PDA

View Full Version : aon 3900 or manba 5400?

rai13
06-28-2005, 08:01 PM
Does anyone know how the two compare in a half8? Castle is telling me the 5400 will go about 30 to 35mph with a 14 tooth pinion and 8 cells. I was also told i can put a 10 cell and get a little more power, just as long as i lay off full throttle for more than 5 sec. Aon seems to be the hot setup, but I can get a mamba for a little over half of the price of a aon 3900 setup and i want to utilize the programing adjustments from the mamba usb link.

by the way, anyone know about the 540 chassis from CAW. Any new news?

tia
Rai

.5x8
06-29-2005, 10:03 PM
umm...its aon 4900...and its a great motor for the h8...and the mamba series has heat problems..and with the mamba series, there have been some cogging problems...since the motor is so small...so i say go with the aon 4900 because its ALOT more torquey and it has less heat problems..either way you go...i would get a heatsink...and i really doubt you can go 30 to 35 mph with a mamba 5400 ..the 540 chassis is still in the works...or being prepped or something.. from waht i heard

masterbasser
07-07-2005, 02:28 AM
what is cogging? im a nitro guy and dont know a whole lot about electric. thanks

BitHed
07-07-2005, 04:09 AM
..motor gets tired...not enough juice, for whatever reason, to turn the COGS / gears etc...Hence cogging...it wiggles and jiggles about...

TNB
07-07-2005, 08:20 AM
what is cogging? im a nitro guy and dont know a whole lot about electric. thanks
"Traditionally, brushless motors have slotted stators. The stator consists of slotted iron laminae that are fused to form a solid, uniform stack. The slots form rows that extend the length of the stack, and the windings are inserted into each row. As the rotor turns, the magnets are more attracted to the stator’s teeth than the gaps between them. This uneven magnetic pull, called cogging , reduces the motor’s efficiency and makes it difficult to produce smooth motion at low speeds.

With slotted motors, you can take steps to reduce cogging , but there’s always a performance penalty,” says M. Eugene Bradshaw, manager of brushless motor engineering at Pittman (Harleysville, PA). “For example, you might need a little more power to run the motor, which will reduce its continuous torque capability. With a slotless design, you don’t have that penalty.”

http://www.assemblymag.com/CDA/ArticleInformation/coverstory/BNPCoverStoryItem/0,6490,107996,00.html

"This term describes the non-uniform angular velocity of the rotation of the motor rotor. Rather than a smooth motion, the rotation occurs in jerks or increments. The lower the cogging, the smoother the rotation, which the driver will experience as smooth driving."

http://www.teamnovak.com/products/brushless/ssport/ss5800.html

bboots583
07-07-2005, 01:14 PM
So is the AON slotted or slotless?

theturd
08-03-2005, 09:02 AM
AON Thrust series is of slotless design. However don't believe that one type of design is better than another. Each design will have its strengths and weakness. As a user, we hope you will take advantage of the strength to match your own driving/steering/piloting strengths.

Note: AON will have other designs such as outrunners and slotted in the future.

Peace,
Steven Chao
AON Electric