PDA

View Full Version : New from Castle Creations (not a motor)

RURC
03-19-2005, 02:40 AM
If you are looking for a full feature receiver for your Mini RC or even one that will run your 1/8 scale, this summer you will have to look no further...

CC has aquired BERG. These guys are the cats ass in the plane side of things. They are the only guys that make recievers smaller than Multiplex. These things are the size of quaters and 3 times as thick. They are sick small. They are also the only other reciever I use. Now CC is going to build these things for surface radios. Yes your favorate fm channels and frequences. You have not seen small till you see this. These make a Novak SPY look like a mountain. They are auto shift sensing so they will work with all systems out (= or -). They are also going to be 4 channel.
:D

BLACKHAWK444
03-19-2005, 02:42 AM
Hmmmm. So I could use it with a Ko Propo Helios 75MHz? And why would they make it 4 channel? Seems kinda pointless for a surface receiver. And do you know what the price will be like?

RURC
03-19-2005, 02:50 AM
No price yet. But I know these guys it will be competive for sure,

The reason for the 4 channel (up to 9) is that they can use the same base structure as the aircraft stuff. Thus saving money in machine tooling and making it cost less in the end. Less parts to account for, stock,and keep track of. For Multiplex the smallest receiver they make is 4 channel also. And if you want to turn lights or what ever you want to do it is there for expansion.

BLACKHAWK444
03-19-2005, 12:16 PM
Ok. Well I will have to see the price, and if it is pretty competitive I might look into it,

Mazda787b
03-19-2005, 01:10 PM
Only FM? What about if you are still on the AM bandwagon?

BitHed
03-19-2005, 01:28 PM
...I voted NO...i had never thought about swapping in SMALLER electronics...The idea is appealing..It ALL depends on price...Even though I am a dealer of parts for this and that you would be surprised how very LITTLE I spend on my own vehicles...Like any good dealer i try to NOT use what i sell...But the MinFerno is a WHOLE other thing ;) I have vowed to myself to not mess this car up with half-assed information...I would rather wait, learn, and listen to the voices of the users...Many of you know what you are talking about in specific areas whereas I dont..So educate me...amaze me, stoopify me...Tell me what i need to know...Thats why i answered NO tto ever thinking of SMALLER equipment :o

WhoMe
03-19-2005, 01:50 PM
Bit your crazy, heh...And thats sounds pretty sweet. For the larger cars it isnt so much of an issue but in micro cars making things smaller is key. Id definatly buy into somthing like that if the price was right. Working with Nomadio and seeing how challenging it seems to be for them to get thier gear down to size I am amazed that a receiver could be that small.

chrille
03-19-2005, 03:00 PM
I voted YES because it`s allways better with smaller electonics! :) But ofcourse, it allso depends on the price...

BLACKHAWK444
03-19-2005, 03:32 PM
If you are still on the AM bandwagon get off of it! :eek: :cool:

Mazda787b
03-19-2005, 03:49 PM
But if you had an iWaver Digital Tx, you'd understand. Plus, if you are just racing, it is no big deal, because you don't have to worry about range issues.

As for a smaller Rx, that would be cool, but what about synthesized? My next radio will be a 3PM TFS Synthesized (God, I love the 3pm/IW Digital Tx), or a XS3 Pro. The 3PM already comes with such a small Rx, If I de-case it it won't be much larger than this one RURC speaks of.

halfEIGHT
03-19-2005, 04:58 PM
RURC, do you have contacts at Castle? Get them over here to post on the Forums! :)

RURC
03-19-2005, 06:54 PM
Only FM? What about if you are still on the AM bandwagon?

Due to the inherant problems with the AM side flyers have been moving away from it for a long time. CC's main business is flyers. This car stuff is vergin terriatory for them.

I think thay hit a real home run with the Mamba (green). For the first time at bat that is. Now with the Maxx and the BERG surface stuff they have to (I know they will) step it up a knotch or 2.

