PDA

View Full Version : Sliiping slipper clutch

liquidsky
07-24-2005, 03:07 PM
I just upgraded my motor to the option one and im using a lipo 2 cell. Im having problem with the slipper clutch its slipping all the time i even have tighten it to the 4 mm mark. The car just wont move/accelerates as my sons rc18 just smokes it. What am i doing wrong here? Should i just glue the slipper clutch or what?

.5x8
07-24-2005, 04:09 PM
-_-" not to be harsh, but read the forums...but ill tell you anyways...first of all....super glue the slipper clutch..THEN tighten ALL the way down...but you might try to tighten it all the way down first to experiement if it slips or not before you take it out and super glue it. (if you plan on using the motor you use now for a while)

Magnum P.I.
07-24-2005, 04:56 PM
i wonder if you drilled 2-3 small screws into it it would hold up better.

dway
07-24-2005, 05:40 PM
Here is how I did mine. Get an Associated slipper pad and cut it into small pieces - about 1/8 inch. Scuff the slipper washer on both sides. Super glue the pieces to one side of the washer and trim off any excess. Then glue the other side of the washer to the small gear that drives the center diff. Make sure the washer will still fit into the larger gear and then reassemble everything. I did mine this way the other day and it works great.

mOOsE
07-24-2005, 06:08 PM
I have to agree with .5x8...Try to search before posting. The slipper issue was covered way back around release and there are more and more postings about the same issue.

signats
07-24-2005, 09:12 PM
Welcome to halfEight.com Forums liquidsky!

dway and I think alike on this one.

Instead of cutting the pad into pieces, I used a leather punch to produce 8 small slipper pad discs, then glued the metal washer to the small gear and loaded the slipper discs into the large gear (just sitting in the groove, not glued at all) and then slammed the whole thing back together.

Still had to tighten the adjustment nut down until the spring was completely collapsed, plus just a little more, but the effect is perfect, the slipper does it's job by protecting the drive line, yet it is completely invisible when driving the buggy, and the setting never changes. :)

I don't get on the soapbox very often but today I'm feelin' froggy sooo......IN MY OPINION:

Telling newbies to "do a search" is elitest and rude.

These people should be made to feel welcome here just as you were when you were new.

They ARE allowed to ask any question they want, this is an open public forum where like minded people come to exchange ideas and experiences about TOY CARS.

If you don't like the question then please just move on and let someone else answer, this is a very, very small community so there is no reason to be rude to anyone, and if there is a real problem or issue with the thread then let the moderators take care of it! After all that is what they are here for, and ya never know when someone might come up with a new solution to an old problem, do you?!

I would rather see genuine posts by new members of the group seeking solutions for common problems than another Ego stroking: lookie at my bling, bling buggy boieezzzz, i gotz lolz$$$ innit dudezzzz!! post (Just my OPINION here, flame away if you feel you must.) Either post is welcome, however I find it very easy to skip over the ego strokin' bull shite posts and focus positive energy on the part of the hobby that interests me the most (and you should too!) like finding solutions to common problems and sharing those solutions with the new peeps to the hobby..............So sorry about the speech, but today I just felt like I had to let it out!

All toghther now: WELCOME TO THE halfEIGHT.com FORUM liquidsky, make yourself right at home and ask ANYTHING YOU LIKE! :eek: :D ;)

Ok, enough of that crap, here are some pics of my slipper modification and the leather punch that was used to make the slipper discs:

maxxenitout
07-24-2005, 11:11 PM
On topics:
I wish I had a leather punch..lol.
Off topic:
I kind of agree with the statement by signats...

Telling newbies to "do a search" is elitest and rude.
and I think I may have been guilty of doing the same thing in the past and kind of felt like a jerk after doing it. So to be alittle more helpfull I have been posting links to the thread to help the person out. I know it's more work but it's worth the time helping a newbie enjoy his mini inferno more than before...
Just my worthless .02 :D

.5x8
07-25-2005, 12:57 AM
i didnt mean to be rude, but i mean come on, i think i remember seeing slipper mods a while ago on the 3rd or 4th page.

but i am just saying, you might want to read the forums first, but i help them out anyways, suggesting what to do, or waht i did.

signats
07-25-2005, 01:15 AM
i didnt mean to be rude, but i mean come on, i think i remember seeing slipper mods a while ago on the 3rd or 4th page.

but i am just saying, you might want to read the forums first, but i help them out anyways, suggesting what to do, or waht i did.

