PDA

View Full Version : 480BB Tuningmotor (with Mod)

Sinned
07-06-2005, 03:05 PM
Hello from Germany!

I have put in a 480BB Motor into my Half8.

I drive that Car with 7.2V Cellpacks and it is very fast and drives very very good!

I have throw out many Things from the Chassis and put my own selfmate Things into it!

Today my 9.6V Cellpack arrives! :cool:

Here is a Picture! ;-)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v332/Sinned21/IMG_4478.jpg

WhoMe
07-06-2005, 03:25 PM
Nice chassis modification

RockDragon
07-06-2005, 07:06 PM
Wow! ... brilliant idea how you relocated the motor.

JuJuB
07-07-2005, 02:34 PM
Awsome truck man!!
How did u mod ur chasis lilke that?

mOOsE
07-07-2005, 10:44 PM
truck? hmmm

.5x8
07-07-2005, 11:16 PM
I Want That Chassis Conversion!!! O_o Me Wannt!!!

JuJuB
07-07-2005, 11:42 PM
How/Where did u get ur chasis like that???

.5x8
07-08-2005, 01:10 AM
he modified it with a dremel and such....its not hard to do...i just dont got the balls to do it..lol...the center diff is easy..just flip it around...if someone started making a conversion like that..i would buy it....and you dont need to run lipo...u can always just stack the batteries ontop of eachother...cut 2 slots where you are gonna mount it...(one on each side of battery) and STRAP it down (you can get a thin watch velco strap, or you can somehow find those battery straps those old team losi buggies used to use..)

HAWK i think was the first one on this forum to do the chassis conversion...i ahve also seen one with a CF chassis on one18th.com

I WANT ONE! lol ill asks omeone to make it for me..lolz

mOOsE
07-08-2005, 01:16 AM
Or run batteries side x side

Sinned
07-08-2005, 09:29 AM
Hi Again!

This Mod is very easy to do!

.5x8 was right,i dremel the most Things and mount the center Diffs 180° on the other site for the bigger Motor!

The Car is very fast and has much torque with such 7.2V cellpacks...

Next time i will make some 8.4 Cellpacks (Kan 1050Mah) for it or some GP-Cellpacks!

Here some new Pictures for you..

Here can you see how much free Room you have for your Cellpacks...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v332/Sinned21/IMG_4484.jpg

Here can you see the 7.2V Cellpack mounted at the Chassis

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v332/Sinned21/IMG_4486.jpg

.5x8
07-09-2005, 03:37 PM
thats crazee.....but running that stick pack uneven one side of the car? or shift the weight just to like it was?

RockDragon
07-11-2005, 12:52 PM
[QUOTE=Sinned]............
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v332/Sinned21/IMG_4484.jpg

............QUOTE]

Hey Sinned .... Hope you won't mind telling me where you get that sub chassis or the chassis bracing, whatever it's called, the carbon fiber piece with the word PRO... you mounted the ESC on it.

mOOsE
07-11-2005, 04:10 PM
I think he said he made it himself...

Sinned
07-11-2005, 04:36 PM
I have made the Carbonpiece from a 1.5mm Carbonplate!

The Carbonpiece make the Chassis stronger...

Hawk
07-11-2005, 04:42 PM
If you need it, I have the proline decal you can use for the pro letters on the carbon fiber piece. :cool:

Magnum P.I.
07-11-2005, 06:43 PM
Could you post a step by step with some more pictures on how to do this mod. I want to do it but i am not that great on that sort of stuff with out messing it up.

RockDragon
07-12-2005, 08:15 AM
I have made the Carbonpiece from a 1.5mm Carbonplate!

The Carbonpiece make the Chassis stronger...

Thanks Sinned. I propably missed out the part you said you have throw out many Things from the Chassis and put your own selfmate Things into it!...
Anyway! I also don't really like those original chassis brace that being just some short links. You wouldn't mind, would you?... if I'll take your idea and make one up myself for my H8....lol.... :o :o :o

Sinned
07-12-2005, 08:40 AM
I dont have the right words for the Things i have throw out,i´m from Germany and my english is so bad ;-)

Yes,the Chassis Brace are very bad and it stabilize the Mainchassis not...

One thing is very important for this mod,you must have better Electrics like:

HS81MG
Better Receiver/better Controller (much smaller ;-) )

Than you can do this mod very easy!

The Weight of my moddet Inferno is simualar the same as the Original Car with a 9.6V Cellpack...

The Motor weights 107g, the normal 400 Motor weights 65g(I think),but the Original Electrics and all parts that i have throw out clear this Weightdifference!

When i make Jumps the Car flys good,so the Cellpacks dont make this car uneven...

All in all it was a good Thing to make this mod for my Mini Inferno!

Here some Dates to the Motor

Shaft: 2.3mm
Lenghts: 51mm
Dia: same size like 400 Speed
Ballbearings
27000 U/min by 7.2V
Gramms: 107g

I have found another brushed Motor that i have ordered:

Dates:
Shaft 2.3mm
Lenghts 46mm
Dia: 6mm bigger than the 400 Speed
50000 U/min by 7.2V
Weight: 111g

A Friend drives this Motor and its so fast!

I think over 35MPH by 7.2V

mOOsE
07-12-2005, 04:13 PM
Sounds like it worked out nicely for you then. I am glad you said the balance is still ok. Most people would say the balance is off but they forget that the car also has 4 big gyro's aiding in stability when flying through the air.

Hawk
07-12-2005, 04:34 PM
My concern with balance is the use of LiPo power for a brushless. If you leave the motor forward and put LiPo cells in as a saddle pack, the center of gravity moves forward. If you continue to use nimh packs, the weight of a 8 cell 2/3a nimh pack keeps the center of gravity farther back and the initial balance of the chassis is o.k. for jumps and bumpy track turns.
If you want the extra runtime of 3 cell LiPo and the extra punch of 11+ volts, you loose a lot in static and dynamic balance. Your car will be a hand ful in the handling department on a bumpy track or on jumps. Initial setup for the jump becomes critical because throttle/brake can only compensate so much. The inertia in those little wheels isn't as much as a 1/8 buggy. Just look at what happens with Monster trucks with those huge tire/wheel setups. you can flip them on the ground just from wheel inertia.
Just my opinion. :cool:

In the section below, his refers to Sinned.

As for the steps to change the configuration, it is very easy to start and simple to complete especially if you use his method of a graphite plate to stiffen the chassis by tying the front and rear diffs together. It is nearly boxed this way and is probably very stiff in the axis that runs through the middle of the chassis front to rear. I commented a long time ago about the torsional stiffness being poor and want a box structure that ties the side to side and diagonal structure together. I would say the very simple and effective method he used is a 90% solution.

So, take out the motor mount, take off the radio/top plate,
take out the stiffener behind the center diff and remove the chassis braces front and rear. Take out all the screws for the center diff. turn the center diff 180degrees. put the four screws back in the center diff. Use the motor mount as a template and drill four holes to mount the motor mount to the chassis. Line up the motor mount and make sure the pinion meshes with the diff slipper gear. Make the holes then elongate them so that they are perpendicular to the center line front/rear. they should look like the holes left where the motor mount used to be. I chose to go another route and use an intermediate plate for the mount. This is a typical two piece mount setup like most of the 1/8 buggy's use. A plate is made with the slots for the motor mount adjustment then holes with threads (or nuts if you don't have a tap) are used to mount the plate to the chassis. Elongated holes in the chassis under the motor mount adjusting screws would allow you to adjust the gear mesh more easily.
The clear gear guard on the diff that covers the motor and slipper gears can be modified to fit. It has to be relived to clear the steer servo mount. Now you need to make something to replace the chassis braces. Use a stiff light material (grahite sheet comes to mind) and cut to length. Drill holes in the ends so you can mount it to the from brace and the rear diff. If you want to be fancy, you could also use spacers under it to tie in the center diff.
Use the pictures to figure out how to mount the battery of you choice. Electronics the same.
Clear as mud? :cool:

RockDragon
07-12-2005, 05:45 PM
Holy! Hawk ... you just drew a very large piture of How to mod right in front of my eyes. I give you the full mark for this and thank you for show me the way of doing it.
Salute .. Salute ..
from me .. RockDragon.

Hawk
07-12-2005, 05:46 PM
I am taking pictures of the process right now. I will post them soon.
:cool:

RockDragon
07-12-2005, 06:31 PM
Oooohh OooooHH! ... quickly...quickly ... I just can't wait to see the pictures. :p :p :p

.5x8
07-13-2005, 12:24 AM
woo leemmee see! lol nicely explained hawk! and for more inertia to be able to control the car in the air.....stick some 1/10 wheels on there!! i think alum. ones might help...but if i do that..i rather have dish/spole wheels! lol

Magnum P.I.
07-13-2005, 02:10 PM
Hawk you da man. It sounds so easy now!!!

JuJuB
08-16-2005, 06:52 PM

Dates:
Shaft 2.3mm
Lenghts 46mm
50000 U/min by 7.2V

I think over 35MPH by 7.2V[/QUOTE]

Is that motor this motor at the botom of this page:

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/speed480.htm

If It isn't than can u post a link to where u got it from please??

mOOsE
08-16-2005, 07:48 PM

Dates:
Shaft 2.3mm
Lenghts 46mm
50000 U/min by 7.2V

I think over 35MPH by 7.2V

Is that motor this motor at the botom of this page:

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/speed480.htm

If It isn't than can u post a link to where u got it from please??[/QUOTE]
that motor will not fit. too long

JuJuB
08-16-2005, 08:49 PM
Then where did he get the motor from?

JuJuB
08-21-2005, 06:54 PM
can some one Please tell me where he got that motor from???

mOOsE
08-21-2005, 11:25 PM
you can get it from the same site that I gave a link to..... it still won't fit in the stock location though

BitHed
08-21-2005, 11:32 PM
...might just be time for me to switch my motor around...I love this mod...I like that carbon top plate too..nice work Juju...

JuJuB
08-22-2005, 06:39 PM
Nice work Juju...?I didn't do anything but ask questions.....unless u mean the link I posted, Sinned made himself that carbon top plate. I haven't doen that mod yet...cuz I need to save money.....although I'm planning on doin it pretty soon cuz i want more speed and power w/ out going brushless.......but I'll have to borrow a dremel tool from a freind or just buy one, use it, then take it back and say it wasn't working right. :D

And what was Hawk talking about when he was explaining how to go furhter w/ this mod and make it so you can adjust the gear mesh more easily?

Won't this mod allow the H8 to handle jumps more smoothly. It should.

carpet-t
09-29-2005, 12:38 AM
wow that looks like a nice mod. it seems to be good enough even if you weren't going to use a huge motor. whatever happend to the pics hawk was going post? sorry if this thread had "died" or been reincarnated in a different thread but im new to this site(im from one18th) and this has been the most interesting thread ive seen thus far on this sight.
stay classy

Hawk
09-29-2005, 04:21 AM
I hate making excuses but here goes, I haven't done much lately because I have put together a truggy to try that out for a second car for our racing program. Many new things to try see and play with. Too much time though. We have decided to add the real deal to the program through the winter indoor racing season. It is a good place to work out the details before the Silverstate next year (hope you can make it this year Ronny, we'll be there).
This time of the year is building to the peak at the end of November when all the retail sales clog the system (Hint: I work for a major credit card system, we are everywhere you want to be). Work gets kind of crazy about now.
I haven't had so much time left over and have done very little on the Mini Inferno. It is near the bottom of the list. My poor bike is covered in dust and hasn't had an oil change in a long time.
Any time now things will break loose and I will finish this project, really. I want to anyway.
It helped me in transitioning my 1/8 scale nitros to lipo power and that is worth it to me if that is all I get out of it. I have an extra Mamba Comp X if anybody wants it. I tried to give it to the guy build the on road racer but he wasn't interested. Oh well. :cool:

EphiDelt490
09-29-2005, 06:05 PM
Well if you are giving away the comp-X I'll take it :cool:. I too have been concentrating more on nitro than my electric stuff lately. I'd like to do this mod and may if I get around to it. Hawk I'd like to see a picture of your 1/8 converted to LiPo (adamjoiner@gmail.com).

Hawk
09-29-2005, 11:27 PM
Well if you are giving away the comp-X I'll take it :cool:. I too have been concentrating more on nitro than my electric stuff lately. I'd like to do this mod and may if I get around to it. Hawk I'd like to see a picture of your 1/8 converted to LiPo (adamjoiner@gmail.com).

Man, I need to re-read what I write. I converted the receiver packs to lipo with voltage regulator so I get 6.0 volts the whole time I run it. Plus it doesn't self discharge as much so I just top it off and race all day.
I didn't mean I converted 1/8 buggy to electric. I looked at that once and posted about it in the 1/8 forum. Run times were too short to justify it.

Shoot me and email at darryl@dkhnet.net.
:cool:

carpet-t
09-29-2005, 11:51 PM
alright well i can understand the order of important things. thats why i have all the carbon fibre and aluminum parts for my mini-t yet its still in pieces :( . well when ever u or anybody has time, posting pics woulr be great.
stay classy