RURC
03-19-2005, 06:59 PM
RURC, do you have contacts at Castle? Get them over here to post on the Forums! :)

Yes I do. And right now I am doing this with their permission. I go back a few years with them and we have a good relationship. I wanted to talk to you and the powers that be (IM) to discuss them. Right now they are about 20 feet deep and do not have time to do a forum. Thuss me for now. So contact me and we will get things going.

BitHed
03-19-2005, 09:16 PM
...aw man...Castle Creations is coming and Bithed is the ONLY one who voted NO??...aw well THAT sux...lol...

RURC
03-19-2005, 10:21 PM
...aw man...Castle Creations is coming and Bithed is the ONLY one who voted NO??...aw well THAT sux...lol...

How's my little mushroom doing? LOL

halfEIGHT
03-20-2005, 01:30 AM
Yes I do. And right now I am doing this with their permission. I go back a few years with them and we have a good relationship. I wanted to talk to you and the powers that be (IM) to discuss them. Right now they are about 20 feet deep and do not have time to do a forum. Thuss me for now. So contact me and we will get things going.

Cool - you have my email and MSN! ;) :)

RURC
03-20-2005, 01:48 AM
Cool - you have my email and MSN! ;) :)

No I dont. I did not save it because you did not give it to me directly. So rather that violate you privacy I just have BitHed. I had his before that conversation.So you can IM me I am listed. I will be here for a while. But in and out to the shop to check on the router I have running.

BitHed
03-20-2005, 02:38 PM
...It'll be interesting to see what comes from this...

Rcdriver
03-20-2005, 07:01 PM
Im always in the market for smaller elecs. I voted YES.

And I thot the Novak rx was small...

adrenalinrush123998
03-20-2005, 09:58 PM
i didnt know what i was voting for....i thought they ment smaller electronics as in switch to a reicever/ESC seperate setup instead of the one..in which case i would
i just dont see why it needs to be that small we have plenty of room inside that car for a regula esc/reiciever so why do we need a small one with foru channels that will be 3X as much money? just because its smaller?
certainly i dont need one..... so when i go up to my friends i can go "check out my riecever i payed $400 for its tiny and takes up no space! not that that matters because i had enoguth space in the beginning for a $75 setup!"

can i have my vote changed?

BitHed
03-20-2005, 10:01 PM
...adrenalin good point...there is lots of room in there and we already know that we can fit 1:10 gear...Do we really NEED to go smaller? Stronger yes but smaller? Usually in this industry smaller means more expensive :(

WhoMe
03-21-2005, 12:15 AM
He said it would be cheap.

RURC
03-21-2005, 05:35 AM
i didnt know what i was voting for....i thought they ment smaller electronics as in switch to a reicever/ESC seperate setup instead of the one..in which case i would
i just dont see why it needs to be that small we have plenty of room inside that car for a regula esc/reiciever so why do we need a small one with foru channels that will be 3X as much money? just because its smaller?
certainly i dont need one..... so when i go up to my friends i can go "check out my riecever i payed $400 for its tiny and takes up no space! not that that matters because i had enoguth space in the beginning for a $75 setup!"

can i have my vote changed?

Your change duely noted.

Adrenalin after postreading this I felt that I need to preface it by telling you that it is not ment as an attack on you. In this I was sharp and direct. I am always sharp and direct. Ask anyone who has been reading my posts or threads for a while. I did not chance the wording because I suck at typeing and I am slow. So please do not take this as my trying to be mean. It is ment to inform as fully as my abilities permit. Thank you. :D

First, electronics means electronics. Rec, ESC, motor, servo. I was refeering to all or some, just smaller. I suspose I could have said "upgrade". But that dose not really mean the same. I ment phtsicly smaller. If you were to buy the receiver and the Mamba you would end up with a system the was a lot less than 1/4 the size of the original.

