PDA

View Full Version : Diff joints w/ ball diffs,? Or not??

R32dude
07-19-2005, 03:58 PM
Does anyone know for sure? I'm assuming that 3Racing's upcoming ball diffs come with aluminum outdrives by looking at the pictures. I'm debating whether or not to buy the TI outdrives, #MIF-038A, to go with my TI center dogbones, my thinking being that the TI on TI rather than TI on Aluminum might cause less wear over time! This is just my theory, does anyone know for sure? Thanks :)

plain_simple
07-19-2005, 06:09 PM
As you surely know... Ti is a mineral used on the fabric process of the material usually knowned as titanium... seems like a stupid statement doesnt it?! :D but....
In fact the Ti you're talking about is not just Titanium but a mix of 3 diff materials (incluing vanadium) that are blended to produce what we all call Ti... most of the times the brands can even choose what proportions of each of the 3 they want on the Ti so they can get diff reactions like resistance to torsion, lateral flex, resistance to downforces, etc...
Sooooo, in conclusion... Ti is way more flexible and has less resistance memory then the aluminium which means it has a way longer life then aluminium does because it flexs a lot more (funny part is that you dont notice it because that flex is happening between the molecules and you cant see it at naked eye) and the weight issues is also to be considered although sometimes if you want more rigidity on the parts that you have to choisse in which material to get the aluminium is the best answer again.. because it flexs (molecular speaking again) less then the Ti.
Based in what i said i would go for the Ti/Ti option.
Hope that i helped you in anyway on that decision... ;)

acsubie
07-19-2005, 07:05 PM
yea i was leaning toward them Ti outdrives also, but i wanted to make sure they would work on the up and coming 3racing diffs with the alloy outdrives

about them Ti center dogbones? wouldnt happen to know how much they weight would ya? cause after weighing in my stocker they are just about a 1/2 gram each and i couldnt imagine anything being lighter?

mOOsE
07-19-2005, 07:54 PM
yeah thos ball diffs look pretty sweet. and you can't beat the 15 dollar tag either. Hopefully they work ok on the first production run..because I will hop on those the second they hit ebay.

BitHed
07-19-2005, 10:13 PM
...Have to go with plain=simple on this one....Ti/Ti or AL/AL...keeps it easy in the long run...

..Its probably NOT an issue at this level plus our parts are all moving but sometimes AL doesnt like to be in touch with Ti for a long time...They get some funky oxidising going on and they CAN cease up...but i dont think its an issue here...

Hawk
07-19-2005, 11:11 PM
Does anyone know for sure? I'm assuming that 3Racing's upcoming ball diffs come with aluminum outdrives by looking at the pictures. I'm debating whether or not to buy the TI outdrives, #MIF-038A, to go with my TI center dogbones, my thinking being that the TI on TI rather than TI on Aluminum might cause less wear over time! This is just my theory, does anyone know for sure? Thanks :)

I know this for sure, anything to get rid of the plastic open diffs is far better than stock. If you upgrade the dog bones and drive cups, you just shift the stress relief point to the diff gears. Not a very good trade off. What am I going to do, get the ball diffs and use the aluminum (Titanium color of course) alloy swing shafts. The plastice bones between the f/r diffs and the center diff/slipper goes next.
Running 1/8 buggies, the drive cups wear out (hardened steel) due to the high loads placed in relatively small contact patches of the bones/cup designs. They seem to last reasonably though and no complaints here.

As for Titanium, you often see 64 Titanium or 6,4 Titanium listed for the material. That refers to 6 part Aluminum and 4 parts vanadium to the 90 parts Titanium. That is the most common alloy used unless you have very specific needs in which case you don't need me to tell you this. :cool: The titanium/aluminum bones/cups shouldn't wear any faster than the ti/ti or al/al configurations. If the aluminum is heat treated (T6 specifically) it should have a surface hardness that works in this use.

R32dude
07-20-2005, 05:19 AM
Thanks guys!! ask and I recieve!! Well I already bought the titanium center dogbones but since I havn't installed them yet, I think I'll order the tinanium outdrives just for the center and leave the wheel drives alum. on alum.!! I'm waiting for the diffs and steering assembly before installing parts I already have like Titanium hingepins, titanium steering posts and a alum. front upper suspension mount!!!!! :D

plain_simple
07-20-2005, 11:38 AM
dont forget to get some Ti special grease for those parts or you might ruin them (already saw that happening in mountain bike)
another advice.. use some teflon oil for the outdrives (i use one that is made to lube mountain bike chains that is called dry oil and you can get it in any mountain bike shop) that will left them covered with a nice coat that doesnt attracts any dirt ;)
just my 50 cents lol :D

Hawk
07-20-2005, 04:35 PM
Funny thing, I use White Lighting. Got it at a bicycle shop. A waxy lube that sloughs off with any dirt it picks up instead of grinding it in. When you put it on part of it cleans out the old stuff and the wax is left (with teflon bits) to protect and lubricate. Works great but you do have to apply it after every use. Like I said , the waxy lube stuff sloughs off and you need to renew it. I like it. :cool: