PDA

View Full Version : Ride Height Adjustment

holy_inferno
07-12-2005, 02:17 AM
What's the advantages/disadvantages of lowering/increasing ride height? Would lowering it and keeping the shocks slightly compressed for a long time damage the shocks?
How high are you setting your Mini Inferno at?

Just wanted to know...so many adjustments you can do with this car :D

Sasquatch
07-12-2005, 02:27 AM
Lowering the ride height will give the buggy a lower center of gravity (CG), thus giving it better handling. But like with everything, there is a downside, less travel, and less ground clearance. This is suited to the more smoother tracks with little bumps and jumps, and even for the street.

Increasing the ride height will give the buggy a higher CG, so worse handling. But there is a good side, more travel and more ground clearance makes it ideal for jumping and handling in the rough terrain.

Keeping it low for a long time will damage nothing. The only thing is that the springs will lose their tension over time, but that will take a season's worth of racing to make you want to replace the springs.

Typically for bashing with my 18T, I leave it on it's highest ride height with some preload in the shocks to keep them nice and stiff. Because when you are bashing, you never know what you are going to be doing next.

Leave it high for the rough stuff, low for the smooth stuff.

holy_inferno
07-12-2005, 02:47 AM
Thanks, Sasquatch. :)
I lowered my Mini Inferno's ride height because when i put my 8-cell battery packs in, the rear squats down because of the weight of the packs, so I lowered it down to the height of the squatting, preventing my car from looking like those lowriders :D
Now my buggy sits at a little over an inch (3cm) ;)

Sasquatch
07-12-2005, 02:51 AM
If you want the higher ride height, you can either add stiffer springs to the rear or all around, or you can add some preload spacers between the spring and the shock top. It will make the spring stiffer and rebound faster which in many cases can be good and bad.