Second, you dont understand why smaller. I am not going to go to far on this because the asking of that indicated that you do not understand the why getting it smaller is better. If it is smaller it should be lighter (in this case that will be a understatement) agreed. Now if it saves weight you get longer run times, quicker acceleration, better responsoveness, less wear and tare on the chassis compoits, less wear and tare on the electronics, less sprung weight (softer springs adding even less shocking to the chassis and electronics), that is enouf for now. Another small thing. It being small allows you to more readly place it where it has the best effect on the unit as a whole.

4 channels. Did you read any of my previous posts on why they are doing it? What, did you think it is being made for only this car? I have 15 cars that use 3 or more channels. One of them uses 7. The receiver will be used in ANY land based RC. Cars, trucks, monster trucks, tanks (generally 6 to 9 channels), anything with more than just a servo and a ESC. When you really get wild you look at large scale boat builders. I seen them with 18 channel systems. I have a Mini T that I can turn the lights on and off. That needs 3 channels.

I do not know a price but I said it will be competatively priced. I DID NOT SAY CHEAP. Look at the Mamba. MSRP $139. Find a equal quality controller and motor, brushed or brushless. Now in the brushless arena the Mamba is the best deal. Just a Hacker controller has a MSRP of $200. Now the brushed side. Easy $50 to $60 for a equal motor. Now a ESC. Now we are not talking about the cheapest ESC. We need one of EQUAL quality and abilitys. Lets see LRP $99 (Not to mention the new LRP at $349), Novak $95 ETC. Remember we are not talking about a Toys R Us, Nikko RC car here. This receiver will be a high end part not garbage. I am not talking about some cheap Futaba here. But what is a very close equal is the Multiplex Picco 3/4. a 4 channel surface reciever that retails at $85. I buy them at the local shop for $55. The BERG will be equal or better than the Multilpex. I have used almost every system out Futaba, Airtronics, HiTech... I have never found an equal to Multiplex equipment. I sware by it. But I know CC and BERG, these guys want to prove a point. Not to mention an anal commitment to quality. That is why they are bringing the motor building in house. Quality.

Like I said I do not know a price. But I will bet it will come be in the same aera as the Multiplex. I feel it will be less. Multiplex is made in Germany. Ever buy a Porsche? They dont give them away. The CC stuff is American made. In Kansas. By Kansasonans.

BitHed I dont understand your statement. Adrenalin dose not have a good point. Read it again. That is why I have had to go to this extent to explain the issue. When he understands fully the big picture he should see all the colours. If he seriously thinks that a reciever will cost $400 he needs to look around. A lot (not all) of the guys here are serious gear heads in this hobby. All I have stated here is basic, basic understanding if you plan to or do compete. Weather you do or not wouldent it be nice to get all you can out of your H8. Thats the idea. Do I need a 60+MPH Mini T? NO. Do I want A 60+ MPH Mini T? YES. So I built one and another and another and another..............

WhoMe
03-21-2005, 05:52 AM
If they can do 55. Well 55 bucks for a receiver the size of a couple of quarters is cheap in my book.

RURC
03-21-2005, 06:04 AM
If they can do 55. Well 55 bucks for a receiver the size of a couple of quarters is cheap in my book.

I have not seen anything yet. But if I look at the BERG I have in my Stryker flyer, which is 4 channel, it will be small. Compairing it to the Mamba speed control..... slightly different layout and slightly different foot print, but, about the same. Just a little smaller. So if you have seen the Mamba controller that is close to the existing product out. I bet they will use newer VLSI systems and make it even smaller. Again I do not know a price. But the competetion out ,Multiplex, is going on the street for $55. I told them that Thursday.

Was my last post to harsh?

