PDA

View Full Version : Breaking-in my X-Speed.

Hammer
07-18-2005, 01:06 AM
I've found a very basic way to break in new motors. If you can run a new motor at 1/2-1/3 votlage for 20 to 30 minutes, it is a very basic way to seat new brushes to the comm. ;)

My new X-Speed and a 6volt break-in setup.

http://halfeight.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=360

holy_inferno
07-18-2005, 03:36 AM
I know that most people break-in their new motors, but what is the purpose of doing the break-in? :)

mOOsE
07-18-2005, 06:06 AM
You want to gently seat the comm and brush connection as well as the bushings. Allowing slow wear/break in of the motor will result in less play in the bushings, better conectivity between the brushes and comm, and longer motor life. I almost forgot one, performance too.

Magnum P.I.
07-18-2005, 01:25 PM
You can do that with like 2-3 cells through the car without the motor hooked into the drivetrain?

Hammer
07-18-2005, 10:45 PM
You can do that with like 2-3 cells through the car without the motor hooked into the drivetrain?I’m not sure I understand your question, however, I wouldn’t recommend using the electronics in your car to break-in a motor. The easiest and cheapest way is to use a AA battery holder as I did. Make up a jumper cable and you can then use 2, 3 or 4 cells, depending on the voltage you need. All of the parts should cost you less than $5.00. ;)

This is a 3 volt configuration using my break-in setup. http://halfeight.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=362&cat=500&page=1

mOOsE
07-18-2005, 11:25 PM
yeah, you should use a constant voltage with no load to reduce heat and keep everything as smooth as possible while running in the motor.

Magnum P.I.
07-19-2005, 12:13 AM
Ok, so directly hook it up to the motor. What lube should i use on it?

BitHed
07-19-2005, 12:24 AM
...I had heard about guys breaking in their 540 motors in a glass of water but i never believed until i saw one one day at the track...darndest thing i have ever seen...this motor going flat out UNDER water...Strange but true...

Hammer
07-19-2005, 12:30 AM
What lube should i use on it?You can find break-in lube, but I don’t think you really need it if you run the motor slow enough during the break-in process. I just use a little compressed air to gently clean the motor after break-in and remove any debris left behind. ;)

Hammer
07-19-2005, 12:35 AM
...I had heard about guys breaking in their 540 motors in a glass of water but i never believed until i saw one one day at the track...darndest thing i have ever seen...this motor going flat out UNDER water...Strange but true...Yeah, that method has been around a long time. It really is hard to believe, but true. The one thing you don’t want to do is leave the motor in the water too long, as soon as it starts to get milky, it’s time to stop. ;)

mOOsE
07-19-2005, 02:06 AM
...I had heard about guys breaking in their 540 motors in a glass of water but i never believed until i saw one one day at the track...darndest thing i have ever seen...this motor going flat out UNDER water...Strange but true...
I used to use that one but it wears out the bushings very quickly. and I mean very quickly. I had a motor that I broke in at 4.8 volts and in 2 minutes, I had about 1mm of play on the armature between the bushings. 1mm isn't a lot but thats wayyyy too much play for a motor.

Magnum P.I.
07-19-2005, 03:24 AM
Ive run motors underwater with a 9v batt and some lil motor i took out of a lil fan. I shocked my self alot but it ran under water

cyberfyn
07-19-2005, 09:07 AM
I break all my aero and heli brushed motors in underwater! It uses a spark erosion method to form the brushes to the comm. It works so quickly though, as soon as the water starts to turn cloudy/dark it's done.... 10-15 mins. Then run the motor at half speed out of the water for a while until warm, give the bearings a lube and off you go.

Still waiting for my H8 and Mamba performance package to arrive, so no running in for me!

Ian F.

Icey.Apple
07-24-2005, 09:21 AM
be sure to dry your motor though... motors don't like it if water stay's behind ^.^ (with it getting rusty and stuff:p)

dark_wing
10-24-2005, 09:43 AM
I've done the break-in in water with my 130 size motor. The clue is that you need distilled water to break-in the motor. The question is if the stock motor could be opened or not (if you can open the motor can) I'm waiting your answer to open mine and do the break-in in distilled water. Thanks for the answers. The advantage of this method is your motor is no going dirty after the break in. The dis advantage is you must dry the rotor and the can and then apply some oil.