PDA

View Full Version : my pants, my pants, my pants are on fire

adrenalinrush123998
07-01-2005, 02:28 AM
actually, my intellect battery pack cought fire....in my pocket........ :D

i had my battery pack in my pcoket and my mini-inferno ready to go, while walking out the door the electrical tape covering up the solder on the wires where i swichtedconnecotrs on the inferno, slipped off then the tow solder points touched...and everything shorted out and cought fire suddenly, my right leg hurt really bad....and there was smoke coming from my pants...yes, my favorite pants were burning!!!!! NOOOO!!!!!
i quickly took them off and ran around in circles.....

anyways, now my 6-cell pack is destroyed...you should see the thing.... its all charred and burnt and i have a 3-icnh hole in my pcoket now....and a bad burn on my leg

basically after all of this i have two questions

1.i hear the battery packs can cause cancer? since this thing pretty much exploded right on my skin...am i going to die? or get lukemia in 10 years?

2. when is the shop getting a new stock of the 6-cell URC packs in? i plan on making an order from here, and would really like to add one of those to it....

JuJuB
07-01-2005, 03:05 AM
WHOA!!!!!!!!!!!! a battery pack blown up in ur pants, ouch! :eek:

I can aswer #1 4 u:

Just about everything can cause cancer (even if it barely does) so I'm pretty sure u won't die or get lukemia n 10 yrs. Just n case u anything will happen, I suggest u start being a Christian if u aren't yet ;) . And I don't think u shood put anymore batteries in ur pocket/ on ur body anymore, accidents happen.

holy_inferno
07-01-2005, 03:11 AM
...Dare to put a freshly charged LiPo in your pocket :D

maxxenitout
07-01-2005, 03:12 AM
i had my battery pack in my pcoket and my mini-inferno ready to go, while walking out the door the electrical tape covering up the solder on the wires where i swichtedconnecotrs on the inferno, slipped off then the tow solder points touched...and everything shorted out and cought fire suddenly, my right leg hurt really bad....and there was smoke coming from my pants...yes, my favorite pants were burning!!!!! NOOOO!!!!!
I had the same thing happen to a kid that worked at my shop. He put a nimh reciever pack in his pocket and the wires shorted. It was kind of funny watching him jump around and scream, till we realised what had happened. He had some pretty bad burns where the shrink wrap, and material from his pocket got embedded into his skin. He also got burned on his hand when he tried to pull the battery out of his pocket. I guess you can use this as an example and don't put batteries in your pockets.

WhoMe
07-01-2005, 03:48 AM
Sorry I laughed when i read this...This actually happened to somone I know..and it happend to me but it wasnt in my pocket..it was in a backpack and she just melted right on through and plopped on the floor.

P.S. This taking your pants off and running around in circles....LMAO!

mOOsE
07-01-2005, 06:24 AM
To answer your first question, it will only cause cancer if you live in california, because everything causes cancer there. And secondly, you should feel lucky that the cells did not burst or explode...that would have removed a leg or other important parts of anatomy. Sorry to hear about it.

hkopium
07-01-2005, 06:42 AM
...Dare to put a freshly charged LiPo in your pocket :D

Intellect 6 pack? I don't think that's Lipo...

akura2
07-01-2005, 08:13 AM
Sorry I laughed when i read this...This actually happened to somone I know..and it happend to me but it wasnt in my pocket..it was in a backpack and she just melted right on through and plopped on the floor.

P.S. This taking your pants off and running around in circles....LMAO!

That happened to me too at SoCal... i didnt have my battery box handy and we were packing up at the end of the race day and i tossed a battery pack into my back pack not realizing that my screwdriver was also in that same section.... first the smoke... then everyone was like "your pack is smoking".. next thing my batteries dropped out onto the floor along with some tools ad some badly melted miscellanous things that I could no longer recognize...

I put the batteries in the outer pocket of my pack because I thought it was empty and safe.... dam David Copperfield mystery screwdriver!.....

Battery pack still works though.... had to cycle it a couple of times ...and the run time is a tad lower... but I can still use it for practice....

adrenalinrush123998
07-01-2005, 10:31 PM
jubjub, im jewish...how would switching to christianity help me in any way?
jesus, and churches, have always scared me anywyas....im not to fond of looking at some guy hanging on cross every time i walk through the door.....

moose one of the cells actually DID burst...its pretty much wide open on one end....all the other ones are just charred and un-recognizeable....

holy infrno, ive watched a lipo-pack explode (they overcharged it on purpose to show what would happen) and theres no way in hell id ever even think of putting one of those in my pocket........ especially if it had exposed solder contacts

so no one knows when the halfeight shop will get the new 6-cells in stock from URC?...i really need a new pack here and it would be easier for me to just include a pack from this site in my next order...id do the kyosho 8-cell but i dont have an 8-cell charger...mine only does 7

and akura....are you one of the SoCal guys from beatyourtruck.com
if so, will you marry me?

.5x8
07-02-2005, 02:19 AM
lol dude that sucks! thats why i put heatshrink on my batteries..otherwise for my 1/10 scale pack...i just wrap the sides where exposed solder is with elec. tape!

akura2
07-02-2005, 04:10 AM
and akura....are you one of the SoCal guys from beatyourtruck.com
if so, will you marry me?

Nope... not me.... and I'm already married...:D

adrenalinrush123998
07-02-2005, 06:36 PM
awwww....darnit

i wanted to get one of their savages in the divorce :p

halfEIGHT
07-10-2005, 05:28 PM
actually, my intellect battery pack cought fire....in my pocket........ :D
2. when is the shop getting a new stock of the 6-cell URC packs in? i plan on making an order from here, and would really like to add one of those to it....

Yikes, sorry to hear that, hope you are okay now! :)

RE URC packs, s/b back in stock soon, URC just moved, so production is a little backed up. :)

Magnum P.I.
07-11-2005, 06:37 PM
i was laughing until i read you might get cancer from batts. i take batterys like c or d size and burst em open and stuff gets all over my hands. :D

but your lucky it was only your pants and battery that got destroid. i read some guy crashed his heli with lipos then put it in his durango and 10 min later the whole thing was up in flames. it totaled the durango and he lost a bunch of rc stuff.

Inferno454
07-11-2005, 09:16 PM
Hey u can charge a 8 cell pack with a 6-7 cell regular size charger i use a Prophet plus, since the cells are smaller a regular size charger can charge them.

Sideshow
07-12-2005, 05:44 AM
Im using a Great Planes Triton..GREAT for Nitro and Minis, Does .1-5.0 amps and 1-24 cells. Lipo, Nimh, Nicd everything.

BitHed
07-13-2005, 03:59 AM
...dont put your mini screwdriver and your battery pack into your waist pouch / fanny pack...And I thought i was JUST getting excited...lol...Almost had great balls of fire..lol...

Inferno454
07-15-2005, 02:38 AM
LOL. But can i use my prophet plus 6-7 cell charger to charge the smaller URC 8 cell sport packs?