PDA

View Full Version : Mamba thing to watch for in H8

RURC
03-18-2005, 09:05 PM
I started this in another threas and felt this type of information would be usefull as a thread by itself.... :D

Special conditions to watch for if you use the Mamba on the H8. Temperature seems to be an issue with the motor first and the controller second. Max running temp of the motor cannot exceed 200 degrees F. Max running temp on the controller should not exceed 225 degrees F. On the speed control the heat shrink will melt at 200 degrees so that is a indicator that you need to watch your temp on the controller. If you hade a heat problem with the controller you will need to heat sink the fets on the top of the circuit board. Now you will need to goto a electronics supply store, bring the controller with you, and get a proper sized heat sink. You will also need to get some heat conductive epoxy. Something with a high aluminum content works best. Glue the heat sink to the fets. Now on the motor I have found a heatsink that will go on the motor. The problem I have lost the web page. I will look extensively tonight and get the up ASAP. I really feel that the Mamba WILL need at least the heat sinks on the motor for the H8. I dont think it will be nessary on the controller. Hope this helps and wet your appitite for this thing to hurry up and get here. :D

RURC
03-19-2005, 02:35 AM
The Mamba (orig 1/18 scale set up(green)) is the only one with the heat possable issues. These heat issues might (we dont know yet) occur when it is used in the H8. I was working with CC today and the temp thing came up. I figured better to let you know of the possability and plan for it than for it to burn something up. With the heatsinks on the motor there should be no other problem. If you need the heat sinks on the controller you have already smoked the motor. The controller will handle 30 amps continous with out a problem. Under hard acceleration the motor and controller will draw upwards to 100 amps for a few miliseconds. This in a Mini T. It will be heaver in the H8. We figure 125 to 135. Not a problem for the controller. This is why it is being advised that in the H8 you put in the heat sink. I am still looking for the link for the web site. I know I have it. I just have to find a reciept from the one I bought from them. I will find it.

JetskiMark
03-19-2005, 03:05 AM
Is the heatsink that you have similar to this one?

http://www.allerc.com/product_info.php?cPath=6&products_id=1125

I was considering this for my Mini-T Mamba installation, but it looks like I would have to machine a portion of the fins to clear the trans. It would probably work as is in a H8.

I wonder if the Mamba 25 would be suitable for a Lehner or Hacker in the H8?

Regards,
Mark

RURC
03-19-2005, 03:22 AM
Is the heatsink that you have similar to this one?

http://www.allerc.com/product_info.php?cPath=6&products_id=1125

I was considering this for my Mini-T Mamba installation, but it looks like I would have to machine a portion of the fins to clear the trans. It would probably work as is in a H8.

I wonder if the Mamba 25 would be suitable for a Lehner or Hacker in the H8?

Regards,
Mark

I would say that you might on that one. I have used one lust like that in plaines. The one I got for the MiniT looked different.

http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-1_files/ACC3900.jpg

Now it is smaller and you have to cut off the box on top.

BLACKHAWK444
03-23-2005, 01:54 PM
Well I am thinking about ordering a mamba for my mini-t, and when I get a half 8 moving into it. I don't know if I should though.

mpetrich
03-23-2005, 04:31 PM
Well, I already have the Mamba waiting for my Half8 so I can definitely test it out. Here is a link to the heat sink that I use on my Mamba in an Xray M18. This works very well.

Mamba Heat Sink (http://shop.one18th.com/product_info.php?cPath=91_108&products_id=609)

RURC
03-24-2005, 03:04 AM
Well, I already have the Mamba waiting for my Half8 so I can definitely test it out. Here is a link to the heat sink that I use on my Mamba in an Xray M18. This works very well.

Mamba Heat Sink (http://shop.one18th.com/product_info.php?cPath=91_108&products_id=609)

I really think the H8 will need the heat sink. If you are really going for speed you positively will. Even in a Mini T the 8k will get too hot after a while. For the money error on the side of caution.

BitHed
03-24-2005, 03:50 AM
...on a side note; The shop here is working on getting 380 brushless heatsinks ;) I whispered this message so as not to disturb the thundering brushless crowd ;)

halfEIGHT
03-29-2005, 05:32 PM
;)

We can also get Integy parts if anyone wants the above linked-to sink. :)

RURC
03-29-2005, 06:35 PM
Just remember, like with batteries , heat is the enimy. Anything you can do the not allow it to build up will help. If the motor excceds 200 f it will experance problems. If you do not have one you should get the Venom temp sensor. This will hold the peak temp then you will know where your temps are falling inbetween.

halfEIGHT
03-29-2005, 07:16 PM
Yep, that little Venom unit is great, I was using one this weekend to test the effects of a heat sink on my VMG. :cool:

BitHed
03-30-2005, 12:07 AM
...halfEIGHT did you get those heatsinks sorted out mate? I am going to need one...

halfEIGHT
03-31-2005, 05:53 PM
GPM say they don't have one...still looking...

RURC
03-31-2005, 08:58 PM
GPM say they don't have one...still looking...

GPM dont make one. But I think GWS dose