If the topic is so old that it has fallen off of the first page, then what is so wrong with bringing it around again?

In the time that it took for the topic to fall off of the first page, there might just have been some fresh thinking applied to the old problem, and that fresh thinking can result in a creative solution which every mini-inferno enthusiast can possibly benifit from.

Kind of like it did in this thread. :)

WhoMe
07-25-2005, 01:43 AM
I agree with Signats. Ask away..Anyway also make sure you havent stripped out the inside part of the differentials outdrive. I just did that and I thought it was the slipper at first. Oh and dont super glue the slipper and lock it up..thats ghetto.

maxxenitout
07-25-2005, 02:41 AM
I remember not to long ago when you and I where asking all the same types of questions.... Questions that where coverered in several threads and we where both getting answers and not being flamed on. Now both of us have helpful info that may help keep there inferno's running and it's kind of our duty...lol.. to help them out.

Now its up to .05 cents of my worthless opinion ;)

acsubie
07-25-2005, 02:45 AM
I remember not to long ago when you and I where asking all the same types of questions.... Questions that where coverered in several threads and we where both getting answers and not being flamed on. Now both of us have helpful info that may help keep there inferno's running and it's kind of our duty...lol.. to help them out.

Now its up to .05 cents of my worthless opinion ;)

i was gonna say the same thing, i think 5x8 is really taking that 500 post count to the head a bit much

.5x8
07-25-2005, 02:50 AM
heheh :D

whome why not super glue the slipper? it works! lol

i dont know why kyosho put in a slipper clutch anyways....1/8th scale cars have 3 diffs..and no slipper....the car would be even faster if the pinion was meshed right on the center diff...lolz

WhoMe
07-25-2005, 03:30 AM
Your reasoning is alittle off base. 8th scale buggies have sealed gear diffs that allow for the use of silicone diff fluid to ajust differential slip action. The half eight only has standard open gear diffs. The car needs alittle bit of slip so that you dont rip the diffs to pieces under high load. (I.E. Ripping the outdrives cups and or tearing the plastic gears to pieces) Also the slipper allows for greater control in racing conditions. While tightening the slipper is recommended, glueing it pretty much robs you of the ability to adjust the amount of slippage a racer needs for different track conditions.

Hawk
07-25-2005, 05:22 AM
Since you brought up 1/8 scale nitro buggys as a comparison, well don't forget they also have a clutch besides the three differentials. The clutch is designed to SLIP. Most people think of it in terms of punch off the line or engagement rpm for the engine power curve. It also acts as a shock absorber for the difference in speed of the engine and the drive train.

:D By the way, I pointed this out in the last discussion about slipper clutches so before you post that again, perhaps you should review the previous posts, OH, that's right, you are the same guy that said that then. But wait, don't you remember eveything that is posted here in detail. I know I don't.
So I will suggest to .5x8 what I suggested when he posted as a newbie and somebody said go read the archives, if you know that it is posted somewhere, link to it, quote it or sumarize it. Just stick with the topic or skip it. No snobs on board, please! :cool:
Just be helpful with people that didn't remember the that the circumfrence is Pi x D and that Pi should be rounded at about 3.14159 for most casual uses. When you try to figure out the gearing changes you need to make because you put those big 1/10th wheels and tires on and altered the running of you buggy without realizing it.

liquidsky
07-25-2005, 05:56 AM
My bad for asking the questions/issue twice. I was just too mad about this little inferno. I will try doing the suggested mod in this forum. Anyway, thanks guys for the reply.

mOOsE
07-25-2005, 06:24 AM
Yeah, sorry guys. I didn't mean for it to come across mean or anything. I meant more along the fact that its a known issue and meant to link to the topic but got sidetracked. Working on the real car right now too. But since I left that out the first time, here is a good thread about the slipper http://www.halfeight.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136&highlight=slipper
There are many different threads about this issue but this one has some good ideas and should fix your problem. I thinks its about time for a slipper clutch sticky.

signats
07-25-2005, 03:46 PM
heheh :D

whome why not super glue the slipper? it works! lol

i dont know why kyosho put in a slipper clutch anyways....1/8th scale cars have 3 diffs..and no slipper....the car would be even faster if the pinion was meshed right on the center diff...lolz

It works for driving around on your driveway, and lawn, but just try jumping a 15' double and landing with power on 40 or 50 times in a day and see how long your drive train holds up.

