PDA

View Full Version : Transmitter choice?

Crunch
07-07-2005, 03:30 AM
Hey folks, I've been in the RC scene for a while and its time to upgrade/trash all my RTR transmitters.

I have been eyeing the top of the line models since the control can be used for ages in almost any/all my cars.

What do you guys think would be the best choice?

Ko Propo EX-10 Heilos
Futaba 3PK (Black Version)
Sanwa/Airtronics M8
Sanwa/Airtronics M11

I am leaning towards the 3PK as I've seen how touch they are and I've had nothing but good experience from Futaba stuff. On the other hand, the EX-10 looks way cool.......is a newer model then the 3PK. The M11 is the latest model just released here a few days ago...but the price will do a number on my account.

Hummm.....what do you guys think?

masterbasser
07-07-2005, 03:40 AM
the 3pk is rockin i would go with it

JuJuB
07-07-2005, 04:00 AM
wats a good transmitter that's frome 50 to 100 $

BitHed
07-07-2005, 04:07 AM
...Crunchy for pure brand 'love' i would go with the helios but admittedly the futaba does look nice...Futaba gives you a wider range of options though..but its just that the Helios just LOOKS so damn cool :D Performance? 55 to 45 in favour of Futaba...Sexiness? 80 to 20 for the Helios :D

holy_inferno
07-07-2005, 04:07 AM
The Futaba 3PK is swt :D...it would be my choice (looks like those radar guns)

...Notice how TowerHobbies is starting to discontinue their stock of Airtronics M8s? ;)

Crunch
07-07-2005, 04:12 AM
J: What functions are you looking for in the transmitter? AM or FM?

I know the JR models are pretty popular in N.America.

Seems like the 3PK is winning in terms of function over form, the EX-10 is indeed very sexy.....but the Oh-So-Small LCD display is somewhat of a turnoff.... :p

R32dude
07-07-2005, 04:28 AM
I've been using a 3PK for at least two years now and love it!!! My only gripe might be that it gets a little heavy during long gas mains, I have since incorperated a neck strap!!! :)

.5x8
07-07-2005, 06:27 AM
i use this radio

http://www.hitecrcd.com/Radios/RadioHome.htm

and it works great for the price! i got it at hobby people for 70 bucks with the transmitter...reciever..and 2 servos :)

TNB
07-07-2005, 08:02 AM
Crunch,
Although I own the Futaba T3PK, have tried the Ko Propo Ex-10 Helios, have tried the Airtronics M8, and have seen the Airtronics M11 (and know a couple of people who own the M11), I purchased the Nomadio Sensor as well. It is 2.4GHz and has real time telemetry "right now" unlike the Spektrum add-on. However, it will also do a number on your account. Either way, try to "feel" out and use each radio prior to making a purchase.

http://www.nomadio.net

http://www2.mini-zracer.com/albums/album573/Nomadio_Sensor.jpg

BitHed
07-07-2005, 11:45 AM
...TNB so nice of you to offer all your units for all our hands on testing ;) Make sure you wrap the Nomadio up good for its trip to japan ;) :p

TNB
07-07-2005, 03:48 PM
I have a case for it that should work fine since I'll hand carry the Nomadio Sensor after you send me that first-class round trip ticket from Las Vegas to Tokyo. :D By the way, I also updated the Nomadio Sensor and transceiver online last night so it has all the updates so far--another nice thing about the Nomadio Sensor is that its programming can be updated via the internet.

adrenalinrush123998
07-07-2005, 06:13 PM
yupppppers, id totaly go with the sensor....

TNB, you have everything......... do you have enough money to fill a pool with?

seriously.....your living my dream

TNB
07-07-2005, 06:47 PM
I don't even have enough money to fill my wallet.

.5x8
07-07-2005, 11:13 PM
this would be perfect if u had a budget!!

http://www.hitecrcd.com/Radios/RadioHome.htm

maxxenitout
07-08-2005, 05:31 AM
Notice how TowerHobbies is starting to discontinue their stock of Airtronics M8s?
Thats because of the release of the M11.

I have had a M8(1 of the other items the thief didn't get away with) with no problems had all the functions I "needed" for "all" my cars... Easy setup and and a breeze to use...I will most likely upgrade to and M11 soon...
I guess we all play favorites!! ;)

halfEIGHT
07-10-2005, 04:24 PM
How many memory spaces does the M11 have? I could fill the 10 on my M8 3 times over at least! :D

maxxenitout
07-10-2005, 04:36 PM
The M11 is a selectable 2 or 4 channel FM computer radio system. A new Anti-Lock braking system that incorporates independent front and rear braking servos. Not only does the M11 have many new programming features, the transmitter case is adjustable as well. You can change the M11 from right to left handed operation, two driving positions (high or low), steering and throttle spring tension adjustment and digital trim angle adjustment.
Everything about the new M11 is fast, fast response time, fast adjustments and fast programming. Using the short cut keys, you can scroll thought the M11 3 function pages fast and easy so you can get your car or truck on the track fast.

One of the many new features included in the new M11 is the ability to assign up to 3 features in one switch and being able to see which features are on or off. 30 model memory, 12 char model naming and 12 char user naming with 2 selectable back light colors. White or blue. 2 C-Mix's, multiple screen graphics, 3 function programming pages, new EXPO feature called TWEAK that will let you fine tune your expo settings, Servo Monitor and much more.