WhoMe
03-21-2005, 06:09 AM
Nah, Im used to you now RURC lol. But yes I would find that sort of equipment valuable for my Micros. The M18 is cramped, the Mini-T is cramped...and though the H8 wont be nearly that tight; Im a complete neat freak when it comes to setup to Id really like to see what these boys have to offer. By the way I used to live in Kansas...good people. Even if they do call bags sacks and Soda.....Pop x.x

BitHed
03-21-2005, 06:14 AM
...ok...i will wear the idiot hat for you on this one...if i am going to be smaller and lighter arent i going to flopping and bopping all over the place because of my higher speeds ?

...apart from the great quality, longer run times etc etc whats the benefit of this gear compared to good quality 1:10 gear or am i just ASKING for more trouble with this question :o

...RURC i am not saying its sillly or wrong mate...I am just wanting to understand...

...Cheap? Fast? Harsh? Its all relative i suppose...Whatever you are used to...we are all different; but its all good :)

BitHed
03-21-2005, 06:16 AM
...and whats the point of voting NO in a poll if you are gonna get skinned? LOL If i hadnt voted no you wouldnt have had all this neat explaining to do ;)

RURC
03-21-2005, 06:45 AM
...ok...i will wear the idiot hat for you on this one...if i am going to be smaller and lighter arent i going to flopping and bopping all over the place because of my higher speeds ?

...apart from the great quality, longer run times etc etc whats the benefit of this gear compared to good quality 1:10 gear or am i just ASKING for more trouble with this question :o

...RURC i am not saying its sillly or wrong mate...I am just wanting to understand...

...Cheap? Fast? Harsh? Its all relative i suppose...Whatever you are used to...we are all different; but its all good :)

Bit you are not a idiot. However you do need a lesson (not from a dominant geashua (I dont know how to spell it)). Remember the softer springs I mentioned? They asorb the bumps better keeping the wheels to the ground. You can also use harder spikes because the lighter car wil not wear them as fast. On softer clay tracks I really like the hardest compound I can stand. On hard ones I use al sorts of things.

Well the higher quality stuff has faster response to your inputs due to the faster circuitry. GLITCHES. I have NEVER had a single glitch sence I changed to Multiplex about 4 years ago.

Confucis say...."If you stand under table you will understand" He also said...."man who stands on toilet get high on pot"

...and whats the point of voting NO in a poll if you are gonna get skinned? LOL If i hadnt voted no you wouldnt have had all this neat explaining to do ;)

To be literal YOU are the only no vote. This other guy not withstanding. I have been mostly explaining to the chior. LOL

BitHed
03-21-2005, 07:12 AM
...yeah preaching to the converted NOW but in a few months when you revive this post there will be LOT of users who need simple stuff explained...But its all good...Well done mate...I appreciate your time on this ;)

RURC
03-21-2005, 12:21 PM
...yeah preaching to the converted NOW but in a few months when you revive this post there will be LOT of users who need simple stuff explained...But its all good...Well done mate...I appreciate your time on this ;)

Yes that is true. I dont mind explaining things I just suck at this typeing thing so bad. I need good voice reconnigation software. Any one know of one? Seriously let me know. Someone email me on that.

BLACKHAWK444
03-21-2005, 01:13 PM
Small is better. It allows more space for you to adjust the electronics. I have been looking for a receiver for a couple weeks for the Half 8, and I think it will be this. The price of the stock receiver that came with my radio is 150! Most good ones are around 80. So I would definitly be intrested in one, or maybe two.

BLACKHAWK444
03-21-2005, 03:27 PM
What is the difference between the CC and this http://www.b-p-p.com/Accessories.htm ? (the receiver on that page)

RURC
03-21-2005, 03:48 PM
What is the difference between the CC and this http://www.b-p-p.com/Accessories.htm ? (the receiver on that page)

I like that. I did not know Troy had those. I would have to say that physicly there will not be a lot different. I'm gonna call Troy to find out some more information. I had not seen a VLSI receiver for surface till I saw tht one. CC was, as far as I knew, the only one working it. That is great. I really like the non chrystaled set up.