The slipper will be even more important when we get ball diffs. that is unless you like doing lots and lots of diff. maintenance and replacing parts all the time. The only way around that will be to run the diff settings so tight that vehicle performance will be sacrificed.

.5x8 did you ever think that your gear mesh might be shifting because there is no give in your system any more? One big hit and the surge in motor torque just pushes the pinion away from the spur.........it's possible, think about it, something has to give.

There is a reason that every single electric competition level off-road buggy and truck (2wd or 4wd) all have slipper clutches integrated into their respective drive systems.

Electric motors generate maximum torque at 0 rpm, or when the rotor is stalled, and that is what happens when the buggy drops outta the sky from a big jump where the throttle has to be pinned (to keep the nose up) and there is no slip in the system, well....... something HAS to give, think about that next time you strip your gears out, or when your outdrives are galled and no longer functioning properly.

The motor sees a huge load and provides a huge surge in torque which is only made possible with a huge surge in amp rate, so your batteries and motor will heat up at a much faster rate as well.

The drive train you desire is available (minus the center diff) and has been since last November, it is in a little vehicle called the RC18t, and if you ever own a high power version of the 18t, then you would be aware that the H8 has a superior drivetrain setup for both durability and performance.

It may seem like we are all pickin' on you, but that is not the case, we are trying to give a broader perspective of the slipper situation based on our collective experiences in this hobby, as a basher your perspective, is going to be far different (perhaps narrower?) than the perspective of someone with years and years of experience racing RC cars, no?

The great thing about all of this is that we can, as a (diverse) little band of pirates, find a way to share our collective knowlege and lessons learned to work out the bugs in this extremely innovative and cool little car and make ownership of it just that much more fun and rewarding, ye ken shipmate?

Arrrrr, ye Scalleywag, now go play with yer buggy. Cap'n Signats demands it! :D

Hawk
07-25-2005, 04:04 PM
I have learned something from everybody that has posted on this forum. I really appreciate the willingness to try new things and to jump in where no one else has had the courage or limited brain to try. I just don't want it to get narrowed by critical comments about what was posted. I want more posts that have replys with ideas, thoughts or stupid stories about what happened when you did the same thing.
There are some near genious stuff going on here and a lot of other stuff too. I have fun with the other stuff and try to figure out the rest. I hope I am able to pick up just one more good idea somebody presents here and make use of it. Thanks for all that stuff guys. Some is pretty funny and some is interesting but mostly it feels like friends talking trash and having a good time. Let's keep it like that. :cool:

.5x8
07-25-2005, 10:24 PM
sorry for being rude, aiite, ill think about doing something else about the slipper...hmm i might do that slipper pad thing...glue the washer to the smaller gear...and cut the pad to fit the bigger gear..hmm

o i get it now signats..thanks..so i giess ill try that slipper thing did. thanks alot. i wonder when the shop is gonna come in with atomic parts..(i need alloy slipper gears..stripped it cuz of a big crash and for some reason the motor got loose and yeh...)

btw, what pad did you use? slipper pads from the associated b4?

liquidsky
07-26-2005, 04:51 AM
Signat - I would like to try to do your mod but i was wondering if it would fold or bunch up inside there since u didnt glue it? What ive done so far is scrapping the washer so it has some grooves and so far its been great. But i would like to do your mod later tonite.

eer, maybe another repeat question..hehe. Is the x-speed motor just a so so motor? cause my sons rc18t still smokes my half8 :confused: Should i just upgrade to the mamba combo? Current setup is: x speed motor, standard esc, 7.4 1250mAh lipo cells.

Everyone - Im new to this electric scene, so bare with me guys, and yes i will try to do a search first before posting ;) . It seems that electric r/c is more complicated than my 1/8 scale nitro where u just need to fiddle with the carbs and punch your way!