Programming Features:

Dual Rate Steering, End Point Adjustment, Expo with Tweak, ARC, Speed ALB Braking, Traction Control, 30 Model Memory, Sub Trim, Timers, Servo Reversing, Start Position, Throttle Hold, Brake Mixing, Servo Monitor, Screen Setup, Selectable Audio Tones, Vibration Alarm, Switch Assignment, Trim Assignment, User Naming.
Found that info here...
http://www.airtronics.net/M11.htm

could fill the 10 on my M8 3 times over at least!
Looks like it might barely have enough room for you... If not just buy 2 ;)

halfEIGHT
07-10-2005, 05:15 PM
Hehe, looks just about right! Just plain FM though, no synthesis or Spektrum-type system?

maxxenitout
07-10-2005, 05:47 PM
I wonder if the M8 spektrum unit works in the M11 :confused:

TNB
07-10-2005, 05:52 PM
"Spektrum Module Updated for the M11 - 06/06/05
Effective immediately, all Spektrum systems for Airtronics will be M11 compatible and marked as such. We began shipping these modified and reprogrammed systems to hobby shops this week, before M11 radios are even available!

If you currently own a Spektrum M8 system and are buying a M11 radio, you can contact our product support department at 877-504-0233 to arrange an upgrade to your current system."

http://www.spektrumrc.com/DSM/Next/Default.html
--Check "Latest Info" link.

Gearhead
07-11-2005, 03:05 AM
personaly i would go with the KoProPo Helios, using the Mini-z modual. It is cheaper to purchase the Mini-z version of the Helios. If you want to use your own receiver and go FM, then i would go with the JR ProPo Z-1.

The Z-1 is a Helio, but with JR's Sythesized technology. The Z-1 has all the 75Mhz channels built into the radio, so you never have to purchase crystals, and you can change channel anytime you wish.

The Sensor would be cool, but who wants to spend 500 on a radio.

WhoMe
07-11-2005, 03:28 AM
The Sensor is great but its definatly not mean for the casual enthusiast. Be all end all Id choose the Sensor...but if I wasnt going that hard core Id go for the M11.

Crunch
07-14-2005, 04:41 PM
Thanks folks!! I finally ended up with the Futaba 3PK.....damn it's a nice remote. Just got it in a few hours ago along with some other goodies..... :D

Can wait to try it out. :D

Sideshow
07-14-2005, 05:47 PM
I got a 3PK here in a few days too :D for my MP 777 and the H-8

TNB
07-14-2005, 11:41 PM
Enjoy. Don't forget a transmitter case to help protect it. I have the soft Futaba case for my T3PK since I don't have to remove the antenna and there is room for the charger, modules, and so on. A small elastic can hold the AC adapter and an extra module will fit right next to it (I kept the AM Conversion Module's plastic case). Then I unzip the case slightly and run the cord out to the wall so the transmitter can charge while it is still in the case. Of course, there are the hard cases too. I keep my Nomadio Sensor in a padded starter box case.

Crunch
07-15-2005, 02:15 AM
Yup!! Got a very sexy Speedmind CF patterned case which doesn't require the antenna to be removed. Plenty of spaces for little bits and pieces.

Also have the AM modules on order for my new MIni-Z...hee hee hee

The joy of having new toys!! :D

Hawk
07-15-2005, 03:13 AM
I have owned several radios and most of them Futaba. I have a JR XS3Pro for the mini T and maybe the H8. I will probably go ahead and by another futata receiver for it too and just use the 3PK for everything.

About a case. I have the Futaba soft case and use it to store all the extra stuff, spare receivers, crystals, spare antenae, on and on but I only store my transmitter in the LOCKABLE hard case. It looks really nice and protects like crazy but mostly I can lock it and no one can get in unless it is obvious they were up to mischief.
If you go to a place where they impound your radio, lockable hard case is nice insurance. Just my opinion. :cool:

BitHed
07-15-2005, 04:19 AM
...i have been battling with myself for ages about switching from KO to FUTABA...When in Rome right :cool: But unfortunately the bum fell out of my finances so i am now back to a conroller attached to the car with a long thin wire and one button for right and one button for left..Its kinda cool because it bumps into something and then changes direction on its own ;)

holy_inferno
07-15-2005, 03:45 PM
...Doesn't KO design electronics for Kyosho's Perfex systems? :)

Question: How long is the range of an average AM radio?

Hawk
07-15-2005, 06:31 PM
...i have been battling with myself for ages about switching from KO to FUTABA...When in Rome right :cool: But unfortunately the bum fell out of my finances so i am now back to a conroller attached to the car with a long thin wire and one button for right and one button for left..Its kinda cool because it bumps into something and then changes direction on its own ;)
Bit, I look at the Radio stuff like the buggy manufacturer stuff, too many good ones. I try to spend less time arguing and more time racing. So, if you get one of the majors out there now, you can't really go wrong. They are all good and most times it is a matter of tomato or tomato. (see, no difference really, you have to add the difference). :D

I have to say, you systems sounds simple, direct and very effective. Can you tell me how to get ahold of one of those, could be useful.
:cool: