PDA

View Full Version : kyosho?

coryj
03-18-2005, 12:01 AM
I know its dumb but how do you pronounce KYOSHO :o

I have no idea :confused: and would feel stupid if I didn't know the brand name of something Im going to spend 100's of dollars on

Mazda787b
03-18-2005, 12:45 AM
Key-ohh-show

arch2b
03-18-2005, 12:56 AM
i have also heard it pronounced ki-o-show frequently. bithed would be our resident expert though ;)

BitHed
03-18-2005, 01:01 AM
...ok...Japanese 101 by Bithed Sensei...

1: Remember that in Japanese all your syllables are the same length...

2: There are 3 ways to WRITE Japanese in English...I will use the most popular, The Hepburn System...

3: Never STAB your food with your chopsticks...Bad karma...

...The first O is SHORT and its sounds like the O you would say in OSCAR, ie Oscar Awards, bare with me im trying to explain it with words we all know...

...The second O is LONG and it sounds like the AW in AWFUL...

The KY sounds like KIOSK but WITHOUT the S and final K...So you are JUST using the KIO part...

The SYO is pronunced like SHOW...As in SHOW OFF :D But the end of it sounds like the final syllable of SHORE...

...Confused yet? :confused:

...So put it all together like you would on Seasame Street and you end up with...

KIO-SHOW

...You will be graded on this at the end of the term :cool:

BitHed
03-18-2005, 01:02 AM
...Sorry I had home room so it took me ages to type that and i missed the other replies :o

arch2b
03-18-2005, 01:09 AM
cool, looks like i was real close :)

BitHed
03-18-2005, 01:12 AM
...spot on arch...I wish i had waited to type it out..it took like 2 hours from start to finish with all this REAL work getting in the way :mad: :p

...As an educator its interesting that we used much the same words...

coryj
03-18-2005, 01:46 AM
thanks guys

this place is great

HammerZ
03-18-2005, 08:54 AM
While we are here on this one, how do you pronounce TAMIYA? I heard two ways.
1. With a sharp I sound, Tam-i-ya.
2. With an E sound, Tam-ee-ya.
So which is the right way to say that?
I know it isn't the Hepburn method, but I think you know what I mean.

I kinda go with the second one myself. I think the first one is "funny gaijin". I hope I spelled gaijin right.

BitHed
03-18-2005, 02:44 PM
...Hammer good question..

...TA-ME-YA...with the ME pronunced like You and Me...KYOSHO is probably the hardest...

HammerZ
03-18-2005, 04:12 PM
I have seen people at LHS's calling it TAM-I-YA, and it did not fit the dialect. I did over emphsize the E's a bit above. I figure with Kyosho, the SHO part is like SHOgun. The KYO is very much the same.

I understand the Japanese have trouble with some english words with TH in them. Words like earTH, in Japanese it is ASU or sounds like the part you and I sit on. I am also sure you deal with the difference between "mouth" and "mouse", I think those two words are written using the same kanji. I think the word is "mousu", or something like that.

chrille
03-18-2005, 06:37 PM
Here in Sweden we pronounce Kyosho like KYÅSO (sorry if you don`t understand the letter Å, but it`s like O in so), and Tamiya woluld be like Tamaya... :) Simple, huh?

coryj
03-18-2005, 10:44 PM
I know this one I belive, but I hear some people say losi like L-ah-see
I say it L-oh-see

and while on the subject how about picco and tsais :confused:
some maby havent heard of these but there must be some nitro mt guys here
tsais I have no clue about
and picco I think is p-ee-co

BitHed
03-19-2005, 12:35 AM
...Hammer one of my favourite tongue-twisters to teach is 'Thirty three thousand, three hundred thirty three thin thermometers'...

...This is a whole other thread i have lined up but in answer to a translation question where the deired answer was 'My father looks like a dog', one student answered, 'My father likes to smell dogs' :confused:

...Also this is the phonetics for the car...Mini In-FAR-KNOW...which after i typed i realised didnt actually change that much from the English...the series is HAR-FU-EIGHTOH...

Icey.Apple
03-19-2005, 10:54 AM
I think it's something like pi-co on picco... tsais... idonno... never heard of it... I call the HalfEight: Haf-eet :p... let's keep it to H8 ;)

BitHed
03-19-2005, 11:29 AM
....Tsais...I have heard of the brand though I am not completely familiar with it...I believe the name is the TS from the end of peanuTS with EYE after it...

...TS-EYE...If i am wrong i apologise to whoever is offended...

HammerZ
03-19-2005, 06:30 PM
...Also this is the phonetics for the car...Mini In-FAR-KNOW...which after i typed i realised didnt actually change that much from the English...the series is HAR-FU-EIGHTOH...

The fun with phonetics. I can go on and on with common english words that I've seen in different Animes, like....
Beer- Bi-iru?
Flash- Fu-ra-shu?
Honey- Ha-n-ii?