.5x8
07-26-2005, 05:14 AM
i tell you what....go to www.aonelectric.com and get http://www.aonelectric.com/eShop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=T241549-Mamba

it will smoke ur son's rc18t....i dont recommend going with a mamba package...the link i gave u, has a mamba 25 esc, but is a aon 4900 motor....the mamba has heat problems and struggles moving the h8. so get the package i recommend, its REALLY fast witht he 8 nimh cells..and i cant imagine how fast it is with ur lipo, so check that out, i am sure anyone with a aon 4900 in their h8 will also agree with me on the combo i recommended

holy_inferno
07-26-2005, 05:35 AM
Aww...c'mon .5x8, with everything you buy, you recommend the manufacturer you bought it from, and tells every new person here that they should buy it...soon, everyone will have near exact Mini Infernos as you...

.5x8
07-26-2005, 05:37 AM
but i want him to have a good experience..not have a weak accelerating h8! iTS ALL ABOUT THE FUN!! XD he can decide what he wants..im just recomending it!

acsubie
07-26-2005, 06:48 AM
Aww...c'mon .5x8, with everything you buy, you recommend the manufacturer you bought it from, and tells every new person here that they should buy it...soon, everyone will have near exact Mini Infernos as you...

5x8 i'll do the honors..LOL LOL LOL

holy_inferno
07-26-2005, 06:52 AM
5x8 i'll do the honors..LOL LOL LOL
That's the reason why I stay away from Instant Messaging Chats, all the abbreviations gets annoying... :D

signats
07-26-2005, 09:37 AM
Signat - I would like to try to do your mod but i was wondering if it would fold or bunch up inside there since u didnt glue it? What ive done so far is scrapping the washer so it has some grooves and so far its been great. But i would like to do your mod later tonite.

The little discs can't fold, or get bunched up because they are squished in there so very tightly once the adjustment is properly set.

The original adjustment was done after it was modified, with the slipper assembly out of the car, by holding one gear and turning the other, I just went by feel, and when it felt tight enough to make the car accelerate briskly without slipping, but not overly tight enough to break the drive line, I let it be.

About 1/2 way through the first run, with it at that setting, I noticed that it was slipping when the buggy was accelerating (on a very high traction surface).

I could hear it making a whispering or slipping sound and the buggy had mildly subdued acceleration, so I stopped driving and the adjustment nut was tightened a little more, and that is where the setting has remained for going on about 3 weeks now.

The final adjustment had the nut tightened until the spirng was completely collapsed, and then about 1/8 of a turn more.

The x-speed will need an 8 nimh cell battery pack (9.6 volts) to come to life, on 7.4v it is not going to impress.

.5x8 is not the only one touting the Aon motors, everyone that has one is seemingly very happy with the performance of that motor, so I think it's a pretty safe bet at this pioint to say that it will make the half8 haulass.

Electric is just different than nitro, and while learning about the differences it may seem more complicated, but IMHO at the end of the day it is easier, cleaner, and a lot less annoying to any non-RC enthusiasts that happen to be within earshot.

It don't smell nearly as good as nitro though! :D

holy_inferno
07-27-2005, 04:45 AM
...Is it the nitro, or the synthetic oil that make nitro fuels so expensive?

BitHed
07-29-2005, 05:15 AM
...nice thread ;) All sorts of fun things in this one...IN THEORY i should get my a$$ into gear and focus everything on the FAQ page...I am in my summer vacation so I should be able to get something done...

...I too am guilty of asking / telling newbies to do a search, in fact i did it this morning again somewhere, but there is a way of talking that is 'harsh' and a way of wording it 'nicely' :rolleyes:

holy_inferno
07-29-2005, 05:30 AM
What I think is the "Harsh" way to tell newbies to do a search: "Use the search function and search around the forums to find your answer, newbie, we don't have time to help you." "Nice" wording to tell newbies to search, "The forums is a library of information, and most questions have been answered in threads sometime earlier, so try searching to find the answer to your questions first, and if you can't, the community will be glad to help you." :) :D

.5x8
07-29-2005, 05:44 AM
lmao thats what you say inferno :D lolz

BitHed
07-29-2005, 05:44 AM
...oh goody :D That how i worded it ;) I will reload windows into my home PC over the weekend and start doing some work and arranging this scary mess of reponses...All monetary donations can be paid to my paypal :o

plain_simple
07-29-2005, 03:00 PM
eheheheheh donations?! :D