BLACKHAWK444
03-21-2005, 05:31 PM
Well sorry CC, but I will have to go with the B-P-P one, once they get it in stock. Seems alot better, because I can set it to any one of my radios, and I do not have to buy/find the same crystals that my radios uses. And 70 bucks is a steal!

WhoMe
03-21-2005, 08:38 PM
I know this would increase the size alittle bit...thus possibly negating the whole smaller is better thing; But i would like to see these electronics in a plastic case. Again i know this may make them larger and possibly more expensive..but i dont like the idea of heatshrinking my electronics. A small slim case would be a nice touch; Somthing like the Novak Spy casing..very small. But anyways I know alittle somthing about how plastics can ramp costs up so that might not be possible nor attractive...just a passing thought.

TNB
03-21-2005, 11:22 PM
And why would they make it 4 channel? Seems kinda pointless for a surface receiver.
Tamiya 1/14 Scale Tractor Trucks.
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/category.php?sub-id=35000

RURC
03-21-2005, 11:41 PM
I know this would increase the size alittle bit...thus possibly negating the whole smaller is better thing; But i would like to see these electronics in a plastic case. Again i know this may make them larger and possibly more expensive..but i dont like the idea of heatshrinking my electronics. A small slim case would be a nice touch; Somthing like the Novak Spy casing..very small. But anyways I know alittle somthing about how plastics can ramp costs up so that might not be possible nor attractive...just a passing thought.

This startes in the flyers. With a flyer every gram counts. But as far as strength goes I assure when a plane hits the ground or a building or something at 60 to 90 MPH it is harder than a buggy hitting. I have never had to replace a reciever after a crash. Also for marine use it is the best way. You use a little silicon wait till it skins over then shrink the tube and a great water tight seal. Nothing like buying a injection moulding die to really raise the price. My brother used to make them, damn they were expensive. $20k for a 2 piece die less than 24 inches across. Each die like that would make about 10 case peices. Then you have to have a die to make the other side. In any event you do have a point, and some people will take that and run. Not me I have seen them not have a problem.

Well sorry CC, but I will have to go with the B-P-P one, once they get it in stock. Seems alot better, because I can set it to any one of my radios, and I do not have to buy/find the same crystals that my radios uses. And 70 bucks is a steal!

I agree. If that Bishop one is as good as that it will kick. I still have to talk to CC. But that is some reciever. I really like it. Might just get Troy to send me one. If so I will leave a through examination of it here. :D

adrenalinrush123998
03-23-2005, 10:59 AM
although you stated it earlier i do not feel this as an attack against me at all....i dont know why anyone would think i do....
i just dont see how that tiny little wight difference can make a difference...if i take the electronics ut of my mini-quake does it sit any higher? no. does it wigh any less? not really. if i take them out of of my mini-t does anything happen? not realy although this time it does sit higher (i still have the crappy sotck shocks this truck bottoms out from acceleratng alone....)
i dont see how much difference a lighter reiciver can make...i do see your point on the 4-channels tho..

RURC
03-24-2005, 03:28 AM
although you stated it earlier i do not feel this as an attack against me at all....i dont know why anyone would think i do....
i just dont see how that tiny little wight difference can make a difference...if i take the electronics ut of my mini-quake does it sit any higher? no. does it wigh any less? not really. if i take them out of of my mini-t does anything happen? not realy although this time it does sit higher (i still have the crappy sotck shocks this truck bottoms out from acceleratng alone....)
i dont see how much difference a lighter reiciver can make...i do see your point on the 4-channels tho..

I am glad that I did not offend. I know that I temd to be short and my wife being used to it even said to me that I was a little heavy handed. I will have fun telling her I will not listen to her on that subject. I will let her know that I am talking to MEN not children..

