900 uses the same Kyosho stock Pinion? No trimming or sanding? Kyosho X-Speed and AON4900 are both 2mm shaft size? If not, what Pinion can be used? And what size is recommended (9T, 10T, 11T or 12T)?
(2) Is there drawback or bad experience with AON4900 on H8 + Mamba 25 ESC?
(3) How much faster is AON4900 over X-speed? Like... worth the $$$ to go for it?
(4) Dunno much about the structure of brushless motor. 4900 has bearing installed?
(5) Is there any other color other than RED? I hate RED color... and the website shows only red color things... even the heatsink is RED. :eek: Is there any other heatsink I can use on this red robin hood?

Thanks brothers/sisters.
(1) The Xspeed motor has a 2.3mm shaft, Aon 4900 is 2mm...maybe 12t pinion from HPI?
(2) Dunno about that, but I've only heard about good things for the Aon, even though I find it kinda expensive
(3) Dunno that either, but it IS faster than the Xspeed
(4) Most BL motors have bearings... Do you just use normal bearing lube to lube the bearings on the shaft? How do you maintain a brushless motor?
(5) Heh RED is my favorite color :D
...I think your Mamba 8000 is having trouble because the amount of aluminum parts that you put on your Mini Inferno
...Wasn't much of a help :)
Aon 4900 is a direct fit without mods...

.5x8
07-26-2005, 05:21 AM
(1) use a rc18t 11t pinion....youhave to grind it a bit so it sits nice and good though
(3) will take on the x-speed any time, i can do backflips with my h8 =] all u need is a nice curved rap with a nice lip! lolz
5. you can use a 3racing heatsink...ask ascubie to sell you one..he has a gunmetal one..i wanted it..but i bought my motor with a heatsink and it was blue so yeh...its nice though x] i am pretty sure you can use any heatsink that would fit a 380 size motor...just make sure it doesnt block the body from mounting on. or interferes with anything
mamba will have trouble getting the h8 going even without alloy parts....

holy_inferno
07-26-2005, 05:26 AM
(1) use a rc18t 11t pinion....youhave to grind it a bit so it sits nice and good though
(3) will take on the x-speed any time, i can do backflips with my h8 =] all u need is a nice curved rap with a nice lip! lolz
5. you can use a 3racing heatsink...ask ascubie to sell you one..he has a gunmetal one..i wanted it..but i bought my motor with a heatsink and it was blue so yeh...its nice though x]
mamba will have trouble getting the h8 going even without alloy parts....
...The HPI Micro RS4 pinion will fit the Aon without mods, and you will not need to grind down anything...
...Own a Mamba 6800...no issues with cogging or anything...not even HEAT.

.5x8
07-26-2005, 05:29 AM
whoaa...weird...lol..o well..my aon 4900 will take on any mamba in a h8...

maxxenitout
07-26-2005, 06:03 AM
I don't like the color red either so I had to have it covered up check out these pics....
Side view
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y210/maxxenitout/P1010051.jpg
Top view
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y210/maxxenitout/P1010049.jpg
and Mounted...
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y210/maxxenitout/3r4.jpg
I used the 3racing heatsinks for 280 sized motors they are all over ebay for the Rc18t...

hkopium
07-26-2005, 06:23 AM
...The HPI Micro RS4 pinion will fit the Aon without mods, and you will not need to grind down anything...
...Own a Mamba 6800...no issues with cogging or anything...not even HEAT.

I happened to have a HPI MicroRS 9T pinion sitting around. Would you receommend to use a bigger one like 11T?

Hmm... which is faster? Mamba 6800 sounds like higher rpm than a 4900. But I heard many people complain about 6800 has heat problem too. And its small size (diameter) is concerning me... small diameter motor = less torque. True?

Yes... my H8 is heavy as a pig but I love shinny pretty metal parts. Now I have to pick a good motor for it. Too bad AON has no 5400 or even 6800 motor in its Thrust series. Will there be one? Can someone kindly ask AON? :p

hkopium
07-26-2005, 06:24 AM
I don't like the color red either so I had to have it covered up check out these pics....
I used the 3racing heatsinks for 280 sized motors they are all over ebay for the Rc18t...

Lovely!!! I will put that heatsink on my shopping list for sure. Thanks for the tips.

Red... YUuuuUCK!!!

hkopium
07-26-2005, 06:26 AM
whoaa...weird...lol..o well..my aon 4900 will take on any mamba in a h8...

AON 4900 is faster than Mamba 6800? Judging from the figure, 6800 > 4900

But I bet AON has more torque, much more.

holy_inferno
07-26-2005, 06:46 AM
Depends on gearing, I'm no expert in anything RC, the Mini Inferno's my first RC...
I think that the Mamba 6800 with 11t pinion is equal or faster than an Aon 4900 with 12t...but I think the smaller Mamba will have slower acceleration because of lower torque...
higher pinion tooth = faster, slower acceleration, more heat, (more cogging issues?)
I think Aon has a 5800 motor that fits
:)

hkopium
07-26-2005, 06:59 AM
Depends on gearing, I'm no expert in anything RC, the Mini Inferno's my first RC...
I think that the Mamba 6800 with 11t pinion is equal or faster than an Aon 4900 with 12t...but I think the smaller Mamba will have slower acceleration because of lower torque...
higher pinion tooth = faster, slower acceleration, more heat, (more cogging issues?)
I think Aon has a 5800 motor that fits
:)

The 5800 does fit? I see its website has a 5800 and a 580L motors (dunno their differences though) but they are 3.x mm in shaft size. So I suspect the motor themselves are bigger in size... can aanyone verify if these two motors can be used in H8 without mod (direct fit)?

signats
07-26-2005, 10:17 AM
Don't get caught up in those Kv numbers, the numbers are not directly compairable unless the motors are from the same company and within the same sieries of motors (like the 4 Mamba motors).

Using Kv numbers alone to compare a Mamba to an Aon is fairly worthless data, there is a lot more to it (technology wise) than that. Many hobbiest seem to be sheep when it comes to thinking it must be faster, because it has a bigger Kv number on it, and that is just not how it works where the rubber meets the road.

A small blurb about the 5800 Aon is in this post: http://www.halfeight.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4348&postcount=26 , it is from page 3 of this great thread about the Aon motors: http://www.halfeight.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343&page=1&pp=10

hkopium
07-26-2005, 11:08 AM
Thanks Signats for your info and links. So AON 4900 can beat the Mamba 6800?

I might try the 5800 if I could find a good confirmation on:-

(1) It does direct fit on H8; and
(2) Pinion type (brand and size)

How can I contact that Steven guy?

signats
07-26-2005, 01:16 PM
Thanks Signats for your info and links. So AON 4900 can beat the Mamba 6800?

I might try the 5800 if I could find a good confirmation on:-

(1) It does direct fit on H8; and
(2) Pinion type (brand and size)

How can I contact that Steven guy?

Yes, yes it can.

Just going by the dimensions of the motor can, it should fit just fine.

.5 pitch metric pinions with a 1/8th inch bore, I have no clue about.

Did you miss the part about this motor being overkill for this application?

Find Steven here: http://www.aonelectric.com/Contact/contact.htm

or click on theturd to see his profile here: http://www.halfeight.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4274&postcount=21

hkopium
07-26-2005, 01:49 PM
Thanks for all the help bro, will contact Steve right away! :D