I can see your point that unless you really see (feel) the differance you cannot believe that those "small ammounts" make a real change. When you take the overall % of change you will be suprised.I will take one of my bone stock Mini T's (it dose have bearings) and compare the ratio to the other with electronics changes. The largest changes will come with the batterys. I really can't comment on the Mini Quake. I do not have one. I have driven a friends and it is not for me. I can't think of a thing I thought was good. But I dont like monster trucks so it is just me. It may not do a thing for that truck, I have no idea. You really need the shocks on your T. That alone will change the whole thing. Really ask anyone.

All I can tell you is that as a componant of the whole there is a seeable and feelable differance. Now granted if I did not have the selection of stuff I have I would not be running the electronics I do. But I do and I know that there is differance I can see it in lap times. I do spend a lot of time giving it the blance i want. I severly lowered my cg the moment I replaced the original esc/rec. It was somewhere in the 11 mm area. That alone is worth it. The lower you get the cg the better it handles.

Ask around to other Mini T modifiers and see what they say. I believe you will find a concensious.

adrenalinrush123998
03-24-2005, 01:57 PM
ah yes about the lap tyimes...these small changes to my car such as lighter electronics..or taking something that creates a small areodynamic difference or weight addition doesnt really make a difference to me...although it coyuld shave seconds off a lap time i dont have atrack any where near me...really the closest track is about 2hrs drive.....and they arent open any time convienent for me to go i dont think they want kids there... they have thewierdest horus and they are only open on school nights
so i have no choice but to be a backyard basher..so what difference the lighter elctonics might nmake for you will be absaloutely worthless for me.... i do now see though how that tiny bit of a difference could make a large lap ime difference..i wasnt really tinking that way so i didnt see it correctly

eek! period almost over..must leave class!

BitHed
03-24-2005, 02:25 PM
...good points adrenalin...Thats why i voted that i had never thought about going SMALLER...im a basher...i break things, i fix things...Story of my life...LOL...

ruknd
03-25-2005, 04:58 AM
smaller yes...but more important BETTER and SMOOTHER...

RURC
03-26-2005, 12:37 AM
ah yes about the lap tyimes...these small changes to my car such as lighter electronics..or taking something that creates a small areodynamic difference or weight addition doesnt really make a difference to me...although it coyuld shave seconds off a lap time i dont have atrack any where near me...really the closest track is about 2hrs drive.....and they arent open any time convienent for me to go i dont think they want kids there... they have thewierdest horus and they are only open on school nights
so i have no choice but to be a backyard basher..so what difference the lighter elctonics might nmake for you will be absaloutely worthless for me.... i do now see though how that tiny bit of a difference could make a large lap ime difference..i wasnt really tinking that way so i didnt see it correctly

eek! period almost over..must leave class!

This product is not for you. You seek none of the things that it is ment to do. I think you should leave well enouf alone. But when (and it will) that stock ESC/REC blow up you will have no choice but to buy the original parts and put them in. Ask some of the guys here if they had to replace that part on the Mini T. I know that almost everyone I know that has a Mini T had theat thing burn up at one time or another. I changed mine as soon as it got into my hand and have not replaced a (electronic) part sence.

My son (5 years old) and I go to the track almost every weekend. We also go one night a week for practice. Sometimes we go to another track in Gainsville or Georgia. It is a event for us. We take the motorhome, load it up with all the things we need (chips, ice cream, hotdogs, you know the essentals) . Even if we are just going to the local (10 miles away) track. Not only dose the track not mind if I bring him they encourage it. So we have a great time and really love it. BitHed and others who know me from other places could acknowledge some of the things we do and try to implement. Now every 2 weeks my wife comes also. On the weeks she is there she sends out emails to others in the club and remindes them to bring the kids. She then takes them all in the motorhome and dose crafts and all those mom things with them. I only mention these things to let you know that not all tracks are unfriendly to kids. They shoulden't be. Kids are what will keep this sport going.

RURC
03-26-2005, 12:42 AM

Just got a word on the reciever that BPP will have back in stock soon. This is from a 3rd party source. The new price will be $99.00. Still a good deal on that as a package I feel. But watch that price. :D